HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2012, 11:37 PM
3d flippin
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Jan 2012
1,857 Posts
i am really interested in this radio and like the price as everyone has said i am coming from a spektrum dx6i and this would be a nice up grade i am over spectrum it has worked well for 5 months but i am advancing way to fast and want to start competition flying soon and will want a better radio
i am considering the T8j the hitec A9 or last due the cost the 8fgs
love the 8fg but it costs so much
like the hitec but a buddy of mine had a freak failure after a week of owning it
and i have just one question on the 8j that i can not find anywhere that is keeping me from pulling the trigger and that is......is the resolution 2048? and is the response time(latency) as fast as say the 8fg? witch is like 7ms or something like that compared to my 6i being about 56ms?????????? please help
The_MonsterMash is offline Find More Posts by The_MonsterMash
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2012, 11:51 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_MonsterMash View Post
i am really interested in this radio and like the price as everyone has said i am coming from a spektrum dx6i and this would be a nice up grade i am over spectrum it has worked well for 5 months but i am advancing way to fast and want to start competition flying soon and will want a better radio
i am considering the T8j the hitec A9 or last due the cost the 8fgs
love the 8fg but it costs so much
like the hitec but a buddy of mine had a freak failure after a week of owning it
and i have just one question on the 8j that i can not find anywhere that is keeping me from pulling the trigger and that is......is the resolution 2048? and is the response time(latency) as fast as say the 8fg? witch is like 7ms or something like that compared to my 6i being about 56ms?????????? please help
What kind of competition are you going to fly?

What kind of mixing will you need?

What types of planes?

Do you really think you can feel 20 ms?
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old May 11, 2012, 12:40 AM
3d flippin
Joined Jan 2012
1,857 Posts
i want to fly freestyle unlimited but thats about 5 months off i just want to get used to the radio and test it before i get to that point and i dont think i can feel that its nice to trick the mind because that's all that number really is i do really want 2048 resolution though
Old May 11, 2012, 07:19 AM
Joined Sep 2002
1,037 Posts
Quote:
... i do really want 2048 resolution though
Why?
Pippin is offline Find More Posts by Pippin
Old May 11, 2012, 08:38 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,040 Posts
Quote:
i want to fly freestyle unlimited but thats about 5 months off i just want to get used to the radio and test it before i get to that point and i dont think i can feel that its nice to trick the mind because that's all that number really is i do really want 2048 resolution though
Far more important than latency is mixing. Do you know what mixes are typically used by Freestyle pilots? Have you confirmed that this radio has these mixes?

Latency and resolution should be published specs. All you have to do is read the specs to know if it is a 2048 radio. I am SURE you read all the specs on the radio already so you know the answer to this.
Old May 11, 2012, 10:58 AM
3d flippin
Joined Jan 2012
1,857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Far more important than latency is mixing. Do you know what mixes are typically used by Freestyle pilots? Have you confirmed that this radio has these mixes?

Latency and resolution should be published specs. All you have to do is read the specs to know if it is a 2048 radio. I am SURE you read all the specs on the radio already so you know the answer to this.
have not been able to find it at all sounds like you haven't ether or it would be a simple answer
Old May 11, 2012, 05:42 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,040 Posts
Have not looked. Not interested in buying this radio. Interested in hearing about it. But if I was going to buy it I would read the specs and skim the manual. I would look for those features that would be important to the type of flying I do.

For example, I fly sailplanes mostly. So I look for sailplane mixes. If the radio does not have the mixes I want/need, then the rest doesn't matter. So I am suggesting that you start with the mixes you need to determine if this radio will meet your needs. I have absolutely no idea what mixing a Freestyle pilot would use.

Then and only then will it matter if it is 2048 or what the latency numbers are.
Old May 11, 2012, 06:50 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
955 Posts
I know they taut 6.8ms as high speed mode for S-FHSS

my wild guess as for why they havent published the resolution atleast very publiclly, is because #a its 1024 and dont want to admit it, #b its 2048 or higher and dont want to futher alienate the FASST crowd..

As for mixes, the 8J actually has more programmable mixes than an 8FG, although probably much less pre-programmed 'canned' mixes, but it does seem like a very capable radio.
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach
Old May 12, 2012, 02:32 AM
3d flippin
Joined Jan 2012
1,857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach View Post
I know they taut 6.8ms as high speed mode for S-FHSS

my wild guess as for why they havent published the resolution atleast very publiclly, is because #a its 1024 and dont want to admit it, #b its 2048 or higher and dont want to futher alienate the FASST crowd..

As for mixes, the 8J actually has more programmable mixes than an 8FG, although probably much less pre-programmed 'canned' mixes, but it does seem like a very capable radio.
that is what i am hopeing for i just want a good solid upgrade from the 6i and this feels nice in the hand with nice gimbals that i bealive are ball barring i am going to go with option A lol
Old May 29, 2012, 05:56 AM
Ron - AMA 1025
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Aug 2005
280 Posts
Futaba 8J

Retiring my good old Futaba 8UAF after about 15 years. It's been a great tx but time to move on. After a lot of research and checking out almost every tx by every manf, I bought the 8J. I needed the 20 model memory and don't need all the gimmicks such as telemetry. Also liked the price on rx's.
ronwc is online now Find More Posts by ronwc
Old May 29, 2012, 02:31 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Jun 2011
16 Posts
Availability

FYI for anyone looking at this transmitter: I ordered from Tower on May 14 with the expected ship date of "Late May". Today they briefly listed it as "In Stock" and now it has changed to "Early June".

The extra receiver I ordered (R2008SB) was listed as "Late May" is now listed as "Late June".

Not feelin' the love, here.

Does anyone have a better source?
kgibson4 is offline Find More Posts by kgibson4
Old May 29, 2012, 03:01 PM
Ron - AMA 1025
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Aug 2005
280 Posts
8j

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgibson4 View Post
FYI for anyone looking at this transmitter: I ordered from Tower on May 14 with the expected ship date of "Late May". Today they briefly listed it as "In Stock" and now it has changed to "Early June".

The extra receiver I ordered (R2008SB) was listed as "Late May" is now listed as "Late June".

I'm in the same boat with Tower, just ordered the 8J - also ordered some 2006SB rx's which show as shipped. Early June is in two days, hopefully we will both get the tx soon.
Old May 29, 2012, 03:14 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgibson4 View Post

IMHO the love is strong - many people have backordered theirs.
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2012, 03:46 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Jun 2011
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwc View Post
Early June is in two days, hopefully we will both get the tx soon.
Ron,
I admire your positive attitude. I will try to adjust my own.
kgibson4 is offline Find More Posts by kgibson4
Old Jun 01, 2012, 06:41 AM
Ron - AMA 1025
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Aug 2005
280 Posts
8j

Received notice with tracking # that my new 8J shipped and will be here by next Tuesday. Will report back what I think about it, hopefully good news.