SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 29, 2012, 05:28 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2012
171 Posts
I have to say that even with the price difference I would stil go DX8 over this. For one there is telemetry, I also like the servo slow feature which is also absent in the T8J.
I used to work at the local hobby shop and myself and all my colleagues would never direct hobbiest towards Futaba, not because we were biased towards other brands but simply because of things like BNF and the vast array of helis and aircraft you can buy and simply bind then fly.
Futaba has worked there way out of the entry level market and I believe there products are more suited for very high end enthusiasts with bigger budgets.
I really hope that Futaba and Great planes will wake up and give Horizon some competition, but having seen what people are buying first hand at the LHS I feel they are becoming less relevant everyday.
Essar.
essar is offline Find More Posts by essar
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:05 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,245 Posts
The T8J is not in the same price class as the DX8, in fact it's about 20 bucks cheaper than the DX7s
The DX8 is closer to the Futaba 8FG in price, other than no telemetry as yet, the 8FG is much more radio than the DX8.
Hobbico is fighting back in the BNF arena. The AnyLink models look good, and the Micros are very nice for less money than any of the BNF stuff. I have the Fokker Dr1 on order. The videos of it flying in a gym look good.
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Apr 30, 2012, 04:38 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2012
171 Posts
It would be a great Radio for those looking for like a 6 or 7 channel, For the same money they can buy much more radio.
It's true its not in the same price class as the dx8, but it's not as much radio as dx8 either.
Last edited by essar; Apr 30, 2012 at 05:06 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:25 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by essar View Post
I have to say that even with the price difference I would stil go DX8 over this. For one there is telemetry, I also like the servo slow feature which is also absent in the T8J.
I used to work at the local hobby shop and myself and all my colleagues would never direct hobbiest towards Futaba, not because we were biased towards other brands but simply because of things like BNF and the vast array of helis and aircraft you can buy and simply bind then fly.
Futaba has worked there way out of the entry level market and I believe there products are more suited for very high end enthusiasts with bigger budgets.
I really hope that Futaba and Great planes will wake up and give Horizon some competition, but having seen what people are buying first hand at the LHS I feel they are becoming less relevant everyday.
Essar.
Interesting points.. The radio itself is becoming less of the buy. It is becoming an ecosystem decision.

Unless you have Very specific needs, like sailplane mixing, telemetry, more than 6 channels, snap roll, or something like that, even today's entry level radios will do a fine job for most sport pilots. Model memories is a big driver here. 10 seems barely adequate today.. 20 should be enough.

Clearly competition pilots want and need more mixing. They also want more dials, switches and levers.. Often they have matched radios for back-up purposes, so they need a way to move models between radios.

Online updates are VERY desirable. Who wants to ship a radio back for updates. And now they are adding features as part of the updates. The Futaba 8FG went from 8 to 12 channels via a software update. Cool!. Spektrum had to fix a DSM2 issue on the new DSMX radios.

It is the acessories that are making the difference today. BNF or TX-ready planes and helies are a big one. HH has really built huge demand for their Spektrum systems based on the BNF series.

I think Hobbico's Anylink is a brilliant move. It makes their TX-ready planes the first real competition to HH's BNF. And TX-ready has made the Tactic radios at least worth looking at for entry level buyers.

Hobby people now have a few ibind planes for their Airtronics radios and more on the way.. But they are so far behind.

Hitec will have their own BnF style planes in June. And their receivers are typically lower cost than the others. They should catch up quickly as the new planes are based on the extremely popular Easy Glider and Easy Star and I think one other Multiplex palne. Hitec owns Multiplex.

There is none of this for Futaba ..... Yet. But it is coming, and it will not be based on FASST.

I fly Futaba FASST and 72, but I also have an Anylink and have a Spektrum module on order for my Futaba 9C. So I can fly TX-R and BnF planes too.

So, for all the accessories, I would buy Spektrum DX7 or DX8 over Futaba 8J. And you can get DSM2 compatible receivers cheap that seem to work well.. It is hard to beat the Spektrum ecosystem.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Apr 30, 2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:46 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2012
171 Posts
Well said.
Old May 03, 2012, 09:44 AM
Hamburg, GER
Joined Sep 2009
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
So, for all the accessories, I would buy Spektrum DX7 or DX8 over Futaba 8J. And you can get DSM2 compatible receivers cheap that seem to work well.. It is hard to beat the Spektrum ecosystem.
My personal experience with the DX8 + cheap DSM2 rx is that's it's russian roulette! I had at least 3 crashes and some dangerous situations with this combo. It might work well for many but it did not for me. I had the DX8 serviced, updated,... but still it loses signal to even an original 6255 dsmx as well. I simply don't trust it any longer.

I'm about to converet to Futaba, T-8J that is, because I want reliability and original rx for a reasonable price. That's what FHSS offers to me with their FHSS line without the over hyped telemetry. That's pure marketing to me and I believe Futaba will release something fancy for FHSS in the future any way. We'll see what comes out...

I started with Spektrum because I was able to get things working as a newbie without a manual and BNF was easy. But as you progress with your skills and models Spektrum does not seem to be as attractive to me as it used to be.
Jenne is offline Find More Posts by Jenne
Old May 03, 2012, 10:56 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenne View Post
My personal experience with the DX8 + cheap DSM2 rx is that's it's russian roulette! I had at least 3 crashes and some dangerous situations with this combo. It might work well for many but it did not for me. I had the DX8 serviced, updated,... but still it loses signal to even an original 6255 dsmx as well. I simply don't trust it any longer.

I'm about to converet to Futaba, T-8J that is, because I want reliability and original rx for a reasonable price. That's what FHSS offers to me with their FHSS line without the over hyped telemetry. That's pure marketing to me and I believe Futaba will release something fancy for FHSS in the future any way. We'll see what comes out...

I started with Spektrum because I was able to get things working as a newbie without a manual and BNF was easy. But as you progress with your skills and models Spektrum does not seem to be as attractive to me as it used to be.
A real good reason to change brands.
Old May 06, 2012, 04:55 PM
Norway
Joined Apr 2012
20 Posts
I've been using my T8J for about 15 flights on my trainer now.
Still loving it. Was slightly disappointed that there wasn't a neckstrap in the box, it's only 2,50$ on ebay, but it's annoying that i had to get one myself.
I still think the plastic housing could have been built to a better feel. A DX8 feels more like a quality product in the hand, but then, i'll take my reliable Futaba over the Spektrum any day because of the Spektrum issues I'm always hearing and reading about.

No issues what so ever so far. It just works, and works well.
Tried to test the range with a R2006GS rx, and got perfect operation at 1800m (well over a mile), so i guess the built in antenna works well.

Setup has been a joy. I still think the JR's and Spektrum's are easier to use, but I got used to the T8J pretty fast, and now i jump around the menus easily. However, I still struggle a little with the flaperon setup. It's easy enough to activate, but the adjustments make little sense to me, and the manual isn't really making sense on this either. A little youtubing and a few tips from a 8FG user has got me on the right track though.

Been using it a lot with simulator also, and got close to exactly 10hrs of use on one set of batteries. I've considered getting a rechargeable pack for it, but I doubt I'll bother.

I still say it's great value at 280$,
Skalle is offline Find More Posts by Skalle
Old May 07, 2012, 09:52 PM
United States, SC, Clemson
Joined Dec 2011
113 Posts
I have been looking at this radio with great interest. Has there been any word from futaba about upgrading the 8fg to support S-FHSS? I would like an upgrade path in the future that doesn't involve getting a 18mz. To be honest it doesn't have to be a 8fg. It could be a new radio. I just dont want to shelll out 3k for a backwards compatible radio.
redradar is offline Find More Posts by redradar
Last edited by redradar; May 29, 2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old May 08, 2012, 04:35 AM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,659 Posts
I don't regard FHSS feature on a FASST Tx as backwards compatibility, it's more cheapness compatibility as FHSS came in after FASST to compete with lower cost radios. If it's the cost of the receivers that is a concern rather than the initial investment of the Tx then the 8FG is the obvious choice since there are some great FASST receivers made by FRSky at a fraction of the cost of the brand FASST or FHSS ones. I was initially sceptical about cheap Chinese "clones" but personal experience and reviews by others have convinced me these are a viable alternative.
IMO once you have a FASST radio you can pretty much ignore Futaba's FHSS system.
AndyOne is offline Find More Posts by AndyOne
Old May 08, 2012, 06:21 AM
UK
Joined Jun 2008
18 Posts
I have an 8J and have used it and, like Skalle, found it excellent. The UK version came with a four-cell rechargeable NIMH battery which makes the transmitter very light.

The lower cost receivers was one reason for getting it. I have a FASST set but have not bought any cheap non-Futaba receivers because it is not clear that the BMFA insurance (the main source of insurance for model flyers in the UK) would be valid in that case.
angelotti is offline Find More Posts by angelotti
Old May 08, 2012, 06:50 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,466 Posts
Check with BMFA. I belive BMFA accepts FrSky system using their own protocol. They are likely to also accept FrSky/FASST receivers.

Note that these are not CLONES. Clones pretend to be the real thing. These are unique designs that run the same protocol. Compatible receivers have been available for years and years. Hitec, FMA, Berg and others made receivers that were Airtroncis, JR and Futaba compabible and many people preferred them to the brand that matched their radios.

No doubt there are FASST clones out there somewhere but the FrSky and Orange FASST receivers are not clones.
Old May 08, 2012, 08:01 AM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,659 Posts
Clones in operation only that's why I used "".
MY FRSKy receivers have the CE mark so there's no reason they should be disallowed. There are after all many less reliable systems out there that have not been discriminated against, although I think the should be.

A.
Old May 08, 2012, 02:07 PM
UK
Joined Jun 2008
18 Posts
I did check with BMFA about insurance when using an Orange FASST receiver with a Futaba FASST transmitter. They sent me a copy of an article in the BMFA magazine which I had missed.

That began by saying that the ETSI standard for transmitters on 2.4GHz makes little reference to receivers because it is mainly concerned that transmitters should not interfere with other users. That is similar to the situation when 35 MHz was introduced in the UK in 1981. Some receivers could not manage the narrow band spacing.

The article then said that the presence of a CE marking is a good starting point but is not the full story. It said "the safest option is still to purchase recognised equipment that (has) been supplied through the recognised importer for the brand of equipment" which I take to mean that ideally we should use Futaba receivers with Futaba transmitters.

The article goes on to refer to the "Air Navigation Order" and says that requires the pilot to satisfy himself that he can safely carry out the intended flight, which is as we would expect.

This suggests that if you are sure that the equipment is good, everything is fine. However, in the case of an accident, I would worry about having to convince those who would need convincing that the differently sourced equipment was not an issue, whether or not it was.
angelotti is offline Find More Posts by angelotti
Old May 08, 2012, 05:16 PM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,659 Posts
I've seen installations that the owner was perfectly satisfied with, the problem was they had no idea what they were doing. So the safety of a set-up is entirely down to the competence of the user.

A.