Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:35 PM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
1,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
I really don't like how Futaba do their bind mode at all. I dislike the fact that it'll lock onto any Futaba S-FHSS transmitter nearby - not necessarily yours!

I'd love to see what would happen and how easy it is to try to bind in a busy, close environment such as indoors flying.

Si.
Why would you want to bind in that environment?? Did you forget the Rx at home and quickly had to nip into the Hobby store for a new one?

I link all my new Rx to my Tx at home. I NEVER have to relink them, ever. I move some Rx from plane to plane and don't rebind. There is no need, Its a once of thing.
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:41 PM
Ron - AMA 1025
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Aug 2005
281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBle View Post
Why would you want to bind in that environment?? Did you forget the Rx at home and quickly had to nip into the Hobby store for a new one?

I link all my new Rx to my Tx at home. I NEVER have to relink them, ever. I move some Rx from plane to plane and don't rebind. There is no need, Its a once of thing.
The 8J tx has to be within 20 inches or less of rx to bind. I've already set up about 10 of my planes, and tx has to be very close to bind. been flying this tx a lot over the last month or so, the more i fly it, the better i like it. Works perfect so far.
ronwc is online now Find More Posts by ronwc
Last edited by ronwc; Sep 12, 2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:51 PM
United States, FL, Miramar
Joined Dec 2007
1,232 Posts
I have LINK Futaba rx's in really busy environments and it will only LINK to the tx that is close to it which is mine.

P.S. sometimes guys want to try my radio with their models, we LINK them real quick at the field with no issues at all.

Doug.
DougV is online now Find More Posts by DougV
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:06 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
1,401 Posts
I know its not a problem to link to the Futaba tx in a busy environment, I've done it plenty of times while helping other folk out. I just don't see why anyone wants to do it though.
Wanna fly my plane, use my radio. The plane is set up in the radio so no need to go through set up again.
Want to try out my radio, be my guest but I'm not linking my plne to someone else's radio at the field. The link procedure is simple and quick and extremely robust but I still don't link at the field
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:43 AM
UK
Joined Sep 2010
19 Posts
Fail safe....again!

Sorry gents, I know I've been on here before about the failsafe but still can't get it to work.

On the failsafe setting page of my tx I've set it up as follows:

1: Ail: F/S - 14%
2: Ele: F/S - 22%
3: Thr: F/S 0% ACT
4: Rud: F/S - 0%

With all other channels set to NOR.

I've binded with the rx again in an attempt to send the failsafe setting to the rx (Ripmax / Futaba also advised me to do this) but it doesn't seemed to have done anything - when I set the throttle going and hold one of the channels to full deflection and then turn off the tx nothing changes - it just stays where the channels were last set.

One response last time told me that it takes 10 - 20 seconds for the failsafe to go across to the model - I think that was whilst binding the tx & rx but mine seems to bind within 5 seconds - should I be leaving the binding plug in for longer before switching the rx & tx off and removing it?

I'm using one of the FTR rx's that are sold with the acrowot foam e but again ripmax say it is compatible with the failsafe function.

Any ideas?

Sam
ozzieparky is offline Find More Posts by ozzieparky
Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:53 AM
no discrimination, I crash all
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Nov 2011
273 Posts
Hi Sam,

Which exact receiver number/model is in the plane?

This may help some of the experts here to give input.

Thanks,

Jason
ncsky is offline Find More Posts by ncsky
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:42 AM
UK
Joined Sep 2010
19 Posts
Hi Jason,

I can't find a model / number for this rx but have attached a photo of it (nicked from the acro-wot manual!). I use these as my local shop does them for cheap when they're taken out of the kits for people who don't want ftr.

Hope that helps...

Cheers

Sam
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:53 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
941 Posts
Does it still drive the servos when the transmitter is switched off? Or do they go loose and floppy?

Does the Throttle failsafe work?
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:10 AM
numnutchris
Joined Sep 2009
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzieparky View Post
Hi Jason,

I can't find a model / number for this rx but have attached a photo of it (nicked from the acro-wot manual!). I use these as my local shop does them for cheap when they're taken out of the kits for people who don't want ftr.

Hope that helps...

Cheers

Sam
As the Ripmax FTR kit Tx looks like some of the chinese cheap TXes (like flysky) they probably havent adopted F/S. If youve tried everytning else you might try binding it with the Tx set in F/S positions (sticks and switches).
With the FS set by Tx menus, watch the servos a couple of minutes, Futabas send FS every two minutes or so; on some 3rd party Rxes you could see some servo jitter those moments.
numnutchris is offline Find More Posts by numnutchris
Last edited by numnutchris; Sep 17, 2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:23 PM
Bax
Central Illinois
Joined May 2003
254 Posts
With Futaba systems, you do not relink to "send" the failsafe information to the receiver. If your receiver is failsafe-capable, it will get the information when you turn on the transmitter, so turn on Rx first, then TX. Also every few minutes, the transmitter resends the failsafe information. Relinking is a receiver-only function, and has nothing to do with the failsafe.

For Futaba receivers, the 8-channel and higher receivers have failsafe on all channels., The smaller receivers have failsafe on throttle only. If you do not have a Futaba receiver, but some other brand, check with the maker of the receiver.

Bill Baxter, Manager
Futaba Service Center North America
3002 N. Apollo Dr. Suite 1
Champaign IL 61822
USA

Phone: (217) 398-0007
Fax: (217) 398-7721
Email: service@futaba-rc.com
Web: http://www.futaba-rc.com/index.html
Bax is offline Find More Posts by Bax
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:07 PM
UK
Joined Sep 2010
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax View Post
With Futaba systems, you do not relink to "send" the failsafe information to the receiver. If your receiver is failsafe-capable, it will get the information when you turn on the transmitter, so turn on Rx first, then TX. Also every few minutes, the transmitter resends the failsafe information. Relinking is a receiver-only function, and has nothing to do with the failsafe.

For Futaba receivers, the 8-channel and higher receivers have failsafe on all channels., The smaller receivers have failsafe on throttle only. If you do not have a Futaba receiver, but some other brand, check with the maker of the receiver.
Thanks Bill - I'll try turning on the rx first and take it from there. Have you any experience of the FTR rx's that are coming with the Acro Wot Foam E or is that different on the UK side of the water?

Cheers

Sam
Old Sep 19, 2012, 05:19 AM
Team Hillbilly (UK)
United Kingdom, England, Cambs
Joined Oct 2011
1,396 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Bill - I'll try turning on the rx first and take it from there. Have you any experience of the FTR rx's that are coming with the Acro Wot Foam E or is that different on the UK side of the water?

Cheers

Sam
Hi Sam only know one place that does that rx and that's Inwood models....are you local to cambs/?
Space Bat is offline Find More Posts by Space Bat
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:22 PM
UK
Joined Sep 2010
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Bat View Post
Hi Sam only know one place that does that rx and that's Inwood models....are you local to cambs/?
Hi Space Bat - sort of (my parents live near to Inwoods) but I've alsoseen thier trade stand at LMA Cosford and the Nats...They say they just take them out of the acrowot kits when people don't want them and at Ģ20 a pop it helps to keep the funds flowing!
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:06 AM
Team Hillbilly (UK)
United Kingdom, England, Cambs
Joined Oct 2011
1,396 Posts
Quote:
Hi Space Bat - sort of (my parents live near to Inwoods) but I've alsoseen thier trade stand at LMA Cosford and the Nats...They say they just take them out of the acrowot kits when people don't want them and at Ģ20 a pop it helps to keep the funds flowing!
I am interested in these RX's but was hesitant to get any as not sure the pedigree....Inwoods say the ripmax ones are using code and design that Futaba gave/sold them....so in theory should be good.....

But am on the fence until I know they are on a par with the genuine futaba ones as don't want to learn the hard way....

If anyone can shed light on the ripmax versions on how good - range...etc
Space Bat is offline Find More Posts by Space Bat
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:32 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
941 Posts
Given they have the Futaba trademarked logo printed on them, I would imagine they're equivalent quality to a standard Futaba receiver. In fact I would put money on the fact that Futaba probably manufacture them. I'd be surprised if they risk relying on a company who has no knowledge or experience of producing electronic equipment with their designs and firmware. That's how counterfeit electronics happen!

Knowing Futaba they've probably deliberately cobbled Failsafe (perhaps just having it on the throttle channel), so it doesn't directly compete with their main line of receivers. For example, I believe the Futaba R617FS only has failsafe on ch3. Even though to make failsafe on all channels is a couple extra lines of code...

Cheers,
Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member