Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:05 PM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
510 Posts
Thanks studioRS,

I managed to get a couple of flights in this evening before the sun disappeared. It was dead calm and I enjoyed some gentle cruising around.
stevespana is offline Find More Posts by stevespana
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:24 AM
Joined May 2012
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevespana View Post
Thanks studioRS,

I managed to get a couple of flights in this evening before the sun disappeared. It was dead calm and I enjoyed some gentle cruising around.
Hallo.
I just got a new asw17 from Jamara as a Christmas present.
Next week if everything goes well I am planning the maiden flight.
The Jamara version comes only with a 10A ESC.So planning to replace it with a 30A as Steve did.
Unpacking has been a little dissapointing.There are blemishes all around the plane,perhaps the quality control should be better.
I have a quick question though.How do you transport the glider?.
Do you keep the tail mounted.?
Does anyone use a backpack bag similar to the one that HK sells?
Thanks a lot.
supermoth is offline Find More Posts by supermoth
Old Apr 13, 2013, 06:54 AM
rc aircraft crasher
United States, MI, Lansing
Joined Sep 2012
251 Posts
i was just looking around and stumbled on this thread. i bought one of these a few months ago and i just take the wings off and throw it in the car.

i dont know if its just me or if its the glider but the rudder seems to be pretty useless on mine. it just goes into a forward slip (sometime not even that) so i use a really light bank and yank method. when doing that it tends to loose altitude dramatically and almost stall. does anyone have any ideas?

how was that other glider in the link covered? paper towel? i like it and would like to do it too
jnmardister is offline Find More Posts by jnmardister
Old Apr 13, 2013, 09:05 AM
scotland
Joined Jul 2003
195 Posts
I mix aileron and rudder , and when i turn I feed a little up elevator.. seems to work for me
gordynic is offline Find More Posts by gordynic
Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:40 AM
rc aircraft crasher
Joined Sep 2012
251 Posts
well i flew again today and it was much better. there wasnt so much wind today so when i turned it didnt get blown over.

what size battery are you using? i use a 3s 2200mah i have a 3s 1000mah but its just way too tail heavy and its too light so it gets blown around like a rag doll. what are your thoughts?
Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:59 AM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnmardister View Post
how was that other glider in the link covered? paper towel? i like it and would like to do it too
I use tight weave bed sheet cloth, 3M Super77 spray glue, Zap Medium CA glue to cover EPO foam.

Explained in my blog http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1494472
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:00 AM
scotland
Joined Jul 2003
195 Posts
I've just got back in from an hour in the park, this plane does not like gusty weather. I flew three batteries, all of them 3s 800ah , they give about three good climb outs per charge about 10 -15 minutes each.... I also flew my wilga ...it doesn't like it windy either
Old Apr 13, 2013, 12:10 PM
rc aircraft crasher
Joined Sep 2012
251 Posts
yeah i could imagine with a small battery like that you would get blown around. thats why i stick to the big battery for more weight in the wind.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 02:18 AM
scotland
Joined Jul 2003
195 Posts
I used a heavier battery.. It floats.a bit better with the lighter one. I should use one of my 2200s. as ballast..... maybe next time its breezy
Old Apr 17, 2013, 04:13 AM
rc aircraft crasher
Joined Sep 2012
251 Posts
yeah, i tried it with my lighter battery on a calm day and i really didnt like how it handled. so i think i will only use my 2200 batteries.

how is your climb out? mine is rather slow, so i would like to find an easy way to make it climb faster.
Old Sep 01, 2013, 06:02 PM
Joined May 2012
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioRS View Post
Awesome! The photos do look nice too, gotta love that gurly girl with the shades on
Hi there again.
I am trying to refurbish my ASW17 after a few incidents with it.
I loved your blog explaining the fabric coat for your gliders.A few questions arised yesterday while wachinh your great
ictures.
How do you proceed with the cotton? D o you first apply the 3M glue oever the fuse and the the fabric on top of it?
Last but not the least,how do you protect your wings?.They look as new.
Do you use packing tape? If so how is the process?
Thanks once more for your help.
Cheers.
Smoth
P.D: How can I get a pilot like Steeve's?
Old Sep 01, 2013, 06:47 PM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermoth View Post
Hi there again.
I am trying to refurbish my ASW17 after a few incidents with it.
I loved your blog explaining the fabric coat for your gliders.A few questions arised yesterday while wachinh your great
ictures.
How do you proceed with the cotton? D o you first apply the 3M glue oever the fuse and the the fabric on top of it?
Last but not the least,how do you protect your wings?.They look as new.
Do you use packing tape? If so how is the process?
Thanks once more for your help.
Cheers.
Smoth
P.D: How can I get a pilot like Steeve's?
Applying cotton over fuselage.
1. Prepare the fuselage imperfections and damage with light weight wall spackle.
2. Sand to smooth finish.
3. Cut the cotton sheet into section to fit and wrap around the fuselage. Different size pieces to fit.
4. Spray the 3M Super77 glue on the cotton sheeting, let dry 15 sec.
5. Wrap the cotton tight on the fuselage and reposition to remove wrinkles.
6. Seal the seams where the cotton sheet comes together with Zap Medium CA
7. Soak the entire cotton covered fuselage, back and forth with the CA.
8. After the CA dries, sand down to a smooth finish.
9. Paint with primer, after the primer dries, sand down to smooth finish
10. Paint with white.

Wings have 3M clear heavy duty packing tape on leading edge and trailing edge.

I do not know where Steve purchased his girl pilot.

Hope this helps, Thompson
Old Sep 01, 2013, 06:53 PM
Joined May 2012
130 Posts
Hi Thomson,sorry to look like an idiot.
A little bit confused with steps 3,4 and 5.
So you get your cloth without anything on it around the fuse,and the you spray on top the glue as the cloth is already around the fuse?
Do you cover fully the wing underneath with the tape?
Sorry to ask so many questions I just want to reinforce it well ,since I got hooked up with slope Landings have been a li tle bit harsh.
By the way what tools do you use to paint?
Thanks.
Old Sep 01, 2013, 10:36 PM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,311 Posts
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, here it is again in more detail.

3. Cut the cotton sheet into sections and test fit by wrapping around the fuselage. Trim as needed to get individual pieces to cover the whole fuselage. You will have several different sizes for the fuselage, one piece will not work because if so many curves. You do this before gluing to make sure they are the correct size. After cutting all patterns out, remove all cloth sections from the fuselage.

4. Take each section you just cut and one at a time, lightly spray the 3M Super77 on one side of each sheet by itself, letting the glue set for 15 sec. Then apply each section over the fuselage.

5. If needed, stretch areas of each section taught to form a smooth surface without wrinkles. Note: letting the glue set for 15 sec on the cloth in step 4 will allow you to reposition the cloth fabric as needed to remove wrinkles and still keep some adhesive on.

You can use the clear tape for the leading edge, trailing edge and any areas that need reinforcement or you suspect need covering to make smooth.

Hope this helps.
Thompson
Old Sep 04, 2013, 05:22 PM
Joined May 2012
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioRS View Post
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, here it is again in more detail.

3. Cut the cotton sheet into sections and test fit by wrapping around the fuselage. Trim as needed to get individual pieces to cover the whole fuselage. You will have several different sizes for the fuselage, one piece will not work because if so many curves. You do this before gluing to make sure they are the correct size. After cutting all patterns out, remove all cloth sections from the fuselage.

4. Take each section you just cut and one at a time, lightly spray the 3M Super77 on one side of each sheet by itself, letting the glue set for 15 sec. Then apply each section over the fuselage.

5. If needed, stretch areas of each section taught to form a smooth surface without wrinkles. Note: letting the glue set for 15 sec on the cloth in step 4 will allow you to reposition the cloth fabric as needed to remove wrinkles and still keep some adhesive on.

You can use the clear tape for the leading edge, trailing edge and any areas that need reinforcement or you suspect need covering to make smooth.

Hope this helps.
Thompson
Thompson thanks a lot.
I am still a rookie and you did help a bunch.!!!!
As soon as I have a little bit of time I will refurbish the ASW17.I am gonna star with the wingtips.
Is it really easy to sand the surface once the CA is dry?.
Also I am experimenting with some filler in order to repair minor blemishes after rough landings,if I want to paint directly over the filler does not absorb the paint to much?.How can I make a glossy paint job?.
Finally I just forgot to ask if you know where to get a replacement spinner only.I did deform it a bit.Ebay DE has them but they ask for an arm and a leg for them.Any similar replacement will be fine.

Thanks a lot
Smoth.
Last edited by supermoth; Sep 04, 2013 at 05:28 PM.