HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 02, 2012, 06:49 PM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
547 Posts
ASW17 Maiden

The delay in maidening the ASW17 was down to several factors;

1. Other projects
2. Aileron servo arm quick-link grub screw not purchasing on the control rod and had to be replaced.
3. The model is very nose heavy so located the Rx in a cutout behind the landing wheel.
4. Changed the ESC connector so I could use some light 1200mah 3S lipos to get correct CofG. Note: They are only rated at 10C.

CofG set at the recommended 52mm prior to the maiden. All control surface deflections also as recommended in the manual. AUW = 833g

Now to the actual maiden.

Not really ideal conditions; wind about 10 - 15mph and blustery. Egged on by my friends I couldn't just leave it on terra firma.

One of the said friends launched the model. With full power it climbed much better and quicker than I expected given the lipo I was using. Once at a reasonable height I circled and headed straight into the breeze to attempt to trim the model. It needed quite a few clicks of up elevator to maintain level flight with power off. Some aileron trim was also needed.

The breezy conditions made it difficult to trim out the plane properly and after about 5 minutes of nervous flying I landed and breathed a sigh of relief that the model was still in one piece. From that very brief flight I didn't detect any bad tendencies and the controls were smooth and responsive.

The model looks very elegant in the air but it's slim profile does make it difficult to see against a cloudy sky. I'm in the process of adding some additional red trim to aid orientation. I will also relocate the CofG before the next flight wcich (weather permitting) will be this coming weekend.

Steve.
stevespana is online now Find More Posts by stevespana
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2012, 09:56 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
547 Posts
Flight 2

Managed a second flight today.

I have added red trim to the underside of the wings to aid orientation and make it easier to see; worked well.

I set the CofG at aprox 54mm from the LE of the wing.

The wind was a bit lighter today so better conditions to get to grips with the model.

Observations: I still needed elevator up trim when gliding power off. I will move the lipo back a tad in prep for the next flight. I added a small weight to the tip of the right wing ( it was 9g lighter than the left) to try to counteract the need for aileron trim. Result - a tad of aileron trim still required but nothing to worry about.

Overall; with a couple more flights to finally sort out the CofG and trim I'm sure this will be a great flyer.

Finally, todays 10 minute flight (combination of power on/power off) consumed only 400mah from the battery. The ASW 17 does not need tons of power to fly so flight times should be excellent in the right conditions.

Steve.
Old May 05, 2012, 11:40 AM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
Thank you for the report Steve, all the way from Spain!
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Old May 05, 2012, 11:51 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
547 Posts
De nada studioRS.

Hoping to get to the field again tomorrow. I have 5 planes packed in the car ready for an early getaway!

Steve.
Old May 27, 2012, 01:36 PM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
547 Posts
I did a couple more flights with the ASW 17 this weekend with the lipo a tad further back. The model now flies nice and smoothly with no need for the up trim.

Next step is to experiment a little with some aileron/rudder mixes.

At the moment I prefer flying this model to my 2.3m Fox which still needs CofG sorting.

Steve.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 07:31 AM
scotland
Joined Jul 2003
220 Posts
flew it yesterday there was a crack sound and something fell from the plane ....., its the battery..... no its not I've still got control....better land. no prop or spinner

the motor has a threaded shaft and the spinner screws down on it , there should be a nylock nut on the outside with a flat washer beneath it . there wasnt one on this spinner when i retrieved it walking back to my car I screwed this assenbly back in place, without the outer locknut , started the motor, revved up , stopped suddenly as would happen at the peak of the powered launch and the prop kept spinning and loosened itself.rev up again the prop drives down the shaft stop the motor , it spins loose........... check your outer locknuts guys.... replace them if they are missing like mine
gordynic is online now Find More Posts by gordynic
Old Jun 05, 2012, 01:31 PM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
547 Posts
gordynic,

Lucky escape: I also had a similar experience.

After I maidened my ASW 17 a friend at the field said "What's rattling inside the spinner?" Perhaps a small stone or piece of dry earth had ingressed therien I thought.

Well, we took off the spinner to find the washer loose inside but no sign of the nut! I must have forgotten to install it after I checked the prop/spinner assembly some days beforehand. The omission was fixed straight away and I felt quite relieved that nothing untoward happened on the maiden.

I'm enjoying flying the model now and it floats along quite nicely in light wind.

Steve.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 05:23 PM
scotland
Joined Jul 2003
220 Posts
doesn't like gusty winds does it!!!!!!!!!!
gordynic is online now Find More Posts by gordynic
Old Aug 26, 2012, 04:43 PM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordynic View Post
doesn't like gusty winds does it!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry for my very late reply but other projects have meant that I've neglected my ASW17 for a while.

Re those gusty winds: Absolutely agree with you on that one!

This evening, for the first time in ages, there was no wind at all. So, went to the field with a couple of friends. I flew the ASW17 for the first time without wind, and wow, what a difference!

I was able to fine tune the CG and properly trim the model. Did a few low passes and it just floated on and on.....very satisfying.

Steve.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:56 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
I wish Towerhobbies in the USA carried this with the other ST Models they sell, would make such a nice addition. Ah well, I'm building a 1650mm 1967 ASK-13 from scratch.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:29 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
547 Posts
I'm getting to like this model the more I fly it considering how inexpensive it is.
One of it's weaknesses though is the prop blades. Very flimsy plastic which I'm sure doesn't do much for climb out performance.

Just by luck, today I picked up a pair of Robbe 10x6 blades. Very close to the original blades but much stiffer and better quality overall. They do need a little fettling to fit the stock hub but nothing major.

As a bonus, they're white with red lettering, so should look great on the ASW 17.

Look forward to seeing the completed ASK-13 studioRS.

Steve.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:14 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevespana View Post
I'm getting to like this model the more I fly it considering how inexpensive it is.
One of it's weaknesses though is the prop blades. Very flimsy plastic which I'm sure doesn't do much for climb out performance.

Just by luck, today I picked up a pair of Robbe 10x6 blades. Very close to the original blades but much stiffer and better quality overall. They do need a little fettling to fit the stock hub but nothing major.

As a bonus, they're white with red lettering, so should look great on the ASW 17.

Look forward to seeing the completed ASK-13 studioRS.

Steve.
Yes the set of Graupner 8x4.5 blades I installed on my ASW-28 ( along with an improved motor, 30A ESC and 3S 1300mAh battery ) made a huge difference in climb out rates. I'm sure the Robbe white and red blades will fit and work well, photos if you have the opportunity.

Not to get too much off topic... ( at least it is an AS sailplane ) my ASK-13 build is here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1712812
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:00 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
547 Posts
New prop

Nice looking build studioRS.

A few pics of the new prop on my ASW 17.

It's about 6g heavier than stock so will have to reset the CG again. Girly pilot is a bit naff but, looks good from a reasonable distance. If the weather is ok I hope to do a test flight later this afternoon/evening.

Steve.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:26 PM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
547 Posts
New prop flight report

In a word "Fantastic" !

Climb out to height was much more rapid and steeper. And, when that extra little burst of throttle is required to avoid a magnetic tree on landing approach for example, I feel much more secure with the extra performance.

The only downer is that I'm going to have to invest in some decent lipos to really make the most of the new prop. Those I have at present are only rated at 10C and are quite old. And, upon landing the lipo used for the test flight was much hotter than in previous flights. I guess the new prop is drawing more amps from the system.

Still, overall I'm very happy with the outcome.

Steve.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:46 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
Awesome! The photos do look nice too, gotta love that gurly girl with the shades on