Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:44 PM
Fly like you can still see it
USA, NY, Schenectady
Joined Mar 2009
127 Posts
Scotland flight report - thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordynic View Post
had mine since last november, only flew it mid January. Everything that was said in the RCME review was correct , flies really well, use correct battery , first flight I used an available 800mah and she was very twitchy bought a 1500 now and it has cured any problems with a rearward cg............. all in all, not bad value for money
Gordynic,
Thank you for your flight report. All this info is encouraging.
Would you say it has a powerful climb with stock motor and prop?
Can it sustain a 30 degree climb? a 40 degree climb?
// Dave
Dave Garwood is offline Find More Posts by Dave Garwood
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:14 PM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Garwood View Post
Tower Hobbies carries these other 2-meter ST Model foamies:

ST Model ASW-28 EPO Brushless RR 78.7 inch span
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXACFX

ST Model Fox EPO Brushless Scale Glider RR 71 inch span
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXYYS3&P=ML

ST Model DG-1000 EPO Brushless Glider RR 79 inch span
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXYYS4&P=ML
I have 2 DG-1000's and 1 ASW-28. Two are modified with cloth covered fuselages. My ASW-28 I used Zap medium CA to soak the cloth before sanding and painting and one of the DG-1000s has Minwax WBPU, Both are absolutely a hoot to fly, the ASW-28 also has an upgraded motor and ESC.

Here is my ASW-28 link
studioRS is online now Find More Posts by studioRS
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:08 PM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,788 Posts
I have an ST Fox. I immediately upgraded the motor/esc and spinner/prop. It excels in light slope lift and aerobatics, but it is not the greatest TD plane. Due to the short(er) fuselage, it is rather pitch-sensitive, but once the rates are dialed in it flies very well. I also had a lot of wing flex, so I reinforced the hollow carbon wing rod by inserting a hardwood dowel into it, then poly-gluing it in; helped quite a bit. Decent flyers for the money, I may try the ST 1000 or ASW-17 one of these days, if for nothing else than to have an affordable "fleet" of foam-scale sailplanes. When, (if), I do I'm sure I will upgrade the power system right out of the box.
Photo below of my ST Fox, (didn't use the "stock" decals...tacky...).

Sonny
sonny1 is offline Find More Posts by sonny1
Old Feb 20, 2012, 01:09 PM
scotland
Joined Jul 2003
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Garwood View Post
Gordynic,
Thank you for your flight report. All this info is encouraging.
Would you say it has a powerful climb with stock motor and prop?
Can it sustain a 30 degree climb? a 40 degree climb?
// Dave
as the article in RCME says, its never going to go up like a homesick angel ,but a worthy enough rate of climb , a few seconds to get to a safe height but never going to go vertical, I was testing and was a bit tail heavy so stopped flying until the new lipos arrived . since then its been typical scottish weather, horizotal rain at times, or too windy
gordynic is offline Find More Posts by gordynic
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:05 PM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
531 Posts
Finally got my mits on my asw-17 today. It's the version as sold by Jamara.

First impressions, although only via a quick glance, are mostly positive with reference to the asking price of 80 Euros. The foam parts look reasonably well finished, the fuselage and the flying surfaces are straight and free from warps/twists.

I have two concerns. The prop seems rather flimsy but will suffice to begin with.

A little more concerning is that the ESC is only rated at 10A !
I intend to use 1500/1800 3S 20c lipo's and it seems to me that the ESC could be a weak link. I would very much welcome others thoughts on this. Anyone flying this plane on the stock 10A ESC ?

I do have a spare 30A ESC which I will install if necessary.

I'm going to install the wheel but I will remove (cut off) the open door flaps.

More to follow over the next few days.

Steve.
stevespana is offline Find More Posts by stevespana
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:07 AM
scotland
Joined Jul 2003
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevespana View Post
Finally got my mits on my asw-17 today. It's the version as sold by Jamara.

First impressions, although only via a quick glance, are mostly positive with reference to the asking price of 80 Euros. The foam parts look reasonably well finished, the fuselage and the flying surfaces are straight and free from warps/twists.

I have two concerns. The prop seems rather flimsy but will suffice to begin with.

A little more concerning is that the ESC is only rated at 10A !
I intend to use 1500/1800 3S 20c lipo's and it seems to me that the ESC could be a weak link. I would very much welcome others thoughts on this. Anyone flying this plane on the stock 10A ESC ?

I do have a spare 30A ESC which I will install if necessary.

I'm going to install the wheel but I will remove (cut off) the open door flaps.

More to follow over the next few days.

Steve.
Steve , last time out with the ASW I found that wwhen I input aileron the whole plane tried to wing over, and chase itself into a steep dive. Returning home after flying(carefully) I found on closer examination that the ailerons were biased quite a bit down as there was no differential. I could have routed the cables to different rx outputs and adjusted them electronically but instead I went for the old fashioned way and took out the servos and moved the arms forward by one spline , i also took off the aileron control rod , and moved it to the front hole on the aileron horn and adjusted it all up. now got about 12 mm up and 8 mm down, I think this may sort my problem out , information is free and if it makes a safer flight for you then you may want to try this
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:47 PM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
531 Posts
Thanks gordynic, it's nice to have a bit of feedback.

I intend to set up the ailerons with differential from the outset using separate channels for each. The manual states 15mm up and 12mm down so I will make that my starting point.

Being such a cheap buy I'm going to double and triple check everything before I commit the plane to the blue yonder.

Managed a closer inspection of the parts today and dry fitted everything. Pleased to report that everything lines up true and square. The wing spar is a really close fit in both wing panels and also in the fuselage. However, the foam leading edge moulded into the fuselage are split where the servo cables are routed. Not a big deal but a tad annoying.

Please can you tell me if you're using the stock ESC, and if so, any problems with it?

Cheers,

Steve.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:01 AM
scotland
Joined Jul 2003
200 Posts
Quote:
Thanks gordynic, it's nice to have a bit of feedback.

I intend to set up the ailerons with differential from the outset using separate channels for each. The manual states 15mm up and 12mm down so I will make that my starting point.

Being such a cheap buy I'm going to double and triple check everything before I commit the plane to the blue yonder.

Managed a closer inspection of the parts today and dry fitted everything. Pleased to report that everything lines up true and square. The wing spar is a really close fit in both wing panels and also in the fuselage. However, the foam leading edge moulded into the fuselage are split where the servo cables are routed. Not a big deal but a tad annoying.

Please can you tell me if you're using the stock ESC, and if so, any problems with it?

Cheers,

Steve.
using everything as it came out the box mate

regards gordon
Old Mar 02, 2012, 12:43 PM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
531 Posts
Progress report

I managed to find a few spare moments to work on the ASW-17 and I think I'm going to need some creative solutions.

I've changed the ESC to a 30A that I had spare. It's 10g more than the original but I wanted some leeway as I plan to use 1800mah lipo's. Now, here's the rub; upon inserting said lipo of 155g this model is way too nose heavy. In addition it leaves very little space to mount the Rx so this may have to go up in the canopy unless I can figure out a different solution.

Normally, I would mount the Rx further back in the fuselage, but without cutting away some foam it's going to be difficult to find a suitable location.

I tried a smaller 1000mah lipo of 63g and all was well with that. But, that's unusable as it powers my Terry S and has a different connector. I really don't want to buy more lipos so I guess I will have to find a solution. Sure, I could add weight to the tail but it will be so as a case or last resort.

The wings and spar are a real tight fit and it took me an absolute age to breakdown the model. I think that when the model is completed and all set up it will reside (fully rigged) in one of the hangars at the club.

Steve.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 01:00 PM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
531 Posts
Progress report

double post.
Last edited by stevespana; Mar 02, 2012 at 01:02 PM. Reason: double post
Old Mar 09, 2012, 12:42 PM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
531 Posts
Update

I managed to do a little work on the ASW-17 today.

I've decided to mount the Rx in the underside of the fuselage, a couple of inches behind the landing wheel. In order to achieve this location I've cut a small access hole, sized so that the Rx + servo plugs will just squeeze through. I've used short servo extension leads to allow this Rx placement. It will then be fixed just behind the hole with velcro. A plastic straw glued inside the fuselage will serve to align and protect the main Rx antenna. The access hole will be sealed with the original piece of foam held in place by fibre reinforced tape. This way I can get to the Rx if necessary.

Elevator and rudder have been set up with deflections as per manual. I have noticed that the resolution of all four servos seems to be quite poor. At this stage I will leave them in place but will replace them at the first hint of a problem. See next paragraph.

The aileron servos have given me a bit of a problem. Or, more likely I'm the problem as I was working against the clock a tad today. Starboard wing set up nicely but I have problems with the port side servo. Firstly, the small grub screw doesn't want to clamp the aileron pushrod with any sense of security and the servo itself had a mind of its own at times also. I don't feel confident about this at all and will carry out some further adjustments and tests until I'm happy that everything is working correctly.

All in all I'm a bit disappointed with my progress as I was hoping to maiden the model this weekend. It sure does look very pretty and elegant when put together. However, I'm not going to risk the model due to some mad rush to get it finished........I do have other models to fly.

Steve.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:57 AM
scotland
Joined Jul 2003
200 Posts
what a kak day first I totaled my formosa then almost killed the asw fortunately only lost th starboard wingtip when it cartwheeled so its a night with UHU por and blend derm tape..... this plane does not like blustery winds.....my own fault really , should have packed up and gone home AGHHHHHH!!!!!
Old May 02, 2012, 08:38 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
531 Posts
Maidened the ASW 17 yesterday; full report to follow.

Steve
Old May 02, 2012, 08:40 AM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,364 Posts
Quote:
Maidened the ASW 17 yesterday; full report to follow.

Steve
Sounds great, looking forward to the report and photos! Love to see where you fly in Spain also.
studioRS is online now Find More Posts by studioRS