HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:03 PM
Joined Oct 2011
4 Posts
Question
Is an ABC Hobby 36-600 sailboat worth it?

Hello.

I'm looking at a ABC Hobby 36-600 sailboat, and I was wondering what a fair price for one that has been assembled but never sailed would be. It has a radio and everything. Or, is it even worth looking at? Unless it ends up less than a T37 of TBoats.com, I won't buy it. I like the T37's lines a lot more.

Any Insight?
Ozette9 is offline Find More Posts by Ozette9
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2011, 01:56 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,522 Posts
Comparing a Northwind to a Tippecanoe T37 is a bit like apples and oranges; the former is a more or less assembly job with plastic hull etc. whereas the latter is a wooden hull with more construction work involved.
The northwind fits into a recognised AMYA development class (few restrictions) along with some much better and more expensive boats. The T37 is a recognised one design class. No doubt a lot of alternative options will be suggested.
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:33 PM
Joined Oct 2011
4 Posts
Thing is, the ABC is already assembled.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:51 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
1,819 Posts
Wanna race? The 36/600 will NOT be competitive as it comes - and even with serious modifications, it won't stay up with any purpose-built 36/600 racer. I don't believe this is a recognized class - so if you tire of it, resale might be a question. Basically (and with possible "flames") this is a "Pond Yacht" and depending on your future direction/desire wouldn't be my recommendation.

The T37, on the other hand at least has a sanctioned/recognized class behind it - so resale will be much easier if you decide to sell. Not sure where you live, but if you get hit with "winter" - it will give you time to build and think forward toward first nice Spring day when it is launched.

Only my opinion.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 07:55 AM
Norman2
Connestee Falls, Brevard, North Carolina
Joined Mar 2006
382 Posts
North Wind 36/600

Hi. I would not buy the Northwind 36/600 as it is no longer manufactured
and parts are impossible to get. A T37 would be a great sailboat. Regards
Norman2
Norman2 is offline Find More Posts by Norman2
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:04 PM
Joined Oct 2011
4 Posts
Thank you, everyone.

@Dick L. I live in the Pacific Northwest, the originating region of the T37. (Bellingham)

I also can get a discount on one, so... a T37 it is, though none of the members of the local club has one. They have Soling 1 Meter boats and ODOMs.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:34 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozette9 View Post
Thank you, everyone.

@Dick L. I live in the Pacific Northwest, the originating region of the T37. (Bellingham)

I also can get a discount on one, so... a T37 it is, though none of the members of the local club has one. They have Soling 1 Meter boats and ODOMs.
Have you thought of either a Soling or ODOM ? Those are both good choices.
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Nov 02, 2011, 11:28 PM
Joined Oct 2011
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzy View Post
Have you thought of either a Soling or ODOM ? Those are both good choices.
Yes. The local club sails both, I am just finding out about all that. If I do go for one of those, it will be the Soling because of the price of parts, etc. The T37 has a... Younger, shall we say, following in my area, and I see lots of them around. Also, the Soling doesn't plane, severely cutting down on speed in high winds.

Any more input?

Ozette9

~~_/)~~
Old Nov 03, 2011, 03:10 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozette9 View Post
Yes. The local club sails both, I am just finding out about all that. If I do go for one of those, it will be the Soling because of the price of parts, etc. The T37 has a... Younger, shall we say, following in my area, and I see lots of them around. Also, the Soling doesn't plane, severely cutting down on speed in high winds.

Any more input?

Ozette9

~~_/)~~
I don't think any class of monohulls planes. The Soling may not be the fastest boat of its size which probably has more to do with its thick internally ballasted keel.
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards