Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:02 PM
SamuelS94
UK
Joined Oct 2008
57 Posts
Discussion
Covering a foam plane ??

I have a foam cessna, but would like to cover it to get rid of the 'foam' look, and have it so it is completely white, and looks smart.

I have never covered a plane, so what other ways of doing it are there, i was thinking solvent free spray, but would that get rid of the foam look ?

Any other opinions ?

Thanks
sam-smith is offline Find More Posts by sam-smith
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2011, 06:24 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,720 Posts
1 - Mix light weight spackle with water till it's like heavy cream. Apply to surface filling depressions, let dry and sand smooth.

2 - Cover foam with tissue paper using Polycrylic varnish.

3 - Sand lightly and paint with any paint.

Search for 'tissue polycrylic' for details. There are 267 posts.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Oct 15, 2011, 07:56 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,969 Posts
exactly. not just foam, but covering jobs always look best when spackled & sanded before hand.
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Jan 05, 2012, 03:47 AM
Sverige, Jämtlands län, Krokom
Joined Dec 2011
60 Posts
Hello,

I just wrote at an other place about glassing foamies with epoxy. I always thin down the mixed epoxy with alcohol until it is as thin dope. Use 30-minute epoxy, then you have a fair workingtime. After I have glassed the foam (normaly 25gr/m2 glass) I work on with thinned epoxy with added talc. Add up to say 50% talc and there is a perfect filler, makes it easy to wetsand. Sand at the end with 600-wetpaper and now it is possible to use all kinds of paint without the risk to melt the surface or the foam.

/Rob
RobKro is offline Find More Posts by RobKro
Old Jan 07, 2012, 09:37 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
You can also cover with a low temperature covering like Econocote.

Or you can cover with colored packing tape.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone