HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:20 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,771 Posts
Discussion
how much does it cost to join your club?

I been trying figure out how to go about this, i thought well why dont I just post it here. All I want you to do is to post what club your a member of, a website of the club if you have one and then how much is it to join and each year after you join

just to see as far as driffrent clubs how much it cost. my Club voted to raise dues last night and I guess I am the only one who thinks its ridiculous. so that's why i like to know Thanks.

I like to see members of the following clubs post and more clubs I do not even know of.

CCRC
Taildraggers
Bartow
Stone Mnt
Henry county
GMA

I know I am missing a lot of clubs so please everyone post here Thanks
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:05 PM
With great pwer comes great 3D
Globe, USA, Clemson, SC
Joined Jun 2010
1,311 Posts
How much did it go up to? Around me dues are just south of $100 a year for some places. Of course there is the $50 type new member fees which just add onto that cost as well.
killsdeer4fun is offline Find More Posts by killsdeer4fun
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:09 PM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,200 Posts
GMA is 250.00 to join then 200.00 each year after.

Friendly Flyers is 70.00 a year

Drones is 75.00 a year

Scenic is $90.00 a year with a 50.00 initiation fee
MLT67 is offline Find More Posts by MLT67
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:23 PM
Whirly Bird Fanatic
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined May 2010
628 Posts
Atlanta RC is $60. But if you join now you get the rest of 11 and 2012 too!!
TossinHoss is offline Find More Posts by TossinHoss
Old Oct 13, 2011, 06:46 AM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,771 Posts
Thanks guys, see GMA is a super nice place from everything I hear I think nicer the club is then it should be more. Ours has always been $50 membership and $50 initiation fee
They voted to up membership to $100 a year with a $150 initiation fee for new members
In middle of moving to a new field that doesn't have very much, there also doing lifetime memberships for those who have that kinda money I sure won't be getting one, that be about 3 paychecks for me.
I think 50-75 is fair for most normal clubs, Normal as in not GA jets or GMA or triple tree or somewhere like that
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Oct 13, 2011, 07:23 AM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,317 Posts
i have to ask as a new guy to all this club stuff but whats the point of the initiation fee?
shadow102 is offline Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Oct 13, 2011, 08:17 AM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,200 Posts
Epower what is the name of your club? Sounds like they don't want any new members.

MLT
Old Oct 13, 2011, 08:18 AM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
i have to ask as a new guy to all this club stuff but whats the point of the initiation fee?
Some clubs charge it as a means to limit new members.

MLT
Old Oct 13, 2011, 08:24 AM
This is NOT a TOY?
Joined Jul 2011
2,539 Posts
Shadow, the initiation fee is not uncommon, especially at nicer flying sites.
It's also pretty common with a lot of other types of 'clubs' out there.

In most RC clubs, the money goes toward general site maintenance, pavilions, pit tables, grass, etc. just like the regular dues.
In places where the club is growing larger, a very large initiation fee helps keep the membership numbers manageable, as well.
This is not necessarily a practice I agree with, since I generally think 'the more, the merrier' but I have visited clubs where I could see the necessity for limitations.
The two RC clubs that I belong two are not nearly that busy.

In any case, it's almost always a one-time fee, even if you drop out and come back a few years later.
Some clubs also charge out-of-county fees as well.(Some as one-time, and some as part of your annual dues)

Chris, regarding our increase... I was somewhat shocked that it was 'doubled' yes.
I think I'd expected a 50% increase, tops. Still... I'd rather fly there than some other places I could go, (Primarily for location or runway orientation reasons) so I'll pay it.
Also, in this case, the move to the new field will come close to wiping us clean, financially... so I can see the need for the cash.
Plus, add a side of what MLT67 says above. It does effectively limit the membership some, as well.
(Or if not... it adds more cash to the reserves, at least. Maybe that will get us a paved runway again, in a shorter timeframe)
Not saying that unnecessarily limiting club membership is a good thing... but it certainly seemed to be on the minds of some folk.
C_Watkins is online now Find More Posts by C_Watkins
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by C_Watkins; Oct 13, 2011 at 08:34 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:41 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,294 Posts
Stone Mtn RC Flyers

http://www.smrcf.com/index.asp

I believe it is $60 annually, no initiation; could someone else confirm this?

Pros: Great club facilities with covered pits, power, porta-pot, fans, paved runway.
Cons: I do not get there enough, impossible for me to fly there during the week due to traffic and distance from work.
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:46 AM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,747 Posts
Yeah, Drones is a great deal at $75 but of course we don't have any paved runway nor any facilities of any kind besides a nice covered area and some chairs (Thanks Joel! ) However, it's probably one of the best sites around given our 50+ acres. It's actually about the size of GMA but our flight area is not as stretched out left to right giving us more depth to our field.
rpstar is offline Find More Posts by rpstar
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:55 AM
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Mar 2008
3,603 Posts
Brad is correct about stone mtn. I think they are looking to increase for next year. However that is still upmin the air. I like stn mtn. I have flown at more then 20 fields. They all have issues. You just need to find one you can have fun at. My favorite is hodges.
bigmoebbq is offline Find More Posts by bigmoebbq
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:58 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,294 Posts
+1 for Hodges.

I dont so much complain about cost as I do usage. For me, I would not care if I paid $5 per year to join a club; as it has no value unless I can get out to use it....I need to move out of the city!
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Oct 13, 2011, 01:12 PM
Joined Aug 2011
510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
They use this money to pay for the land, facilities and equipment. For example, my club, CCRC has on-site bathrooms, picnic area, vending machines & storage. They also have a fleet of trainers that new members can use to learn how to fly before they go out & buy their first aircraft.

I'm sure there are other uses for the funds that I'm not aware of..
seojeff is online now Find More Posts by seojeff
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2011, 01:40 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seojeff View Post
They use this money to pay for the land, facilities and equipment. For example, my club, CCRC has on-site bathrooms, picnic area, vending machines & storage. They also have a fleet of trainers that new members can use to learn how to fly before they go out & buy their first aircraft.

I'm sure there are other uses for the funds that I'm not aware of..
that all makes sense, the initiation fee doesnt aside from keeping people away so it doesnt get crowded.
shadow102 is offline Find More Posts by shadow102