HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:17 PM
Australia, SA, Parafield
Joined Oct 2009
314 Posts
Discussion
How to mix gorilla glue for lightweight gap filling

Hi gang,

I've never used Gorilla Glue, but have heard that it's the shizzle for lightweight gap filling in foamies.

I've just flattened the wing out for my hobbyzone super cub, and have to put two cuts either side of the saddle to take the angle out. I want to fill the gaps in with something lightweight, but was wondering what's the best way to mix up the glue?

Here's the gaps I need to fill

Some people say wet down the surface you're gluing with water first, some say mix the gorilla glue with PVA glue, some say mix the GG with a bit of water.

Can I have any recommendations from those that have used gorilla glue before as to how I should use it?

-thanks
Dillzio is offline Find More Posts by Dillzio
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:21 PM
REAL old new guy!
United States, HI
Joined Jul 2011
491 Posts
Ace hardware has a excellent lightweight spackle that I use for filling gaps. For BIG holes I use a foam that comes in a aerosol can.
Dakine48 is offline Find More Posts by Dakine48
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:42 PM
Joined Oct 2008
24 Posts
I have successfully used silica and other filler materials that are mainly used
with epoxy, mixed with Gorilla white or yellow glue for great results on foam
for gap filling. Result is strong, durable, and can be sanded to a smooth finish.

Seawatcher
jjseawatcher is online now Find More Posts by jjseawatcher
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:48 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,412 Posts
Just wet the foam slightly, I usually just mist it with a spray bottle, then apply the gorilla glue. When it starts setting it will foam up and expand. The next step depends on how you are going to finish the filled gap and surrounding area. You can wipe off the excess with a paper towel wetted with paint thinner as the glue foams up, or just wait until it's completely dry and take a razor blade and cut the excess glue ,that has expanded out of the gap, off. It cuts extremely easy.
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:49 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,378 Posts
For something like you are doing, I would just throw several drops of warm water into a disposable mixing cup with some Gorilla Glue in it. Stir till it starts foaming, dump out any loose water, then quickly fill the slots about 1/3 full. Then put down a layer of masking tape. That way as the GG foams, it will foam up to the tape, then be held constrained, forming a real nice skin. That skin will dry really smooth and strong.

If you fill the slot completely and the GG foams more than the slot holds, it may push the tape off and make a bubbly skin that will be difficult to cut off later.

Hope this helps!
Jim Marconnet
Jim_Marconnet is offline Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet
Old Oct 13, 2011, 04:25 PM
Suspended Account
USA, NV, Caliente
Joined Mar 2009
1,163 Posts
I wouldn't bother mixing it with anything. Just mist the gap with water (I have heard that an amonia solution actually sets the glue off faster), and put in a bit of the glue. A practice job would be good to give you an idea of the expansion to expect.

Is this the "white"or the brown GG?
crypto666 is offline Find More Posts by crypto666
Old Oct 13, 2011, 06:57 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,341 Posts
Note, Gorilla glue will yellow over time. Not important if you are going to cover or paint.

Personally, I'd just use spackle.
Lardog is online now Find More Posts by Lardog
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:51 PM
Australia, SA, Parafield
Joined Oct 2009
314 Posts
thanks for the tips guys, keep em coming :-)
The gorilla glue i got was the brown stuff http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/140487468...84.m1439.l2649

EDIT:
I've just mixed some up to test it out, and went with what Jim recommended, I put some GG in a disposable cup, added a few drops of water, stirred it for 20 sec, tip out any excess water, mix until it starts to foam.
I tested it out by filling in the wing strut holes that I don't need anymore, within about 5 minutes of laying it down it's very soft, and it's quite easy to level it off with a credit card. After 5-10 minutes, it gets much stickier, and you can't level it off without ripping out more chunks of the glue than you want to. Im using some clear sticky tape over it now, and I can see that will work nicely.

Thanks heaps for the tips guys!
Last edited by Dillzio; Oct 14, 2011 at 12:25 AM.
Old Nov 04, 2011, 11:33 AM
Australia, SA, Parafield
Joined Oct 2009
314 Posts
...I've been playing around with GG some more, and have figured out the best way to make it foam up. Just add a few drops of water based PVA glue and mix that in with it. The GG kicks with water, but when you try to mix any water in with it it's like mixing oil and water. The PVA glue mixes in fine, so seems to let you get more water into the GG to kick off the foaming process.
Old Nov 04, 2011, 02:57 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,994 Posts
In post #8 you said you tested on strut holes that you don't need anymore. Uhm, is this a HZ S Cub? I flattened my wing, added ailerons, etc also. Believe me ... you still need wing struts! There are many stories on these pages where folks have decided they don't like/want the flimsy struts ... taken them off ... and folded their wing in-flight.
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Nov 04, 2011, 06:52 PM
RC Adddict
150 mile house B.C. Canada
Joined Jan 2010
4,057 Posts
Rubbing alcohol on a Qtip is great for controling the GG while it sets up . The white GG sets up faster which is nice .
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Nov 04, 2011, 09:53 PM
Australia, SA, Parafield
Joined Oct 2009
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
In post #8 you said you tested on strut holes that you don't need anymore. Uhm, is this a HZ S Cub? I flattened my wing, added ailerons, etc also. Believe me ... you still need wing struts! There are many stories on these pages where folks have decided they don't like/want the flimsy struts ... taken them off ... and folded their wing in-flight.

Im an active member on the super cub club forum. It's a common mod to reinforce the wing with CF to eliminate the need for the struts, and I have never heard of anyone folding a Carbon Fibre reinforced wing.

This is my third cub, the second one I'm building myself. I'm doing the CF in this one exactly the same as I did in my last one, three spars 1m x 3mms x 0.75mm thick. My last wing was unbreakable, WOT nosedives then pulling up as hard as possible - no problem.
Old Nov 07, 2011, 10:50 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,994 Posts
Well, I am also active and you didn't memtion CF "help" so I wanted to be sure that you (or anyone) knew that a wing needs the struts, or as you did CF.
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Nov 08, 2011, 01:33 AM
Australia, SA, Parafield
Joined Oct 2009
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
Well, I am also active and you didn't memtion CF "help" so I wanted to be sure that you (or anyone) knew that a wing needs the struts, or as you did CF.
ah, sorry. I didn't mention the CF did I? You can see the three strips in pic, that's what the three strips are.

I tried flattening my last wing with just the CF and it did not work well, ended up bowed instead of flat. This time by cutting out the angles and filling them with GG, it's made the wing dead flat :-)
Old Nov 08, 2011, 08:31 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,954 Posts
Curious why did you decide on the 3 smaller tubes instead of a single 4mm tube?
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop