Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:18 PM
Guarantee at least one landing
Australia, QLD, Mooloolaba
Joined Aug 2007
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
OMG!!!

This is a candidate for product of the year!!

I wish I had video...

Put two of these in my Starmax EPO F14 and maidened it today. I dynamically balanced mine well so there's no high frequency resonance through the foam (fighting bees sound) at flight throttle. The white noise sound (sound you get when you make the cheering crowd with your hands) was prevalent when RPM was low in the house but at flight RPMs close up there's no variance in the sound.

Took off and honestly thought a car with a small tailpipe was racing down the street that's how loud the turbulence noise throughout the F14 nacelles. I didn't have to trim out at all it flew straight with thumb off for a second. Then shallow bank with wind at tail and I could tell the difference between this and my extra quite F16. The F16 didn't have an intake like the F14 cause I took the landing gear doors off and the exit was opened for a EFlight fan. Got some altitude to make a shallow turn then into a dive and that's when the turbine sound whistle gets amplified with 2 of them that are well balanced and doesn't vibrate through the foam.

To get a since of how it sounded take the vid of the F86 and multiply the whistle and white noise sound by two then add another 2-3 dbs of more turbulence noise cause the thin exit tubes built into the models exhaust.

Landing with a REALLY nice touch down cause I had a 10mph head wind but the cheapo strut wires that come with that kit broke off. She was done for the day but I'm going to try to get 23423423 more flights out of this weekend.

Two of these fans have the chance of changing EDF sounds and the realism of the flight. I couldn't believe the sound coming at me and going away, the L2855 motors from HK are high cog motors that will give you even more turbine whistle. I'm going to change the motor out.... here soon.

Again, I wish I had video
Fantastic review..wish I was there to hear it (and see it of course)...
Burdo is offline Find More Posts by Burdo
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:10 PM
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Oct 2011
407 Posts
That's good to hear you are having a win in both performance and sound, looking forward to your next test

My Lander 70mm alloys turned up, here are a few measurements weight's

CS 10 blade fan Dia 67.7mm
CS Inside of housing 69.9mm- Weight of housing including lip 2 oz
Lander alloy Inside of housing 69.4mm- Weight of housing including lip 2.5 oz

The attachment face for an engine on the CS will take both in and out runner engines, the Lander is for an in runner only, it will have to be modified for an out runner

Mike
limodune is online now Find More Posts by limodune
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:39 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooyukvoon View Post
erh7771,

Exactly which motor are you using in the abovementioned F-14? Fell out of the loop n got confused with so many mentioned.

Foo
Edit on this numbers with stock fan shroud using the TACON 2100kv motor.

4s\34amps\2pds5oz
5s\50amps\3pds4oz at 19volts using a fairly new 40c pack
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:47 PM
Joined Nov 2005
5,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaticus View Post
I bought one of these airframe a few weeks ago and will be using the CS70-10 also!!!!! I am very excited to hear your feedback. I can't wait!!!

What size battery are you using? single battery feeding 2 power system or 2 separate power system?

Thanks!

Dave
Hah, weird on this one for me. I am using the esc's from my very first edf the Starmax F14 and the same wires spliced to two escs. The wire or the deans has to be worn kinda like a cars ground wire can wear. Either way, I'm only pulling 60 amps on 5s and 92 amps on 6s. It doesn't take a lot of power to get it up in the air jus need some good aoa while goin down the runway.

This is the perfect jet to show off those fans, if you can balance yours out to have no high frequency vibrations it'll sound like a mini jet. You can run it up slowly through the RPM range...any vibration and you have high frequency vibrations and it's not balanced.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:07 AM
Joined Nov 2005
5,766 Posts
K, just ran this up again and stepped away from the jet...I bet there's a science in this white and pink noise and turbulence sound and the Starmax F14 would be the baseline candidate.

Instead of going through my wanna be audiofile theories to get the best "jet" sound (aka white noise, if we start making REAL pink noise then we're in a whole nother arena)

1.) Have some intake obstruction that doesn't constrict air flow but causes the intake ducting to vibrate slightly. I remember someone put a piece of depron before the fan but after split in a GW A-4.
2.) I'm convinced the reason I heard the hand made crowd noise in this one vs the LX F16 was the exhaust was closed down and thinner. Put my hand on the F14 exhaust outlets and I could feel it move......like a little speaker and somewhat similar to the intake ducting.
3.) Have your fans very well balanced dynamically, if you have to get an cheap accelerometer and a multimeter it's worth it or use your fingernails against the shroud if your balancing at low RPMs.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:10 AM
JUNK RADIO
USA, NY, Queens
Joined Dec 2006
3,136 Posts
erh771,

would you be able to make a video as to how to balance dynamically?
thanks

fred
Flazo is offline Find More Posts by Flazo
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:20 AM
Joined Nov 2005
5,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flazo View Post
erh771,

would you be able to make a video as to how to balance dynamically?
thanks

fred
There's a thread, "how to balance your fan with a cell phone".

Cell phones have accelerometers in them so using one with a DMM yields very similar results.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:58 AM
Joined Nov 2005
5,766 Posts
High cog sound from motors also adds turbine sound especially at low RPM

A-10 Scorpion 4035-630kv, Haoye 5" Fan on Dual 10S setup (0 min 31 sec)

You can hear the high pitched whistle, not high frequency vibrations, in them during spool up.

The HK L2855 series has sounded like this for me.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:05 AM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,383 Posts
Dang, sounded like the real thing!!! Love it!!!
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:18 AM
Joined Nov 2005
5,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
Dang, sounded like the real thing!!! Love it!!!
Yeap, the CS10s sound better than that cause of their blade design but you honestly need two well balanced rotors to hear it. The L2855 70mm edf motors should give the spool up wine like the scorpions did. I've used HKs helicopter escs on mine to help my batteries last longer and they spool up really slow and sound really good even with less than SAPAC rotors...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2011, 06:43 PM
United States, IL, Northbrook
Joined Sep 2011
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
High cog sound from motors also adds turbine sound especially at low RPM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pALPC...ure=plpp_video

You can hear the high pitched whistle, not high frequency vibrations, in them during spool up.

The HK L2855 series has sounded like this for me.
any clue who makes this A-10?
Dirty Dee is offline Find More Posts by Dirty Dee
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:27 PM
Guarantee at least one landing
Australia, QLD, Mooloolaba
Joined Aug 2007
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdo View Post
I've got the HK L2855 2800KV EDF motor so I'll test it for you and post the results a little later on.

Bear in mind, it is installed....
Results using a 2200mah 25C Nanotech 3S

11.8 Vm
.8 Wh
264.2 Wp
22.32 Ap
.069 Ah

Not flash...
Burdo is offline Find More Posts by Burdo
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:19 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,006 Posts
3200kv??

I am planning on putting a pair in the Super Airliner and was thingking of using a kv between 3200-3800 for 3S 30C-40C, anyone tried anything close to that kv range on 3S yet?

Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdo View Post
Results using a 2200mah 25C Nanotech 3S

11.8 Vm
.8 Wh
264.2 Wp
22.32 Ap
.069 Ah

Not flash...
CRCJA is offline Find More Posts by CRCJA
Old Dec 24, 2011, 12:30 AM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,910 Posts
Thank-you Burdo!

Well, that would be a no-go for me. Not even close in fact. I keep coming back to my suspicion that the published kv is whack on several of the motors tested in this thread. I mean the crazy variance on performance seen among these numerous tests can't all be down to cell performance, lips, timing & thrust tubes ... right?

I'm after 450 watts on 3S, give or take. A better sounding replacement for my Mega 16-15-2 Minifan combo. I guess I've got some more pokin' around to do.

Thanks again!

tn
Thomas Nelson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Nelson
Old Dec 24, 2011, 12:49 AM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Nelson View Post
Thank-you Burdo!

Well, that would be a no-go for me. Not even close in fact. I keep coming back to my suspicion that the published kv is whack on several of the motors tested in this thread. I mean the crazy variance on performance seen among these numerous tests can't all be down to cell performance, lips, timing & thrust tubes ... right?

I'm after 450 watts on 3S, give or take. A better sounding replacement for my Mega 16-15-2 Minifan combo. I guess I've got some more pokin' around to do.

Thanks again!

tn
You are gonna need something around 4000kv for the wattage you desire. Probably an out runner as the heavier bell tends to help produce a bit more torque than an inrunner......and this fan needs it!

6S = 1800-2100kv
5S = 2300-2500kv
4S = 2800-3100kv
3S = 3600+ (3S is not recommended by CS for this fan)
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy