SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 04, 2011, 06:56 PM
Registered User
hommel's Avatar
Netherlands, Zwolle
Joined Jul 2005
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny1 View Post
I'll be using the stock shroud; is there any way to reinforce the motor mount area a bit? Perhaps a coat of thinned epoxy?

Sonny
If you use an inrunner, I expect the mount to be strong enough. However an outrunner, if it is a heavier one will cause a fair amount of stress on the mount. Perhaps you can reinforce the mount with a 1 or 2mm circulair plate of epoxy/fiberglass that has the same bolt pattern.
hommel is offline Find More Posts by hommel
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2011, 07:30 PM
crashing build's character.
United States, AL, Dora
Joined Mar 2008
532 Posts
i have run my 10 blade fan in a 70mm eflite houseing. work's great!
onefastxp is offline Find More Posts by onefastxp
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 04, 2011, 07:52 PM
JUNK RADIO
Flazo's Avatar
USA, NY, Queens
Joined Dec 2006
3,136 Posts
motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baca View Post
Remaiden my old Sapan Gripen with 10 blade fan and Cyclone Power CS480 2500-4 motor.
Did some testing on 5S and 6S setup.I did expect some magic smoke with 6S but everything went OK. Great setup.
Andrew

I have a Sapac Gripen, where can I get the motor?

any idea the watts you are getting with 5 cells

fred
Flazo is offline Find More Posts by Flazo
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 04, 2011, 08:05 PM
Registered User
MagnusEl's Avatar
Sweden, Gävleborg County
Joined Jan 2004
851 Posts
You can find it at http://rc-castle.com/

This 10 blade impeller does fit perfect in Freewings 70mm shroud.
MagnusEl is offline Find More Posts by MagnusEl
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 04, 2011, 09:23 PM
Registered User
Baca's Avatar
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2006
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flazo View Post
I have a Sapac Gripen, where can I get the motor?

any idea the watts you are getting with 5 cells

fred
Look on the graphs, first 2 are 5S.64-68A
Motor from
http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.ph...oducts_id/2027
Baca is offline Find More Posts by Baca
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 04, 2011, 09:34 PM
Registered User
Thomas Nelson's Avatar
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,910 Posts
Holy cow!

Nearly a hundred amps at 22v through that little motor

I have the same motor on an E-Flite 70mm fan driving the stock rotor. On 6S. If memory serves, this 10-blade unit is drawing nearly twice the watts.

Let us know how it works out over the long haul. Do you intend to fly this setup much? Being an outrunner I am wondering (same as others) if the mount is up for the task - seeing how the back end is unsupported on this outrunner. Gyroscopic forces and all ...

tn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baca View Post
Remaiden my old Sapan Gripen with 10 blade fan and Cyclone Power CS480 2500-4 motor.
Did some testing on 5S and 6S setup.I did expect some magic smoke with 6S but everything went OK. Great setup.
Andrew
Thomas Nelson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Nelson
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 04, 2011, 09:47 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
bamaguy's Avatar
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Nelson View Post
Holy cow!

Being an outrunner I am wondering (same as others) if the mount is up for the task - seeing how the back end is unsupported on this outrunner. Gyroscopic forces and all ...
I have the same concern.....This alloy Lander shroud will solve the heat problem

http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.ph...oducts_id/2135

I ran the CS-10 blade up with the stock 2100kv LX motors in the shroud that came with the A-10, and the thermoplastic mount area did soften! (It did run great, though)


http://rc-castle.com/images/LR68EDFP1.jpg
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Last edited by bamaguy; Dec 04, 2011 at 09:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 04, 2011, 10:02 PM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
sonny1's Avatar
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hommel View Post
If you use an inrunner, I expect the mount to be strong enough. However an outrunner, if it is a heavier one will cause a fair amount of stress on the mount. Perhaps you can reinforce the mount with a 1 or 2mm circulair plate of epoxy/fiberglass that has the same bolt pattern.
I think I'll try an inrunner for that reason. Now I know why they were saying there were issues with the stock shroud. I thought they were referring to it being out-of-round or something, but the weak spot appears to be at the mount. That's why a lot of folks are using other shrouds! Took a while, but stuff sinks into the dead space between my ears eventually; I got it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastxp View Post
i have run my 10 blade fan in a 70mm eflite houseing. work's great!
I'll try one of those if the stock shroud doesn't hold up. Thanks for the heads up that the fan will work in that shroud,

Sonny
sonny1 is offline Find More Posts by sonny1
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 04, 2011, 10:24 PM
Guarantee at least one landing
Burdo's Avatar
Australia, QLD, Mooloolaba
Joined Aug 2007
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaguy View Post
I have the same concern.....This alloy Lander shroud will solve the heat problem

http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.ph...oducts_id/2135
I'll be ordering myself one of these shrouds.....
Burdo is offline Find More Posts by Burdo
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 05, 2011, 01:40 AM
Lee Liddle
Knife Liddle's Avatar
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,351 Posts
I ran one of these rotors at about 3kw this evening. It wasn't in the shroud. It was just run in the open like a prop. I was actually testing a motor and comparing the load of this rotor to an 80mm Eflight rotor. They are very similar in load and the little motor kicks butt. I may have to put it in a shroud and check thrust and efflux at that power level.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2011, 06:39 PM
Registered User
Flip Flop's Avatar
United States, UT, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2009
543 Posts
I finally found the 4s motor I was looking for. I am getting 68amps and 997 watts after 15sec with a Turnigy 3600 30c lipo. Not bad for a $25.00 setup.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...utrunner_.html
Flip Flop is offline Find More Posts by Flip Flop
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 05, 2011, 07:21 PM
RA-TA-MA-HAT-TA
munce31's Avatar
Melbourne, Australia.
Joined Feb 2010
3,277 Posts
What was the thrust and the voltage of the pack?
munce31 is offline Find More Posts by munce31
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 05, 2011, 07:45 PM
Registered User
Flip Flop's Avatar
United States, UT, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2009
543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by munce31 View Post
What was the thrust and the voltage of the pack?
Voltage was holding at 14.6, I did not measure the thrust but if I had to guess I would say 3.5lbs.
Tomorrow I can throw it on the thrust stand.
Flip Flop is offline Find More Posts by Flip Flop
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 05, 2011, 07:52 PM
RA-TA-MA-HAT-TA
munce31's Avatar
Melbourne, Australia.
Joined Feb 2010
3,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip Flop View Post
Voltage was holding at 14.6, I did not measure the thrust but if I had to guess I would say 3.5lbs.
Tomorrow I can throw it on the thrust stand.
14.6 volt is not that great, but its expected with a 30c turnigy pack. Put that motor on a hyperion 35c or higher c lipo and it'll probably be above 70amps and pumping out some serious thrust
munce31 is offline Find More Posts by munce31
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 05, 2011, 08:23 PM
Registered User
Flip Flop's Avatar
United States, UT, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2009
543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by munce31 View Post
14.6 volt is not that great, but its expected with a 30c turnigy pack. Put that motor on a hyperion 35c or higher c lipo and it'll probably be above 70amps and pumping out some serious thrust
True, these are some older packs.
Flip Flop is offline Find More Posts by Flip Flop
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Change Sun 12 blade 90mm Flip Flop Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 7094 Yesterday 05:36 PM
New Product Change Sun 120mm and new 10 blade 70mm fans Flip Flop Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 131 Apr 27, 2012 08:07 PM
Sold Change Sun electric retracts Flip Flop Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 3 May 23, 2011 07:20 AM
Sold Change Sun Electronic retracts w/Lander struts hole digger Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 2 May 06, 2011 02:27 PM
Sold Change Sun Electric retracts NIB 75.00 jzuniga Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 2 Sep 03, 2010 10:36 AM