SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:02 PM
Registered User
anlucas's Avatar
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_flyer View Post
Thanks, I searched this thread and there were some other posts that saw low amps/static thrust from the 2300. I may just order the 2800 instead, or maybe both since they are only $13 each. Although it would be a shame to throw away money just to test the 2300.
The 2300kv on 4S is OK for lighter sub-1Kg airframes where big batteries cannot be used since it only draws around 40amps. It's really good on 5S on any airframe up to 2Kg that I tried.

The 2800kv is much better on 4S but needs 60amps+ and needs good batteries to deliver.
anlucas is online now Find More Posts by anlucas
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:25 PM
Registered User
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,030 Posts
4s plane @ AUW < 850g?

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_flyer View Post
...
At the moment I am torn between Turnigy L2855 – 2300KV and HET 2W25. My auw is only going to be 800g to 850g, so I dont need much thrust (staying 4s) ...
I am really curious what kind of plane you can fly on 4s w/ a CS70 and AUW between 800 and 850 - I am running two superlight CS70 planes (Twister 830g, Vampire 900g) and achieve that weight only with 2200mA 3s 35C Nanos.
I find that they fly quite well on just 3s w/ the 2800kV motor (Vampire: youtube.com/watch?v=9EOkqwSdAaE , Twister: youtube.com/watch?v=2UAuFXqXEXQ ) Current some 37A on 3s, you would have similar current on 4s w/ the 2300kV motor, and if you want the light weight you won't be able to have a big lipo on board, 37A is fine with a decent 2200mA. Of course, one could always have more power on tap, but that means more lipo, bigger ESCs etc.
So, what's the airframe? I already used 33g ESCs, changed from glass to carbon rod at the Twister etc. (the Vampire needed a bit of weight in front)...
mopetista is online now Find More Posts by mopetista
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:33 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopetista View Post
I am really curious what kind of plane you can fly on 4s w/ a CS70 and AUW between 800 and 850 - I am running two superlight CS70 planes (Twister 830g, Vampire 900g) and achieve that weight only with 2200mA 3s 35C Nanos.
I find that they fly quite well on just 3s w/ the 2800kV motor (Vampire: youtube.com/watch?v=9EOkqwSdAaE , Twister: youtube.com/watch?v=2UAuFXqXEXQ ) Current some 37A on 3s, you would have similar current on 4s w/ the 2300kV motor, and if you want the light weight you won't be able to have a big lipo on board, 37A is fine with a decent 2200mA. Of course, one could always have more power on tap, but that means more lipo, bigger ESCs etc.
So, what's the airframe? I already used 33g ESCs, changed from glass to carbon rod at the Twister etc. (the Vampire needed a bit of weight in front)...
i have a squall at 28 oz auw w/ tv and a 2450 / 4s at 42 amps . or the 3000/4's for a couple of oz more. another would be the p3 f-16.

chuck.
chas650r is online now Find More Posts by chas650r
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:43 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_flyer View Post

Actually the thing that helps (me) the most is people who posted actual test results.

At the moment I am torn between Turnigy L2855 – 2300KV and HET 2W25. My auw is only going to be 800g to 850g,


another thought here, the het is plug and play, the 2855 can be a project to get right , mine were well out of balance (motor itself) , the shaft is sloppy in the bearing id , ect, ect. money vs time the het is a deal. just saying, fwiw. plus i think the het kv and weight is a great match on 4's.

chuck.
chas650r is online now Find More Posts by chas650r
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:43 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Extreme_RC's Avatar
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopetista View Post
I am really curious what kind of plane you can fly on 4s w/ a CS70 and AUW between 800 and 850 - I am running two superlight CS70 planes (Twister 830g, Vampire 900g) and achieve that weight only with 2200mA 3s 35C Nanos.
My F16 is around 850-900 grams with my Extreme Alloy CS10 fan, 80A esc, 2600 4s 45c pack, and glassed airframe.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:18 AM
Registered User
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,030 Posts
New HET 20W25 4mm shafts; Phase 3 F-16

Just read in that WeMoTec is now shipping the last of the HET 20W25 with the (old) 3.17mm shafts, new ones come w/ 4mm - if I bought one I would make sure it's the newer 4mm version. Sure a great motor, very efficient on 4s in the CS70, super smooth and easy to balance (if necessary with a ExtremeRC or other aftermarket adapter), and with 110g still relatively light for a lower-kV inrunner...
Sub-900g CS70 planes:
Yes, how could I forget the Phase 3 F-16 - just got myself a kit, will take a while to get it in the air, but seems to be one of the lightest and fastest 70mm models around - even with a ExtremeRC alloy fan (which is, it must be said, MUCH lighter than the Lander / HK variants).
The Twister and Vampire are pretty heavy, but sturdy EPO airframes, there is is not so easy to get low AUW...
mopetista is online now Find More Posts by mopetista
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:05 AM
John
jk671's Avatar
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
hey mark!! listen to how quiet your setup is still running...

Freewing SU-35 Twin 70mm EDF Jet great flight (7 min 5 sec)
jk671 is offline Find More Posts by jk671
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:42 AM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopetista View Post
Just read in that WeMoTec is now shipping the last of the HET 20W25 with the (old) 3.17mm shafts, new ones come w/ 4mm - if I bought one I would make sure it's the newer 4mm version. Sure a great motor, very efficient on 4s in the CS70, super smooth and easy to balance (if necessary with a ExtremeRC or other aftermarket adapter), and with 110g still relatively light for a lower-kV inrunner...
Sub-900g CS70 planes:
Yes, how could I forget the Phase 3 F-16 - just got myself a kit, will take a while to get it in the air, but seems to be one of the lightest and fastest 70mm models around - even with a ExtremeRC alloy fan (which is, it must be said, MUCH lighter than the Lander / HK variants).
The Twister and Vampire are pretty heavy, but sturdy EPO airframes, there is is not so easy to get low AUW...
agreed, i am over the 1/8" shaft deal , it's just not enough material for the job . if it's made hard enough they snap , if not they bend . the increased weight w/ the multi blade fans just makes it worse. if everything is perfect they are ok , but ingest just a small bit and knock the balance off and it over before u can get the thing stopped . i have some nice motors w/snapped shafts as paperweights
chas650r is online now Find More Posts by chas650r
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:54 PM
we can take off without that
green_flyer's Avatar
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopetista View Post
I am really curious what kind of plane you can fly on 4s w/ a CS70 and AUW between 800 and 850 - I am running two superlight CS70 planes (Twister 830g, Vampire 900g) and achieve that weight only with 2200mA 3s 35C Nanos.
I am scared to say incase everyone goes to buy one and it sells out
Its the HK EPO 70mm F-15 (made by Shuttler). I thought it was never coming back and was getting ready to buy one from the last remaining place on the web that had some left (cloneparts.de) but I looked at HK 2 days ago and 9 have appeared in stock!

I only estimated the weight. HK says its 680g all up, thats with:
95g 3200kv outrunner
45g fan
153g 1800mah 3s
60g? 60A esc
353g total

I was going to exchange the stock electronic with:
110g HET 2W25
69g CS12
265g Zippy compact 2700mah 4s
46g Jazz 55 with connectors or 42g if soldered to motor
490 Total

Thats a difference of 137g, so 680+137= 817g, I will get rid of the landing gear, but plan to glass/reinforce the nose and other critical points so I'm not deducting any weight for the gear. If HK advertised the weight wrong then all these calculations will be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anlucas View Post
The 2300kv on 4S is OK for lighter sub-1Kg airframes where big batteries cannot be used since it only draws around 40amps. It's really good on 5S on any airframe up to 2Kg that I tried.

The 2800kv is much better on 4S but needs 60amps+ and needs good batteries to deliver.
Thanks, I do want to keep the amps down so I can get away with the 55A esc, but I dont want to lose the jet like noise. I saw some people reported the 2300kv to only give around 600g thrust on 4s, others have reported around 1kg. 600g would be too low for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas650r View Post
another thought here, the het is plug and play, the 2855 can be a project to get right , mine were well out of balance (motor itself) , the shaft is sloppy in the bearing id , ect, ect. money vs time the het is a deal. just saying, fwiw. plus i think the het kv and weight is a great match on 4's.

chuck.
Thanks, this makes me lean more towards the HET. It would be annoying to do all that work to put the 2300kv in the shroud, then find out it doesnt give enough thrust and have to get the HET anyway.
green_flyer is offline Find More Posts by green_flyer
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:09 PM
Registered User
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,030 Posts
F-15 EPO by Tian Sheng...

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_flyer View Post
...Its the HK EPO 70mm F-15 (made by Shuttler). I thought it was never coming back and was getting ready to buy one from the last remaining place on the web that had some left (cloneparts.de) but I looked at HK 2 days ago and 9 have appeared in stock...
If THIS http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...lug_n_Fly.html is the F-15 EPO you are referring to is made by Tian Sheng (nickname "Shuttler"), there is a thread on RCgroups:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1158636
and the well-known PeterVRC has sanded the exhausts to get decent thrust, and in the end it was 1000g up from 700 (test stand 1300g).
If you look on youtube the model is rather slow (you can tell I wanted one, too, nice looking and EPO, but I am afraid it takes a lot of power to perform)
JBC did a review you might be interested to watch
HOBBYKING F-15 70mm EDF jet Flight & Box Review (9 min 56 sec)

I might still get one - Austrian dealer sells kit for 69 Euros...
cheers
Clemens
mopetista is online now Find More Posts by mopetista
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:43 PM
we can take off without that
green_flyer's Avatar
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
870 Posts
Thanks, yes thats the one. Do you have a link for the Austrian dealer?
I would rather buy the kit only version I dont need the stock motor & battery included in the HK version.
Its a really nice looking model, if I can keep it around 850g it should be ok. I estimate wing area to be around 18dm2, so that should be wing loading of 47g/dm2
green_flyer is offline Find More Posts by green_flyer
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:55 PM
Registered User
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,030 Posts
More on F-15 Tian Sheng

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_flyer View Post
Thanks, yes thats the one. Do you have a link for the Austrian dealer?
I would rather buy the kit only version I dont need the stock motor & battery included in the HK version.
Its a really nice looking model, if I can keep it around 850g it should be ok. I estimate wing area to be around 18dm2, so that should be wing loading of 47g/dm2
if you buy it, be prepared to do this (see attachment) - otherwise you won't have enought thrust. I don't know why some Tian Sheng planes are sluggish, I have / had their T-45 70mm and there it is the airfoil - NOT good. Check some videos before you buy, e.g. the one of JBC, he's flying the thing in the end. Not good performance at all, even with a 5-blade fan. It's not all about weight, wing loading etc., sometimes airfoil and / or ducting doesn't work too well...
Here's the Austrian shop, I bought one plane from him and had him on the phone, recommended, don't know the shipping to UK though
http://www.modellbau-shop.at/index.php?a=422
If you want to talk more Tian Sheng F-15 it would be better to do in the thread I posted above
cheers
Clemens
mopetista is online now Find More Posts by mopetista
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:27 PM
we can take off without that
green_flyer's Avatar
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
870 Posts
thanks, that is something to think about (if airfoil is bad, and lots of sanding to enlarge exhaust). Interesting the HK version seems to have full stabs.
green_flyer is offline Find More Posts by green_flyer
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:22 PM
John
jk671's Avatar
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
Here's more flight footage with my SU-35... enjoy!!!

Freewing Su-35 70mm edf jet great flight with awkward landing (7 min 12 sec)
jk671 is offline Find More Posts by jk671
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:18 AM
scunna
scunna's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, South Shields
Joined May 2007
599 Posts
Hi have not flown for a while but flew this today . sounds nice

Maxthrust f-18 super hornet changesun 70mm fan 1750 watts 72 amps 6s nanotech 3300 (3 min 36 sec)
scunna is offline Find More Posts by scunna
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Change Sun 12 blade 90mm Flip Flop Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 7081 Jul 28, 2014 08:25 AM
New Product Change Sun 120mm and new 10 blade 70mm fans Flip Flop Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 131 Apr 27, 2012 07:07 PM
Sold Change Sun electric retracts Flip Flop Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 3 May 23, 2011 06:20 AM
Sold Change Sun Electronic retracts w/Lander struts hole digger Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 2 May 06, 2011 01:27 PM
Sold Change Sun Electric retracts NIB 75.00 jzuniga Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 2 Sep 03, 2010 09:36 AM