HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:25 PM
United Kingdom, England, Stokeinteignhead
Joined Apr 2008
175 Posts
Again,thanks for the replies. Im not looking for extreme speed or power,just want to her that deep whooshing sound.
autoquip is offline Find More Posts by autoquip
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:51 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2006
927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalleyB0Y View Post
Just so you can hear how mine sounds check this out...

http://youtu.be/HDuh0aXj_BY

I paid $170 for this motor/fan to be mounted, balanced and shipped (I won't say what and where because I won't recommend it) but I used a $80 ZTW esc and with all this it is probably a very closest thing to a reasonable setup. Similar components can be found at any respectable retailer. Look the H2 threads for installation tips.
As soon as you spun it up it sounded out of balance to me. Loosen the nut on the fan and rotate it on the shaft about 45degrees, tighten it back down and spin it up and see if it sounds better. Keep doing this about 45degrees at a time until you find the sweet spot. You'll need to do the same with the spinner and then it should sound a lot better.

Depending on what motor is in it you should be getting huge power with a 2950kv motor on 5s.

Whats the diameter of the exhaust?
dpowellmeii is offline Find More Posts by dpowellmeii
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:36 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,627 Posts
Whalleyboy that fan sounds hugely out of balance . It's just as loud as a nitroplanes stock fan .
pencon is online now Find More Posts by pencon
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:32 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
901 Posts
Hahaha! I guess I had it coming and believe me I did see it coming!

This is precisely why I wouldn't reccomend this motor, retailer or his balancing. I only wonder how long I'm going to be taking it up the arse from this guy?

Bottom line is your going to get what you pay for and just because a few guys in here say some guy and his motors are great it doesn't neccessarily make it so. If you really want to know who to avoid, pm me. I just don't want to stoop down to his level and trash talk someone on RCGroups.
WhalleyB0Y is online now Find More Posts by WhalleyB0Y
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:38 PM
Joined Oct 2012
5 Posts
Hello guys,
I think your fan is not balanced too.....and even with some good batts you'll fry your esc or motor with 5S (the woob sound is probably your ESC which is going too much charged and at its maximum rpms/power). I've just made some tests tonight and was very surprised with the results with this fan and my HET 2w23 motor on 5S (in a HET6904 shroud) : I'm sure it will fry my motor because I went to the limit of my wattmeter : 99,9A with a fresh (and pretty new) Zippy 5S4000 45C pack : The wattmeter said 1954watt peak! Waayyyyyy too much for this 1100w motor! (just went to the max few seconds and it immediately smells like overheated material). So I let the fan running at 15-20% with the esc in the airflow to refresh my motor and esc and avoid damages.
I then tried the same motor but this time with my HET6904 fan and had approx. the same results! more than 99,9A, 1950w and the same bad smell.......So even if HET specs gives this motor "5S able", I think it depends on the battery you'll use with it and if the battery can handle the power then it's the motor which will suffers (and probably ESC). FYI I was using HET75 esc. I will definitely use another motor / setup with this fan (I'm waiting for a CC ICE 100 to power my DF32 motor with 8S2650 pack (2x 4S2650 35C). As I saw guys using this motor in the 80mm fan in 8S with throttle management I would like to try it with this CS10 blades and see if it can handle the power
Just one remark before leaving, I discovered the new CS12 has just a little bit bigger diameter compared to her sister with 10 blades as I could run the CS10 in my HET6904 shroud but I couldn't with the CS12, it interfered with the shroud.
Have a nice evening folks
Rgds
Aurelien
Watakashi is offline Find More Posts by Watakashi
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:47 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,553 Posts
I have a Meteor with a C10 and L2855-2300kv in it.
With the stock motor/fan it had 1.2Kg thrust, with the CS10 it is 1.1Kg. AUW is 1.45Kg.
It is still somewhat 'fast', but not really fast enough for a 'jet'. More of a 'trainer jet' (eg BAE Hwak etc).
But It does sound very good.
The CS10 quietness, and the 2300kv 5S RPM, make for a passable amount of airflow to create 'whoosh' sound, plus the airframe supplies some. So in the air it sound nice - but miles off a Vampire's awesome 'jet-like whoosh'.
You need 'fan quietness' to allow the ducting airflow, and airframe's airflow, to be heard alone and clearly.

This lower 'whoosh' amount (than the Vampire) is for two reasons... 5S 2300kv is not enough airflow to 'tax' the ducting... plus the ducting is too efficient and clean anyway. The only easy option to get more whoosh is more airflow.

I have a second unbuilt Meteor.
This fan below has 1.3x the thrust of the 5S 2300kv, so it will provide the "greater airflow than ducting can easily deal with" that is required. The 5S does 1.5Kg on the bench, this does just over 2.0Kg.
You can get it for $66 with a Buddy Code (PM me if you need one [they are not mine]).
That is a BARGAIN price! A CS10 is $15 and any half decent motor is $40 area. Then let alone the alloy housing.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0watt_6s_.html

If have bench tested it but not used it. I know Landers are all good products - sort of budget, but still very good. So I have no doubt it will be great in this Meteor role. 6S is worth using, so even if you don't have any batteries, it is well worth getting a specific set for an aircraft's needs. I have quite a few, but the first ones aimed to use are 6S 3000mAH 30C - but to get the max from this you would want at least 40C but really 65C low IR batteries. But they will cost a lot more too.

I am sort of impatient, but no way can alloccate time to building the new Meteor. So that will be many weeks away. But I am moving very close to using the current Meteor for it instead, as that would be just a one day job. And I do want to see its results.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PeterVRC; Nov 30, 2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:10 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,553 Posts
Autoquip, keep an eye on my currently meagre Blog. I will add in a Meteor section in the near future. To list all the stuff done on mine, including the L2855 CS10 solution, and this Lander 6S solution.
First to add will be the Lander Alloy 6S CS10 bench testing, so I will dig up those videos and results to add to the Blog soon.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Skyzone Goggles - Button Shield
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:26 AM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2012
845 Posts
oh.... i thought of using 2w23 with 5S..... now seems to be disappointed after the above comments.
viperviper is online now Find More Posts by viperviper
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:13 AM
United Kingdom, England, Stokeinteignhead
Joined Apr 2008
175 Posts
Thanks PeterVRC,will watch with interest.
autoquip is offline Find More Posts by autoquip
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:33 AM
Joined Oct 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperviper View Post
oh.... i thought of using 2w23 with 5S..... now seems to be disappointed after the above comments.
You could, but with throttle limiting on the radio and only few "full thrttle" pass
during flight.
It seems to be a great motor, but I think you can put 5S with a much softer fan like minifan or perhaps the CS70 4 blades (will try with this rotor and will gave you the results Asap)
But sure for this huge amp eater which is the CS10 it will burn it in 5S
Rgds
Aurelien
Watakashi is offline Find More Posts by Watakashi
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:18 AM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2012
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watakashi View Post
You could, but with throttle limiting on the radio and only few "full thrttle" pass
during flight.
It seems to be a great motor, but I think you can put 5S with a much softer fan like minifan or perhaps the CS70 4 blades (will try with this rotor and will gave you the results Asap)
But sure for this huge amp eater which is the CS10 it will burn it in 5S
Rgds
Aurelien
Thanks Aurelien! for the heads up info.
viperviper is online now Find More Posts by viperviper
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:55 AM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
901 Posts
Hey guys I have been working on trying to get good dynamic balance on my CS10. I had started with the shaft, turning 45* on the motor shaft until I found perfect harmony and smoothness, and then moved onto the rotor and then spinner. All of which had been static balanced prior on my magnetic balancer. I believe I have found the best balance on this fan and it sounds pretty good. Here's my link to the videos:

First checking motor shaft

Wb's h2 fan balancing 1 (1 min 18 sec)

Then after adjusting shaft, rotor and spinner.

Wb's edf fan balancing 2 (0 min 52 sec)

Does this sound alright?
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:02 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalleyB0Y View Post

Does this sound alright?
Hard to say from a low rpm run. Seems to be OK but you will need to check for vibrations at different rpms all the way to the max.
anlucas is online now Find More Posts by anlucas
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:53 AM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anlucas View Post
Hard to say from a low rpm run. Seems to be OK but you will need to check for vibrations at different rpms all the way to the max.
Yes of course, and it seemed to get quieter in the higher ends.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:56 AM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2006
927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anlucas View Post
I'll second that. Good thing you did a low rpm video thoughts because it sounds like your bearings need some oil. This would most likely be the reason you are getting the motor whine as well.

Is this an outrunner or inrunner?
dpowellmeii is offline Find More Posts by dpowellmeii