Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:47 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Nelson View Post
Yes! Not only practical, but often necessary!

I had to balance all 4 of my 2855 2100kv motors.
I was lucky. Out of 9 motors only 2 where troublesome.
anlucas is online now Find More Posts by anlucas
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:27 AM
Graham Dyer
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Jul 2003
698 Posts
Not a good woosher, I like that - no, it definately isn't. I'll try get the balance better and see if that will improve the sound. Where would one put a cheater hole / turbulator in the shroud? I have a stock 112mm Haoye Fan in a Bobcat and it sounds just like a quiet turbine! Want the same effect here.

This was still with the GWS EDF64's:

pardus is offline Find More Posts by pardus
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:32 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pardus View Post
Not a good woosher, I like that - no, it definately isn't. I'll try get the balance better and see if that will improve the sound. Where would one put a cheater hole / turbulator in the shroud?

Have a look at the cheater at the side of the nacelle of the Freewing ME-262.
This creates some woosh.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=50
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:52 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anlucas View Post
...The woosh does not come from the fan but from the airframe. Your airframe is probably not a good woosher...
+1, if there's no ducting the plane will be nearly quiet ...

What's worked for me is a 95% FSA paper Construction paper thrust tube....it wakes up the woosh a lot and on an airline or something close you can get it to look scale if the nacelle is notably bigger than the shroud...

Brings out some nice woosh and doesn't take away static thrust so much
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:36 AM
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Mar 2011
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pardus View Post
Not a good woosher, I like that - no, it definately isn't. I'll try get the balance better and see if that will improve the sound. Where would one put a cheater hole / turbulator in the shroud? I have a stock 112mm Haoye Fan in a Bobcat and it sounds just like a quiet turbine! Want the same effect here.

This was still with the GWS EDF64's:

Graham,

She looks good - where do you fly?
Graham d is offline Find More Posts by Graham d
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:06 AM
Graham Dyer
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Jul 2003
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham d View Post
Graham, She looks good - where do you fly?
Hi Graham, have flown at Whitehills quite a few times otherwise in Northcliff at a big cricket field.
pardus is offline Find More Posts by pardus
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:38 AM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,517 Posts
Pardus,

Nice model.

Cheers,
Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:06 AM
Champagne Supernova
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2010
1,907 Posts
Could I get some opinions on using this motor with the CS 10 blade fan.

I have the Turnigy L2855 2800 kv motor on the way but came across this one in my hobby room this morning.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...450-Jet/Detail
FlyHighSelllow is offline Find More Posts by FlyHighSelllow
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:16 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHighSelllow View Post
Could I get some opinions on using this motor with the CS 10 blade fan.

I have the Turnigy L2855 2800 kv motor on the way but came across this one in my hobby room this morning.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...450-Jet/Detail
If it is a real 2950kv motor, it could pull 70-80amps on the CS10. Wouldn't last very long.....

Stick to the L2855-2800kv...
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:20 AM
Champagne Supernova
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2010
1,907 Posts
Quote:
If it is a real 2950kv motor, it could pull 70-80amps on the CS10. Wouldn't last very long.....

Stick to the L2855-2800kv...
Roger that. Might be ok for a 4 or 5 blade edf. I need to build a test stand...
FlyHighSelllow is offline Find More Posts by FlyHighSelllow
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:57 PM
United States, NC, Marion
Joined Jun 2011
753 Posts
hey guys i think iv decided on my power system for my 70mm sabre. Im gonna go with a cyclone power 3300kv and a cyclone power/changesun 10blade rotor with the cyclone power special 70mm metal housing. Im gonna run it on a 100amp ESC with a 14.8V 3200mAh 65C thunderpower lipo. I think it will have great peformance and overall power. Any ideas or suggestions, comments???
ncflyer79 is online now Find More Posts by ncflyer79
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:03 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
3,932 Posts
fwiw, i balance all of my outrunners , here is my method ; first i remove the clip and washers if there from the shaft so the bell can be removed, then i mount the motor backwards in the housing so the bell end is accessible. next , i run the motor up , almost always there is a imbalance, i use a small zip tie around the bell as a movable weight, the knob end being the weight, and using the clock method find the best balance spot . unless you get lucky it wont be perfect, so knowing the best spot for the weight i add 1 more zip tie ,again these are the very small ties. the balance either gets better or worse and from that u can decide if more or less is needed, sometimes it takes as much as 3 of the small ties .

its very easy to tell when u get it right........ at that point i pull the bell off and add thick ca or epoxy between the magnets inside the bell at the point where the ziptie knobs were. reassemble and try again , if u got lucky u will know it , if not u have to much or to little weight, so...... put 1 zip tie back on and clock it again , from that position u can tell whats needed , more or less at the orig spot or a small amount needed at an adjacent spot.

it's easier than it sounds and makes a huge difference when dynamically balancing as the weight is in the correct spot front to back rather on the rotor only .

chuck.
chas650r is online now Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:06 PM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncflyer79 View Post
hey guys i think iv decided on my power system for my 70mm sabre. Im gonna go with a cyclone power 3300kv and a cyclone power/changesun 10blade rotor with the cyclone power special 70mm metal housing. Im gonna run it on a 100amp ESC with a 14.8V 3200mAh 65C thunderpower lipo. I think it will have great peformance and overall power. Any ideas or suggestions, comments???
I have the setup but with a changesun 10blade in my similarly sized Mig-15. It rocks.

Only suggestion is to use a bigger battery for longer flight times. This setup will pull 80-90amps easy.

No need to go 65C. You could use a 4000mah 35c battery.
Even 4000mah doesn't last long at these current requirements.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:09 PM
United States, NC, Marion
Joined Jun 2011
753 Posts
Quote:
I have the setup but with a changesun 10blade in my similarly sized Mig-15. It rocks.

Only suggestion is to use a bigger battery for longer flight times. This setup will pull 80-90amps easy.

No need to go 65C. You could use a 4000mah 35c battery.
Even 4000mah doesn't last long at these current requirements.
thanks for the advice, the only reason I was gonna use that battery is because I already have it.
ncflyer79 is online now Find More Posts by ncflyer79
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:51 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,590 Posts
Chuck,
You're talking about actual dynamic balancing (i.e. multiple planes)
Dynamic doesn't mean 'while spinning' in terms of balancing, it means able to remove a dynamic unbalance, which can only be done using weight in two planes; in your case motor and rotor.

Huge difference, and why inrunners tend to be easier to set up. I'm yet to see a poorly balanced inrunner, even from HK.

Now to find an 1800kv inrunner to run this thing on 6s... anyone know of one?
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis