HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:35 AM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,312 Posts
I have a CS10 rotor that does not run true, through the arbor hole. I reported this earlier in the thread. This is one of the rotors that came with the complete CS10 fan unit. Poor molding can happen. I have had is present itself to other mfr's, even WeMoTec. Once in a while things like this slip through, in mass production.

The higher the volume, the more the risk, QC may miss something(that is if there is a QC)

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:31 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerobatman View Post
Here's a short video of my first EDF running the CS10 fan. All in all I like it! Just wish it were slightly louder
L2855 2300kv, 5s 3000 Sky Lipo 40c, 1000 watts, 52 amps.
I'm getting about 3:30 flight time with mixed throttle usage.

http://youtu.be/KtCqDdForhQ
Nice, how did you balance it?

regards
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:01 AM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post

regards
I bought an after market one with a nice aluminum spinner to replace the bad one I had. I had 2 of them, one was good.
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:46 AM
Akron, Ohio
Joined Nov 2005
425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post

regards
First off I'm using a shaft adapter from Extreme RC Aus, the stock adapters don't run true! I static balanced the rotor alone with CA glue on the back of three blades. Then I dynamically balanced the setup. I mounted the rotor and stock plastic nose cone and marked a line with a white grease pencil. Then I ran the motor up until I felt vibration. Then I turned the nose cone 1/5 turn away from the grease pencil mark and repeated until the fan ran true. Took some trial and error to get right, but not too hard to do.
Aerobatman is offline Find More Posts by Aerobatman
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:04 AM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
it was plainly obvious to anyone who has worked a lot with these rotors that they were not from the same molds but also it is a copy so is it better or worse? that was my only question. I did not see anyone shoot you down or I would have backed you up. they are not the same!! but they could be better........or worse....lol!!!
the cs 70/10 rotor is actually a very good rotor and come with very good consistency from cs I know this from balancing over 200 of them from when they first hit the market........I just wish all the products from china had the same quality and consistency of the cs 70/10........just dont turn them over 36k rpm this is their failing point.
exactly. it happened but all i cared about was to note they were different and find out if they were better or as u say worse. good to hear the c/s is that consistent, now if the adapters made the grade....

chuck.
chas650r is online now Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:15 AM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by genghiskt View Post
Is 46k rpm or 36k rpm ??
yep...my bad should be 46k rpm

thanks genghiskt
jcdfrd is online now Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:51 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerobatman View Post
First off I'm using a shaft adapter from Extreme RC Aus, the stock adapters don't run true! I static balanced the rotor alone with CA glue on the back of three blades. Then I dynamically balanced the setup. I mounted the rotor and stock plastic nose cone and marked a line with a white grease pencil. Then I ran the motor up until I felt vibration. Then I turned the nose cone 1/5 turn away from the grease pencil mark and repeated until the fan ran true. Took some trial and error to get right, but not too hard to do.
+1! Get the adapters from Extreme RC....I had the same experiences. Used the same procedure as above, with excellent results

-Gary
bamaguy is online now Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:33 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anlucas View Post
Guys,

I don't mean to be uptight but the CS10 rotor is made by ChangeSun. This is what is getting discussed here. Everything else, no matter how similar, if discussed here, can only lead to confusion to the newcomer.

In the end we have to be able to have a clear picture in order to try this, that or another product.

It could probably be useful if owners of the cyclone power opened a separate thread.
Don't worry about me , I'll post here if I feel like it .The fan is pretty much the same thing .
pencon is online now Find More Posts by pencon
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:10 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pencon View Post
Don't worry about me , I'll post here if I feel like it .The fan is pretty much the same thing .
Yes, you sure may post here......but we do not have to pay any attention to them. At least I don't, as I've blocked any of your future posts.
bamaguy is online now Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:33 PM
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,573 Posts
Not a very good attitude pencon..................................

As said it makes it hard for newbies when things are all mixed up in one thread.
Not a lot of trouble to start a new one eh.
Your type of attitude only prompts others not to post at all and every body looses
clive45 is offline Find More Posts by clive45
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:42 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,464 Posts
You know what guys ? I tried to order a CS rotor , theyre all sold out and on back order on Hobbyking, so I got it where I could .For all I know the thing is a CS rotor , it's probably made by the same company and just named differently .There is no other 10 blade thread to discuss these things .I apologize if I came across too abruptly earlier .
pencon is online now Find More Posts by pencon
Last edited by pencon; Nov 13, 2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:48 PM
Graham Dyer
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Jul 2003
699 Posts
I'm disappointed in the sound of my twin CS10 fans, they have L2855 2300kv motors in them on 3S in a own design Canadair Regional Jet drawing 54A max. There's very little 'whoosh', much more 'hairdryer' but I suspect the motor sound is perhaps drowning out the fan sound. I've balanced the blades, is it practical to try balance the motors?
pardus is offline Find More Posts by pardus
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:04 AM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,900 Posts
Yes! Not only practical, but often necessary!

I had to balance all 4 of my 2855 2100kv motors. I hand-held them in vicegrips and spun them very slowly with no load on the shaft. It is very easy to feel imbalance. I added small amounts of tape in systematic fashion to determine the light part of the bell. You can either CA the tape permanently in place, or grind away metal from the OD of the bell at the opposite (heavy) side.

Keep in mind that the 2855 barely fits in the motor tube in the first place, so there is minimal room for tape to be added.

tn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardus View Post
I'm disappointed in the sound of my twin CS10 fans, they have L2855 2300kv motors in them on 3S in a own design Canadair Regional Jet drawing 54A max. There's very little 'whoosh', much more 'hairdryer' but I suspect the motor sound is perhaps drowning out the fan sound. I've balanced the blades, is it practical to try balance the motors?
Thomas Nelson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Nelson
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:32 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
1,913 Posts
woosh in very low power nacelle setup?

Quote:
In nacelles you can't expect much woosh (as the Dynam Me-262 proves as well) as long as you're not artificially creating some turbulences. Maybe adding some cheater opening on the inside (invisibe)?
In your extremely low power setup (27A per motor on 3s w/ 2300kV) there can also be no woosh from the air entering and exiting.
If you don't change anything (cheaters, more power) the only thing you can expect to achieve is a quieter unit through balancing rotor & motor & dynmaically both with the spinner. But no woosh.
my2c
mopetista is online now Find More Posts by mopetista
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:36 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,285 Posts
Quote:
Statically balancing the blades is not enough if the motor is unbalanced like Thomas said above. You need to dynamically balance the fan, motor and spinner together using the clock method or by using a dynamic balancer.

That will take most of the noise away.

In general I just assemble motor and shaft adapter and try to get it to run as true as possible. The I attache the rotor and rotate it to get the best possible result/least vibration. Last step is to use any imbalance in the spinner to counteract any remaining imbalance in the motor/rotor combo. Out of the 11 fans assembled so far, I only needed to go back and add epoxy drops on 1 of them to get the job done.

The woosh does not come from the fan but from the airframe. Your airframe is probably not a good woosher.

The woosh most of the time comes from the air that rushes through sharp edges around or in the intakes.
anlucas is offline Find More Posts by anlucas