HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:58 AM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
833 Posts
Hey guys when I had my shaker flight with the new CS fan on 5s I had encountered problems that had me puzzled.
* 2950kv motor on 5s 3300 mAh 30C with CS 10 blade fan

parkzone habu 2 5s (6 min 17 sec)

I have now located the problem and turned out to be bad factory soldering on those motor lead extension wires. I have now replaced them with 12awg silicone wire and soldered them directly to the motor this time.

I actually prefer doing it this way but was surprised that this was the condition from factory. I was really lucky to not have had a crash as this is already a replacement plane from HH.

I recommend to everyone to solder the leads directly.

Has anyone tried using dielectric grease on connectors? This product claims to enhance the connection and prevents arcing and damage to battery connections.

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350143873.365261.jpg
Views: 449
Size: 110.8 KB
Description:
WhalleyB0Y is offline Find More Posts by WhalleyB0Y
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:03 AM
scunna
United Kingdom, England, South Shields
Joined May 2007
553 Posts
Lx a-10 all up weight 81lb 6 oz, 2x changesun fans 2x bl-32 motors on 5s . 5s 8000 ma 20-50 c nanotech( 2 1lb 1oz) 101 amps at 1865 watts lots of mods done. Removable tail, strengthened wing, new fans and motors dsr retracts , modified rear legs . Plane gives 6.5 pounds of thrust get 4 mins flying easy, flew it today video up in 30 mins. Flew off grass Awesome !

LX A-10 Changesun 70mm fans Bl-32 motors 5S 8000ma 20-50 c lipo AUW 8.5 pounds (0 min 0 sec)
scunna is offline Find More Posts by scunna
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:05 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
833 Posts
Wow great job Scunna, nice landing!
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:08 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalleyB0Y View Post
Hey guys when I had my shaker flight with the new CS fan on 5s I had encountered problems that had me puzzled.
* 2950kv motor on 5s 3300 mAh 30C with CS 10 blade fan..
Nice lookin Habu, I've seen it fly at around 7lbs IIRC and it was a floater on landings with no flaps.

You sure your fan is balanced, sounded like there were vibrations at WOT?

Regards
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:46 PM
scunna
United Kingdom, England, South Shields
Joined May 2007
553 Posts
Quote:
Wow great job Scunna, nice landing!
Thanx time to add decals and stores . Flew it with this lipo (2 pound one ounce weight)
scunna is offline Find More Posts by scunna
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:40 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
Nice lookin Habu, I've seen it fly at around 7lbs IIRC and it was a floater on landings with no flaps.

You sure your fan is balanced, sounded like there were vibrations at WOT?

Regards
It did sound like it was unbalanced especially at lower throttle ranges. Im hoping that was just because of a poor connection on one of the three motor phases. Seems like I remedied this with soldering leads directly. Sounds much better now.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:25 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,866 Posts
Quote:
* 2950kv motor on 5s 3300 mAh 30C with CS 10 blade fan

http://youtu.be/i5SBFfTQQpU

I have now located the problem and turned out to be bad factory soldering on those motor lead extension wires. I have now replaced them with 12awg silicone wire and soldered them directly to the motor this time.

I actually prefer doing it this way but was surprised that this was the condition from factory. I was really lucky to not have had a crash as this is already a replacement plane from HH.

I recommend to everyone to solder the leads directly.

Has anyone tried using dielectric grease on connectors? This product claims to enhance the connection and prevents arcing and damage to battery connections.

Attachment 5227343
Hmmm, were the bullet connector solder joints bad or did you replace the motor wires completely from the motor?
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:01 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
833 Posts
The motor wiring was good but the bullet connectors that were soldered on (by someone else) were bad. The three long leads that the stock Habu uses to run from the motor pigtails to the esc up front were also bad.
I only noticed this once I started using the CS fan and begun drawing higher currents. The motor had been sputtering and had a bad vibration.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:07 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,372 Posts
Hey folks , I would like to order a Het 1w-40 from EJF , and was wondering if the changesun fan would handle this motor on 5S or would it fly apart ? I do have a HEt 6904 but this thing just sounds so much better. What would be the maximum power package the change sun could handle?
pencon is online now Find More Posts by pencon
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:31 PM
Joined Nov 2005
5,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pencon View Post
Hey folks , I would like to order a Het 1w-40 from EJF , and was wondering if the changesun fan would handle this motor on 5S or would it fly apart ? I do have a HEt 6904 but this thing just sounds so much better. What would be the maximum power package the change sun could handle?
Watts matter less than thrust...depending on motors it could be wasting energy into heat...

Here's a vid with 6.5 - 7.5lbs of thrust through the CS 10 with EDF hobbies motor

CS 10 blade rotor, EDFHobbies 2950kv motor, 6s, 3000watts 7lbs of thrust (2 min 17 sec)
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:43 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
833 Posts
Wow, what size speed controller did you use? How long do you think this set up will last for? The 2950kv motor is rated for 96 amps?
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:49 PM
Joined Nov 2005
5,598 Posts
Quote:
Wow, what size speed controller did you use? How long do you think this set up will last for? The 2950kv motor is rated for 96 amps?
It wont last long not heat sunk, the metal shroud I used took a while to heat up so the proper amount of past wasn't used.

I use SUPPO esc's, after what I read today for the money they are prolly the best esc's in the market for 8s 100 amps.

They are 29usd...
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:56 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,866 Posts
Quote:
It wont last long not heat sunk, the metal shroud I used took a while to heat up so the proper amount of past wasn't used.

I use SUPPO esc's, after what I read today for the money they are prolly the best esc's in the market for 8s 100 amps.

They are 29usd...
That's a new on on me. I avoid Suppo ESCs for EDF applications. From DonsRC who sells EDF motors:
WARNING: Do not use any Wicked EDF motors with Electrifly or Suppo brushless ESCs, they can not handle the the high rpm of a 6 pole outrunner and will fry the ESC and motor. The Hobbywing Pentium brand of ESCs are the only recommended ESC for all Wicked EDF motors. If using any other brand please contact the ESC manufacturer to get the rpm limitation of the ESC with a 6 pole outrunner motor. If you are unsure of the ESC you have then please email DonsRC before you try as DonsRC can not be held responsible for burned out motors which are damaged due to lower quality brushless ESCs
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:13 PM
Joined Nov 2005
5,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
That's a new on on me. I avoid Suppo ESCs for EDF applications. From DonsRC who sells EDF motors:
WARNING: Do not use any Wicked EDF motors with Electrifly or Suppo brushless ESCs, they can not handle the the high rpm of a 6 pole outrunner and will fry the ESC and motor. The Hobbywing Pentium brand of ESCs are the only recommended ESC for all Wicked EDF motors. If using any other brand please contact the ESC manufacturer to get the rpm limitation of the ESC with a 6 pole outrunner motor. If you are unsure of the ESC you have then please email DonsRC before you try as DonsRC can not be held responsible for burned out motors which are damaged due to lower quality brushless ESCs
Those sound like they have an issue with the motors pole count and not ESC's themselves. Most motors edf deal with are 2 - 6 pole IINM

I've used SUPPOs for EDF for over 2 years now, the suppo 190/200 amp esc from HK will do 8s at around 110 amps....got YT vids of the 190 doing on 8s ...

I look at components before all other attributes...I've tried other ESCs and wont go back...I have a 300usd esc's FETs pop on me and I'm running them under spec then I'm ticked...I look at the FET specs and look up the MCU programming and see they're for the most part white boxed...
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:26 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,866 Posts
Quote:
Those sound like they have an issue with the motors pole count and not ESC's themselves. Most motors edf deal with are 2 - 6 pole IINM

I've used SUPPOs for EDF for over 2 years now, the suppo 190/200 amp esc from HK will do 8s at around 110 amps....got YT vids of the 190 doing on 8s ...

I look at components before all other attributes...I've tried other ESCs and wont go back...I have a 300usd esc's FETs pop on me and I'm running them under spec then I'm ticked...I look at the FET specs and look up the MCU programming and see they're for the most part white boxed...

I am glad they have worked well for you. Don's motors are superb and make excellent, reliable power for 64 mm EDF jets on a 3S and 4S. They are six pole motors.
RCG Plus Member