HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:54 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclecrash View Post
You can call it what you want but my fan has zero harmonic's all the way across the board
How about a video with a good sound track?
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:00 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,648 Posts
I have nothing to prove to you, and I do not have a computer that will handle my software for video. It is an old white dell if that tells you anything And even if I was able to post it and it was 100% there would be at least one or two who would try to say it was noisy or it was not balanced. I see it all the time 5 say yah and 1 says na so whats the point.
unclecrash is offline Find More Posts by unclecrash
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:19 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclecrash View Post
I have nothing to prove to you, and I do not have a computer that will handle my software for video. It is an old white dell if that tells you anything And even if I was able to post it and it was 100% there would be at least one or two who would try to say it was noisy or it was not balanced. I see it all the time 5 say yah and 1 says na so whats the point.
I have a couple of CS10 fans, also.....the one I'm currently using in the Cyclone unit only required about 20 min of effort to get it balanced, as well. Anyway, your point is well taken!
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:55 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,228 Posts
ahhh...a Dell from Hell! Had a few..
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:06 PM
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,504 Posts
Besides balancing, unless you use the same motor and aircraft the sound will be different, also some people have an ability to hear the higher frequencies as well.
None of my std CS10 adapters have run true...........
I have also had power systems (fan/motor) built by mark and they are still running smooth.
clive45 is offline Find More Posts by clive45
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:10 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clive45 View Post
None of my std CS10 adapters have run true...........
I have also had power systems (fan/motor) built by mark and they are still running smooth.
Neither of my stock 4mm adapters ran true. I use Mark's, which are perfect!
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:13 PM
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,504 Posts
When playing with this sort of gear it pays to use the good stuff, saves much frustration and swearing
clive45 is offline Find More Posts by clive45
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:44 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
9,356 Posts
The adaptor screws are drilled at an angle on purpose. (The CS12 do the same thing too)
Every one of mine have been like that, and they are angled to bite better into a shaft because the 'sharp ridge' of the grub screw is then the contact point and not its flat face. - they are angled, just very fractionally, in the direction of circumference, not will nilly error.
At least my large enough sample of them suggest it was intentional! LOL

I have not had a problem with even one stock adaptor, and I have 10 CS10's setup and balanced.
Two are using ERC adaptors and they came out no better than the rest. And that included purposely using both stock and ERC on various setups to see an expected 'miraculous difference' - which never occured. LOL
That is not because the ERC adaptors are not better, but just because the others were easily fine anyway. The runouts on those stock ones were negligible (if even measurable), plus I have not had a loose fitting one yet either. (All motors used are Turningy covering 4 or 5 different types they have, from inrunners to outrunners, and are 4mm shafts). So the end result after balancing was fine in every case.

The biggest source of imbalance I have found is in the rotor itself, though of course if you did have an adaptor issue that would almost be incurable if you kept that adaptor in use. (You can rotate and re-sequence the grub screw tightening to fix some forms of adaptor 'error').

I only run up to approx 1100w area max (1.8Kg thrust max area), so the RPM by then has not reached a critical balance point - of course balancing still matters, but I can balance the stock adaptors fine to deal with that RPM. The ERC adaptors are in 1250W HET setups, so the RPM are a bit higher - and I am fairly sure I never set those up with stock adaptors (eg first) so I have no reference on what those two might have done otherwise. Those are on 3.17mm shafts, which are not great at the best of times (more flex than 4mm) - though whilst those two are running totally fine, I would not go under a 4mm shaft again, for any power level, just because 4mm have less flex and thus more lenient to a micron of imbalance.
So possibly if I used a stock adaptor on those two 3.17mm shaft setups it would be no good then (would show up issues much easier) - but all the other 4mm's have all been fine.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ESC/Battery Anti-Spark lead
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:58 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,345 Posts
Hmm wemotec need to stop drilling straight holes in their adapters and angle them...
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:52 PM
Joined Nov 2006
9,356 Posts
Either way would work totally fine anyway (flat or angled). As long as the angled method is not overly severe an angle, because if it went too far it would then run purely on the 'sharp ridge' and you want it only 'marginally on the ridge' so that the edge bites in and then the flat resumes major contact right away. (eg might be just a few degrees angle max wanted)

Some rocket scientist at CS probably came up with the idea.... or they set the tooling/jig up wrong, LOL. But at least they only got it 'wrong' in a way that is fine.
But I have bought them over a many many months period and all are the same, so an error in tooling setup is unlikely. (or they made one run of 5,322,432 that are all still being shipped out still today)
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ESC/Battery Anti-Spark lead
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:25 PM
Joined Jun 2012
370 Posts
I have a 8mm CS12 hub here and the hole are straight just not at perfect 90 degree points around the circumference.

but I do remember the CS10 hole were all crooked
PAPE is offline Find More Posts by PAPE
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:58 PM
Joined Nov 2006
9,356 Posts
Pictures are hard to trust, due to lens distortion... but you seem to have aimed to run the photo right through from hole to hole (opposing sides). So based on that 'photo accuracy reference' you can see that the threads area actually angled... circrumference-wise, and also longitudal-wise. Just a degree approx. And both pictures show that same thing.

So the holes are not actually 'straight through' as per your camera view might suggest (to some), you are just seeing the 95% portion that will show right through even though the actual hole was really fractionally angled.

I use a hole in the shroud to feed an allen head driver through, the hole is 3.3mm versus a 3.0mm driver shaft, and that gives you a good fixed reference that will show you how they are all angled, the same amount, all four.... per adaptor. CS10's and CS12's.
The grub screws have deep enough 'slots' to lock in the allen head by enough to assure they are in-line with the grub screw (not tilting in the grub screw at all), so all the references are fixed by physical points, not just guesstimated by vision or feel.
I found the very first hole I ever made in a shroud was a 'bit askew' to allow that total deep and tight fit of the allen head driver, so I made a new one more suited to be correct. From then on I drill the exact same hole in every housing, to assure consistency in that perfectly fit allen head driver. And they always do. Thus why across my 10 CS10's, and 6 CS12's, my assessment is that they are all drilled and tapped exactly the same (within good tolerance anyway), and also why that angled thread stood out to me the first time I ever assembled one.
I have not had any other fan types - low blade count - even CS's, that have had that. Well, at least none that I ever registered it in.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PeterVRC; Oct 08, 2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:38 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
2,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ispintechno View Post
Not to post too much about it, but I have in hindsight see some kind of oddity with the stock adapter. Several of the 4 screws that bite down on the motor shaft, well they are a bit crooked. They angle to the side and not drilled straight. The screws aren't cross threaded, I did make sure of that when installing. But one in particular is at a bit of a noticeable angle. Maybe this prevents a good grip on the motor shaft as well.
Possibly something for others to look out for.
It`s bad enough that two of the holes on the inside are very close together.
I`ll see if my phone camera`s macro setting can show it.
EDIT: nope blurry. But it looks ok from the outside, but inside the holes are all over.
As of late the stock adapters's set screw theaded holes may not be clean. So, you tighten the set screws thinking that they have bitten through to the shaft but they haven't....

I have had to do lots of cleaning up on some of mine...

Mark's(ExtremeRC) adapters are a dream....
anlucas is online now Find More Posts by anlucas
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:42 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2006
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ispintechno View Post
Does anybody know of a collet adapter that will fit this fan?
Those type of adapters from my other 70mm fans are too short.

I broke the rotor today. I tightened the 4 grub screws down tight and the thing still flew off the motor shaft and broke a blade. I was lucky it hit and came out sideways so my hand could absorb some of the loose energy in the room. That was unexpected. It bit me.
Need a new rotor now, don't trust the screws on a smooth motor shaft.

Rookie mistake I know...
Not that this will be very helpful but was throttling up, got up to 36amps and climbing on 4S before she let go. Wasn't quite at full power yet lol Turnigy L2855-2800 EDF Outrunner.
Sorry you got bit and glad your ok. Did you happen to use loctite on the adapter and on the motor shaft? I always rough mine up a little with sandpaper and coat them real good with loctite and haven't had one let go yet. My stock 3.17mm adapter did run true but the stock 4mm did. Haven't had any problems yet, just my 2cents.

Good luck.
dpowellmeii is offline Find More Posts by dpowellmeii
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:06 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2006
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anlucas View Post
This is a 64mm airframe. You have 2 challenges with this one.

1. enlarge the edf mount to fit the 70mm in.
2. Where to locate a good size 4S lipo.

If you are sure you can do 1. above then I suggest something like the Turnigy L2855-2300kv motor with the CS 10 Blade fan + a smallish 4S 1800-2200mah 40C lipo.

This would give you about 1Kg of thrust sustained at around 37amps to push this along.

This is a big if though.
Finally got around to ordering the F-18 from NitroPlanes for my CS fan. The MaxJet F-18 I wanted wasn't in stock so I ordered the AirField F-18 in the white version to repaint it in the Blue Angels livery. I've test fit the CS-70 10blade fan in it and will only have to shave a little foam out to make it fit and then will need to open the exhaust ducts a little to get to 95% FSA. The battery compartment is huge, my 5s 2700mah pack and 4s 3000mah pack have no problem going in there.

Its about the same size as my Phase 3 EF-16 and I'm running the CS-70 in it with awesome performance. As soon as I recover from my surgery I'm going to post a video of it.

Later,
D
dpowellmeii is offline Find More Posts by dpowellmeii