LOL that's some good info St martin gave you
unclecrash is offline Find More Posts by unclecrash
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:29 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Does anybody know of a collet adapter that will fit this fan?
Those type of adapters from my other 70mm fans are too short.

I broke the rotor today. I tightened the 4 grub screws down tight and the thing still flew off the motor shaft and broke a blade. I was lucky it hit and came out sideways so my hand could absorb some of the loose energy in the room. That was unexpected. It bit me.
Need a new rotor now, don't trust the screws on a smooth motor shaft.

Rookie mistake I know...
Not that this will be very helpful but was throttling up, got up to 36amps and climbing on 4S before she let go. Wasn't quite at full power yet lol Turnigy L2855-2800 EDF Outrunner.
Ispintechno is offline Find More Posts by Ispintechno
Last edited by Ispintechno; Oct 07, 2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:48 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
Try grinding a flat spot for one of the grub screws to bite into. You got lucky my friend. Never hold or stand by the fan when testing. I hook up my camcorder on a tripod and leave the room. Also be careful of that ring you accidently touch it to the battery leads wrong and you will wish you took it off.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:48 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,593 Posts
You guys need to understand there are only two ways motors dissipate heat. The first pathway is thru motor mass and the second pathway is thru outer surface area. The small gap between motor windings and rotor do not flow enough air to effectively cool a motor and you see the smaller motors smoke because of this. Where cutting holes in a motor holder might help cool the ends of the motor the air only affects the edge of the windings not the inner windings.
Outrunners have an advantage in cooling if it is mounted on a standoff where airflow over the motor can help metabolise the heat being produced by the windings.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:49 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,327 Posts
OUCH!! I'm glad thats your only injury. I don't trust the stock adapters. I trust the collet type, even less. The stock adapters are the first I have used, with 4 set screws. Most adapters use two, and hold up to 2k watts, no problem. The problem I see, is the run out of the stock adapters. This would possibly cause "walking" of the adapter up the motor shaft.

If anyone purchased one of these fans, and asked what the prime mod they could do to it, I would tell them to trash the stock adapters. Strip the grub screws and nut&washer, for future use. And, buy a true after market replacement, like Mark at Extreme sells.

I now have purchased 5 CS10 fans. And not one adapter was true. One rotor was not true through the adapter hole. But the grub screw design vs collet, is not what is at fault here.

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:52 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclecrash View Post
Try grinding a flat spot for one of the grub screws to bite into. You got lucky my friend. Never hold or stand by the fan when testing. I hook up my camcorder on a tripod and leave the room.
Noted. And will be standard procedure!
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:57 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,593 Posts
I use the adapters and the spinner washer made by Tamjets with the stock spinner. no problems with mine either. In fact I did not have to do much of anything except put the adapter on and run the motor to see how well the part fit the shaft and tighten it. Then add the rotor, spinner washer, and the spinner. It was just about as good as one could expect.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:07 PM
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,593 Posts
I use the adapters from ExtremeRC (Australia) and have had no problems at all, you can also get an aluminum spinner to fit the standard fan CS10, I like the hole through the adapter to let you tighten the fan nut easily.
http://www.extremerc.com.au/estore/

If you have a heat problem then an Alloy shroud is the way to go IMHO
clive45 is offline Find More Posts by clive45
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:07 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Martin View Post
OUCH!! I'm glad thats your only injury. I don't trust the stock adapters. I trust the collet type, even less. The stock adapters are the first I have used, with 4 set screws. Most adapters use two, and hold up to 2k watts, no problem. The problem I see, is the run out of the stock adapters. This would possibly cause "walking" of the adapter up the motor shaft.

If anyone purchased one of these fans, and asked what the prime mod they could do to it, I would tell them to trash the stock adapters. Strip the grub screws and nut&washer, for future use. And, buy a true after market replacement, like Mark at Extreme sells.

I now have purchased 5 CS10 fans. And not one adapter was true. One rotor was not true through the adapter hole. But the grub screw design vs collet, is not what is at fault here.

Fuzz
Thank you for your thoughts on the matter. Yep, thinking again about just getting it from Mark. I was going to buy a whole power system from him a while back but I shop with VISA/Debit online that didn't work for him. I now have a credit card that would certainly work (didn't want one as I used to work for that evil MasterCard when i was younger).
I'd trust Mark to put this together for me lol
Grinding flat spots on the motor shaft and leaving the room during run up would be the other option.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:27 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Not to post too much about it, but I have in hindsight see some kind of oddity with the stock adapter. Several of the 4 screws that bite down on the motor shaft, well they are a bit crooked. They angle to the side and not drilled straight. The screws aren't cross threaded, I did make sure of that when installing. But one in particular is at a bit of a noticeable angle. Maybe this prevents a good grip on the motor shaft as well.
Possibly something for others to look out for.
It`s bad enough that two of the holes on the inside are very close together.
I`ll see if my phone camera`s macro setting can show it.
EDIT: nope blurry. But it looks ok from the outside, but inside the holes are all over.
Last edited by Ispintechno; Oct 07, 2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:29 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,551 Posts
Yes sometimes debit cards from overseas wont be accepted here, often US cards are blocked automatically and you need to call your bank and ask them to allow the transaction from X country. I take PP for overseas sales when this happens.

Shaft diameter plays a big part with the running of these fans, 3.17 can be quite a lot of work to fine tune, 4mm is much easier, and 5mm is a cinch, drop a balanced rotor onto a 5mm adapter and it usually requires very little or no adjustment. Spinner caps always require a little adjustment and sometimes balancing if you want it turbine smooth, but the process is easy and almost anyone can follow the instructions that come with all my current CS10 fans and get a good result.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:16 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
I got mine balanced with all stock parts within 20 minutes. That's spinner adapter rotor and shroud. Just takes a bit of patients but the stock stuff will work!
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:24 PM
Joined Jun 2012
430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclecrash View Post
I got mine balanced with all stock parts within 20 minutes. That's spinner adapter rotor and shroud. Just takes a bit of patients but the stock stuff will work!
static balance mabye, but dynamic balancing takes longer I personaly take from 5-7 hours to get a fan runing perfect. 1-2 hours at a time. Oh I also dynamic balance outruners with epoxy betwen the magnets.
PAPE is offline Find More Posts by PAPE
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:41 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
You can call it what you want but my fan has zero harmonic's all the way across the board
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:45 PM
Joined Jun 2012
430 Posts
thats great for 20 min of work.
PAPE is offline Find More Posts by PAPE