Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:50 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scunna View Post
90 mm sized plane with 70 mm changesun fan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyqtD...ature=youtu.be
That really sounds like a turbine. Very nice. Thanks for sharing.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:50 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scunna View Post

Hi bamaguy 61 amps on 6s bl-32 motor stock 70 mm cs-10 80 amp turnigy plush . My a-10 is nearly ready so excited two of them fans on 5 s pushing 6.5 pounds of thrust 8000 ma batt weight 8 1lbs ish sound is incredible
Thanks for the info. I just received one of the units below....very nice workmanship on the aluminum fan housing....going to test it in my Habu 2 airframe. If all goes well, I'll use a pair of them in my LX A10.

http://rc-castle.com/shop/product_in...oducts_id=2844
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:49 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaguy View Post
Thanks for the info. I just received one of the units below....very nice workmanship on the aluminum fan housing....going to test it in my Habu 2 airframe. If all goes well, I'll use a pair of them in my LX A10.

http://rc-castle.com/shop/product_in...oducts_id=2844
Yeah, I wonder about that motor, that fan housing and the 10blade CS rotor too.
flylow2011 is offline Find More Posts by flylow2011
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:05 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,420 Posts
The Cyclone fan housing, looks as tho there are no cooling holes for the motor. That would be the only cooling for the magnets, if using an in-runner. The windings would receive radiational cooling from the metal construction. While magnet cooling is not an issue on "top-end" motors, like Kontronic, that have no cooling holes in the motor. But motors like Mega, HET, ARC, etc have them for a reason. The magnets are not of the same quality.

I would be concerned with de-magging with this shroud with an in-runner.

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:39 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Martin View Post
I would be concerned with de-magging with this shroud with an in-runner.

Fuzz
Being that this motor is longer than the BL32 (60mm vs: 50mm) and there is a lot of Aluminum for a heat sink, hopefully excessive heat won't be an issue. I'll keep tabs on it with my temp gun during testing tomorrow.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:13 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
Just drill yourself a few holes for cooling. For 26 bucks you can't beat it for an alloy fan shroud.
unclecrash is offline Find More Posts by unclecrash
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:28 PM
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,603 Posts
Which alloy fan housing is $26 and where can you get them please.
clive45 is online now Find More Posts by clive45
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:55 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clive45 View Post
Which alloy fan housing is $26 and where can you get them please.
Here......It's $23 when ordered with the motor. Fast service from these folks. Took 11 days from ordering to receipt here in Alabama.

http://rc-castle.com/shop/product_in...oducts_id=2849
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:39 PM
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,603 Posts
Thanks Bamaguy, what is the impression of this fan.
clive45 is online now Find More Posts by clive45
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:05 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clive45 View Post
Thanks Bamaguy, what is the impression of this fan.
It's the first (and only) aluminum EDF shrould that I have, so I don't have any thing to compare it to. The ones that are sold by Xtreme are probably superior, but this unit is NOT flimsy by any means and the motor and CS10 fit perfectly. As St Martin indicated, there are no cooling holes in the mount for the motor. I'll monitor temps closely tomorrow, and will drill cooling holes if warranted, later.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:29 AM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaguy View Post
Being that this motor is longer than the BL32 (60mm vs: 50mm) and there is a lot of Aluminum for a heat sink, hopefully excessive heat won't be an issue. I'll keep tabs on it with my temp gun during testing tomorrow.
But, you cannot test the heat of the motors core.(rotor) Possibly some indication can be indicated at the shaft bearings. But, this area would be cooler by an unknown ratio to the rotor's core. Length of the motor would have nothing to do with the rotors heat. It receives little radiational cooling from the case.

Possibly, if the segmented rotor(magnets) is wrapped with glass or Kevlar, the quality of the resin my fail before the magnets demag. Had this happen on imports even with the designed flow through cooling was functioning properly.

If it's just a simple matter of drilling a few holes, why not just do that, to begin with? Would be a shame to ruin a 49$ motor with a 23$ shroud.

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:49 AM
scunna
United Kingdom, England, South Shields
Joined May 2007
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
Scunna
my flying buddy just did a ProJet A10 and we installed two of our NJfans which is the v15 housing and bl32 motor and cs70/10 rotor and running a 65c nano 5000 6s pack.......let me just tell you this thing has ridiculous power and is a blast to fly. I was a little worried about the batt setup being a little small for the 140amp at wot draw but as it turned out the power is soo overwhelming that you never really go over half throttle unless your going vertical, flight times are well over 5mins and our record flight time was over 7min this is all do to the fact that at 40% throttle this thing is doing over 100mph and full throttle is scary fast.......such a great model to fly
here a vid of it, the vid is just ok, its a gopro helmet cam will get some better vid of this thing tomorrow hehehe gives me a reason too fly it again lol!!!
http://youtu.be/Oci3iDb8QSU
I just hope my lx a-10 flies ist 8 pound only puts out 6 pound ten ounces on 5s. But it sounds nice. The battery is a 8000 ma nano
scunna is offline Find More Posts by scunna
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:52 AM
scunna
United Kingdom, England, South Shields
Joined May 2007
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylow2011 View Post
Very nice flight, nice Mirage 2000 you have there.
I wonder what did you do with the exhaust, the intake of your Mirage 2000?
Any modification on the ducting system or just stock ducting???

I guess that with the 70mm fan, there will be plenty of
room for some nice electric retracts :-)

thanks.
No mods to the ducting . Cut a hatch at rear behind wing seat mounted fan on beams. I did not think the 70mm would work but it has turned out well.
scunna is offline Find More Posts by scunna
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:53 AM
United Kingdom, England, Durham
Joined Apr 2011
230 Posts
Update video of my lander hunter fitted with the new dps alloy 10 blade 70m fan

Lander Hunter HK 70mm dps new metal changesun fan, 6s (3 min 57 sec)
disho is offline Find More Posts by disho
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:06 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,806 Posts
Change Sun 10 Blade in the new Cyclone Aluminum Housing/Cyclone IR550-2200-40 Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Martin View Post
If it's just a simple matter of drilling a few holes, why not just do that, to begin with? Would be a shame to ruin a 49$ motor with a 23$ shroud.

Fuzz
I took your advice and drilled four 6mm holes in the mount plate in line with the cooling holes in the front motor plate. May not have been necessary, but better safe, than sorry! I mounted the tail cone and temp never got above 115F....I doubt if any internal temp was above 150F.

Readings below were obtained after a 30 second run up at 2/3rds throttle (I don't have any way to measure thrust ESC is an Exceed (HobbyWing) 80amp OPTO.

SkyLipo 6S 4400/40c 23-22.3v 74.6-72.1amps 1626-1580watts

GensAce 6S 5300/30c 23.8-21.9v 78.6-74.1amps 1778-1660watts

(ran the GensAce a bit longer than the SkyLipo)

With either battery, both the ESC and the battery were barely warm to the touch.

Using the ExtremeRC 4mm fan adapter, which fit perfectly....I do need to get his machined nose cone. The stock plastic is marginal.
Last edited by bamaguy; Oct 07, 2012 at 05:34 PM.