HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:24 PM
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,554 Posts
Nearly always when someone says they are not getting enough power/thrust they leave out the all important voltage under load.............. makes a hell of a difference if your battery is not holding voltage.
clive45 is offline Find More Posts by clive45
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:18 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,286 Posts
"Fact is, today I flew with some new 60-120C batteries in a plane that used to get 30C batteries, and man, I love it. Size and weight is about the same due to technology improvements, but the POWER, the FLIGHT TIME and the BATT TEMP all were synergystically improved. More initial power let me throttle back earlier, lower internal resistance also let the throttle stay lower, and also kept the temps down."

I smell some bull in there.....

You cannot get an increase in flight time AND power at the same time. The battery C (IR) has ZERO to do with that mathematics. If you use higher C, and get more power, you will DEPLETE the capacity FASTER = LESS flight time.
"but the POWER, the FLIGHT TIME and the BATT TEMP all were synergystically improved"... you can't have those ALL.
And if you use the higher power you will also run the battery hotter too... back to what the temp of a lower C, doing less, ran at.

The ONLY benefits of a higher C are:
1) Higher power ABILITY - you don't have to use it, but if you DO then flight time goes down.
2) Lower battery temp for any given power versus a lower C battery - but that is irrelevant as long as you weren't pushing either battery over acceptable temps anyway.

Generally you will have paid 2x or 3x the battery price, for the 10% to 20% more power.... hardly an economical sensibility choice. The higher C MIGHT last a bit longer, but certainly not double or more. Not even 50% more really.
So it loses out economically.
And it still just comes down to "If you NEED the power, then you will have to PAY for it, via higher C". But you certainly don't need it at all for a totally decent flying plane.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:41 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2006
677 Posts
Is it my imagination or was there a bad batch of CS 10bladers that people were getting a few weeks ago? If so where were these purchased from?
dpowellmeii is offline Find More Posts by dpowellmeii
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:37 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Might be a silly question, but are you guys grinding flat spots in your motor shafts to install this fan?
The adapter has a set screw, different from my other fans.
Ispintechno is offline Find More Posts by Ispintechno
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:58 PM
Joined Nov 2006
10,286 Posts
The reason you can't use (or rely on) anyone else's test results as "what you will get" is because they rarely list ALL the information that is important to be able to know that. And even can have mis-leading (unintentionally) information.

First you need to know EVERY component. Including the specs and brand of battery. Most give almost all of that... but rarely truly all of that.

Next you really need a VIDEO of the test, because if you have tested stuff (motors, fans etc etc) you will have seen how widely fluctuating the numbers are.... from the initial big peak for seconds, and the decline from there on.
Which number(s) are you going to post??? The peak at 1.0secs, 2.0secs... 20secs..?? No one states. And even if they do, was it 1.0 or 2.0 secs from starting the test, or some amount later?... even that alters things a lot. They couldn't even have scanned their eyes from number to number quick enough for them all to have been at the same point in time.
Was the battery fresh off the charger, or a day old... or more... or used for one test just before etc.
All these things add BIG variations!!!

So basically.... no posted numbers of overly great use to know for sure what you will get! Just rough ballpark....
UNLESS that person makes the effort to post and explain ALL the facts/information. And got the numbers from a video recording of the tests, which then allow freeze frame at specific time points.

I find almost all tests (and I do TONS) fall short of what most people post. Showing they were obviously not recording facts properly, or clearly.

Oh... and the common shown "Power meter memory", which stores the min Volts, max Power, max Amps... etc etc. That is all but useless!!! They are not recorded at the same point in time... but often actually people post/quote those numbers... and even when you do the maths on some sets of results you can see they don't add up. (impossible by electronic laws etc)

Sometimes someone does do something wrong on their setup that falls short of what others that have posted info found when they did it. So you still have to check into you own stuff, to make sure you don;t have errors due to your own setup. But if that is all done right, then that is that.... you are seeing what really comes from that setup. And if someone else's was 'tons better', then it is likely their information was not truly correct.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:11 PM
Joined Nov 2006
10,286 Posts
The stock CS10 adaptor has 4 grub screws.... so they provide ample grip around the shaft. You wouldn't grind just one flat for that system.
Even with two grub screws you don't really need a flat (or two flats) - though by that low number of grip points you might gain some use.

So basically..... 4 or 2 grub screws.... no flats...
1 grub screw.... definitely have a flat!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:14 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
The stock CS10 adaptor has 4 grub screws.... so they provide ample grip around the shaft. You wouldn't grind just one flat for that system.
Even with two grub screws you don't really need a flat (or two flats) - though by that low number of grip points you might gain some use.

So basically..... 4 or 2 grub screws.... no flats...
1 grub screw.... definitely have a flat!
Thank you! I was afraid it might come apart. Totally answered my question.
Ispintechno is offline Find More Posts by Ispintechno
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:04 AM
scunna
United Kingdom, England, South Shields
Joined May 2007
572 Posts
90 mm sized plane with 70 mm changesun fan

Fly Fly mirage 70 mm changesun 10 blade fan Eflite bl-32 motor 6s 4500 45c nanotech (2 min 43 sec)
scunna is online now Find More Posts by scunna
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:29 AM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,641 Posts
[QUOTE=scunna;22928639]90 mm sized plane with 70 mm changesun fan]

Sounds (and flys GREAT)! Nice job, Rod.

What is the amp draw, and what ESC are you using? Are you using stock CS housing, or ?????

Thanks....Gary
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:50 AM
scunna
Joined May 2007
572 Posts
[QUOTE=bamaguy;22928793]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scunna View Post
90 mm sized plane with 70 mm changesun fan]

Sounds (and flys GREAT)! Nice job, Rod.

What is the amp draw, and what ESC are you using? Are you using stock CS housing, or ?????

Thanks....Gary
Hi bamaguy 61 amps on 6s bl-32 motor stock 70 mm cs-10 80 amp turnigy plush . My a-10 is nearly ready so excited two of them fans on 5 s pushing 6.5 pounds of thrust 8000 ma batt weight 8 1lbs ish sound is incredible
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:11 PM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,251 Posts
Where is the cheapest place to buy this fan? All I really need is the rotor, but it sounds like they dont sell it by itself? thanks...
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:14 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2006
677 Posts
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyqtD...ature=youtu.be
Sweet! What kind of static thrust are you getting?
dpowellmeii is offline Find More Posts by dpowellmeii
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:32 PM
scunna
Joined May 2007
572 Posts
Model weighs 4.5 pound . Nearly hovers. It has after burner ring as well.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:28 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,816 Posts
Quote:
Hi bamaguy 61 amps on 6s bl-32 motor stock 70 mm cs-10 80 amp turnigy plush . My a-10 is nearly ready so excited two of them fans on 5 s pushing 6.5 pounds of thrust 8000 ma batt weight 8 1lbs ish sound is incredible
Scunna
my flying buddy just did a ProJet A10 and we installed two of our NJfans which is the v15 housing and bl32 motor and cs70/10 rotor and running a 65c nano 5000 6s pack.......let me just tell you this thing has ridiculous power and is a blast to fly. I was a little worried about the batt setup being a little small for the 140amp at wot draw but as it turned out the power is soo overwhelming that you never really go over half throttle unless your going vertical, flight times are well over 5mins and our record flight time was over 7min this is all do to the fact that at 40% throttle this thing is doing over 100mph and full throttle is scary fast.......such a great model to fly
here a vid of it, the vid is just ok, its a gopro helmet cam will get some better vid of this thing tomorrow hehehe gives me a reason too fly it again lol!!!
A-10 Warthog by Projet (6 min 1 sec)
jcdfrd is online now Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:33 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,103 Posts
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyqtD...ature=youtu.be
Very nice flight, nice Mirage 2000 you have there.
I wonder what did you do with the exhaust, the intake of your Mirage 2000?
Any modification on the ducting system or just stock ducting???

I guess that with the 70mm fan, there will be plenty of
room for some nice electric retracts :-)

thanks.
flylow2011 is offline Find More Posts by flylow2011