SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:05 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk0077 View Post
For best thrust, what timing are you guys using on the L2855 2100kv? Medium or high? Also 8 or 16khz?
High timing gave best thrust but this would cook the motor. From my initial testing with an HK SS 90-100A ESC on high timing and 8Khz, I got about 2.4Kg which is similar to the new Lander MBS fan.

Vm 21.86
Ap 71.80
Wp 1642.7

I only use low timing with this motor on 6S to keep amps below 60.
anlucas is online now Find More Posts by anlucas
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:09 AM
Joined Oct 2009
1,288 Posts
Ok thanks, Anlucas. Great job on those test results!
nighthawk0077 is offline Find More Posts by nighthawk0077
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:11 PM
Joined Jun 2007
470 Posts
same here...

Interesting. I got almost same result in F-35 airframe. Smoke was black.

40 seconds in the flight after 10 sec WOT pass smoke came out at 75% throttle in the turn. CP480-2500 magnets cracked and some small pieces of one got loose, windings burnt, wires to ESC melted insulation and were close to shorting rudder / elevator/ vector trust servo wires. Landed into the grass with wheels down bent front strut only.
So CP480-2500 no go on 6S (I use 3300 35C Zippy compact). Bench test was only 72A. 5S likely will be safe but may not give enough power to move plane.
I guess HET 2W30 is the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk671 View Post
Well here is my flight footage from yesterday! Everything seemed to be going well! I probably should have used better throttle management because I ended up toasting my motor! After the last high speed pass came the dreaded white smoke!!! Somehow though i was able to glide that heavy f-18 to safety. Bent the landing gear just a little but the plane is more or less in one piece!! It sucks because the plane sounded great!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id4j...e_gdata_player
DenisM is offline Find More Posts by DenisM
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:41 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisM View Post
Interesting. I got almost same result in F-35 airframe. Smoke was black.

40 seconds in the flight after 10 sec WOT pass smoke came out at 75% throttle in the turn. CP480-2500 magnets cracked and some small pieces of one got loose, windings burnt, wires to ESC melted insulation and were close to shorting rudder / elevator/ vector trust servo wires. Landed into the grass with wheels down bent front strut only.
So CP480-2500 no go on 6S (I use 3300 35C Zippy compact). Bench test was only 72A. 5S likely will be safe but may not give enough power to move plane.
I guess HET 2W30 is the way to go.
I've been using CP 2500 on 6s < 45c for almost 6 months, I did notice that it will have to have some throttle management. I smoked the first one I had on 65c packs and a wrong diameter on a thrust tube. I got over 6lbs of thrust on 65c packs on the CP 2500kv motor so I think that extra half volt the 65c packs is too much.

5.5lbs of thrust at around 80 amps using <45c 6s packs scoots things along pretty good.

I can fly the jets with that motor on 4, 5 and 6s with the cs fans..

Note: On the CPs makes sure to add some heat shrink near the windings so the wires wont short...the one I had the holes the motor wires come out of are sharp and short the wires enough
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:35 AM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,848 Posts
Cyclone Power Combo?

Anyone try this CP combo, yet? Looks like it should do quite well.....maybe I'll pull the trigger on it.

http://rc-castle.com/shop/product_in...oducts_id=2844
bamaguy is online now Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:40 AM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaguy View Post
Anyone try this CP combo, yet? Looks like it should do quite well.....maybe I'll pull the trigger on it.

http://rc-castle.com/shop/product_in...oducts_id=2844
I don't know anything about it except what the web site said...be careful what you are putting it in 'cos it looks non-standard in size.
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 Drawing to a close!
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:08 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,754 Posts
Well the whole 'blab' along with that cyclone power inrunner motor looks good!
So if it does as they show, it is a perfect 5S and 6S range motor for CS10's. Bar the 29.5mm size which I am not if that will fit in the stock housing or not.
But if you wanted to run it at 6S you probably really want their alloy housing anyway.
If it fit the ExtremeRC housing that would be a better alloy housing to get as it is lighter.
$49 is good value for its specs. And it is very "HET-like" really.

It looks very likely to be good, if not great.
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:13 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Well the whole 'blab' along with that cyclone power inrunner motor looks good!
So if it does as they show, it is a perfect 5S and 6S range motor for CS10's. Bar the 29.5mm size which I am not if that will fit in the stock housing or not.
But if you wanted to run it at 6S you probably really want their alloy housing anyway.
If it fit the ExtremeRC housing that would be a better alloy housing to get as it is lighter.
$49 is good value for its specs. And it is very "HET-like" really.

It looks very likely to be good, if not great.

Extremerc housing will fit?
no no situation because the
Motor Housing ID: 28.25mm
flylow2011 is offline Find More Posts by flylow2011
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:28 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,754 Posts
That is what I said... IF it fits.
I could have measured it I guess....
Oh well, that is annoying then, as the ERC housing is the best value, well made, alloy housing around. And that motor looks like a match in great value and specs.

People have been known to GRIND motor housings to a smaller diameter!! LOL
So if it is only 0.5mm I would do that!! Thus you are only grinding down 0.25mm of housing surface, which is nothing out of this sort of motor casing thickness.
That would also make for a tight, and rigid, heat conducting fit in the fan housing too.
You might even weigh up on taking off some from the motor housing surface AND a micron off the ERC motor mount - but I would think just all off the motor is likely to be best. Seeing the ERC alloy is no more than 'just what is required', plus best to leave it standard for when you change it for other motor use maybe one day.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PeterVRC; Sep 27, 2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:38 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGS2010 View Post
I don't know anything about it except what the web site said...be careful what you are putting it in 'cos it looks non-standard in size.
Agreed....the only "non-standard" item is the larger size motor pocket for the CP inrunner. The OD is about 1.5mm smaller than the E-flight Delta V and the ID is 0.7mm smaller. The CS70 dimensions are in between those two. Should fit in most, if not all, 70mm EDF airframes. I think it's worth a try!

Just ordered it.....I'll post some data in a week, or so.
bamaguy is online now Find More Posts by bamaguy
Last edited by bamaguy; Sep 27, 2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:40 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,756 Posts
29.4 is pushing it! OD of motor housing is 30.3, no go. Changing the housing size to 29.8mm ID would require a CAD file change and a production of at least 75-100 housings, the motor would have to be worth it as a 2W30 is not "that" much more and is conventional size can.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:58 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
...But if you wanted to run it at 6S you probably really want their alloy housing anyway...
For some reason I don't trust the stators in that shroud, seems like they were made for a fan with a different pitch\load
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:10 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,754 Posts
Of course you wouldn't change a housing to suit ONE motor. When HET have a wide range that fit, and also other motors fit just as it is.
So it is up to the user to grind down the motor if they want to use an ERC housing... or else get something else. (housing... or even motor).

It wouldn't be surprising if their listed housing was originally designed to suit (if even that) a 5 or 6 blade fan. But I don't think a non-optimised stator set is a huge problem anyway. And if you don't get a choice.....

I have run CS10 rotors in about 4 housings... of course 3 were 5-6 blade housings (only the stock one is their own supposedly matching stator set). Same bench test results from all of them anyway. So to me, at least for static thrust, stator is negligible. But I can see it MIGHT affect efflux speed - which other factors in various aircraft can also alter, so I myself wouldn't be fussed over it.
Maybe someone going for a top speed record might need everything 'perfect' (of course).....
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:36 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,648 Posts
With all the posts on this thread could someone summarize or identify whether the stock CS fan and some HK or other low cost motor work acceptably on a 4S? Or do you have cough up $150 for modified fan and housing with a $125 motor to get it to work. Please advise.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:42 AM
Joined Nov 2006
11,754 Posts
Umm, do you know the power, or thrust, you need?
RCG Plus Member