HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:30 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,462 Posts
Oooo that sounds sexy And if its sorta rubberised it may very well work for fitting my brackets to the housings, the shear strength is high, looks to be up there with the dow corning MIL3145 silicon, I will have to investigate that...Thanks for taking the time to look it up!
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:41 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,474 Posts
Quicker than drilling and bolting on flanges....
Though I would till prefer that way for my own. (Landers or ExtremeRC)
But for needing to do a lot... I would take the quicker compromise!!
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:51 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,462 Posts
I use silicon for a reason, bolting brackets on does not offer any isolation, silicon works brilliantly and is easy to do, easy to align inside a model and set in exact position required. Its no compromise, drilling holes in T6 alloy and hard fixing it into a model has far more chance of fatigue over time.

Black Max is expensive for the bottle size, so dow corning 3145 will continue to grace my bench for now..
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:54 AM
Joined Nov 2006
10,474 Posts
A good point on getting mountings aligned just right for a model....
I just make the mounting surface at the dead central point. But.... that wasn't where the last use needed it! So it then needed 1mm spacers....

I just don't like the idea of the typical "famous last words"...
"It works fine!".... then one day a fan shoots forwards and a plane crashes..... LOL
Which also quite possibly might never happen.....
And certainly will never happen to mine. I like that bit of "100%" factor thrown in!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2012, 02:00 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,462 Posts
Shear strength is what is important, and most high strength silicons are more than enough for the application, my 127mm fan runs its brackets exactly the same way, there would be hundreds of my alloy fans out there now and many mounted with brackets siliconed on. Plus all the housings bar the 127 have thread ridges half way down, the brackets have milled slots which fit over these ridges so the bracket cannot move forward or backward while it is bonded to the side of the housing.

Doesnt seem to both this fan, just wait till I run it on 14s tomorrow...

Extreme RC's 127mm CNC Alloy Ramtec Fan with our new 5075 inrunner! (2 min 44 sec)
Old Aug 21, 2012, 02:04 AM
Joined Nov 2006
10,474 Posts
hehe, if 120mm can use it (or even 90mm), then 70mm pretty surely must be fine!
I would be more worried about 'one day'.... what happens to silicone over time? etc.
Maybe also totally fine... for "100 years".... I don't know, so I don't risk the unknown.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2012, 04:47 AM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,301 Posts
I have used Smith industries rubberized CA on a few Mega's, for holding end caps. One is a /3 that was adhered in 2002. Still holding. It's important not to use accelerator, as it makes the bond brittle.

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:58 AM
John
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
Shear strength is what is important, and most high strength silicons are more than enough for the application, my 127mm fan runs its brackets exactly the same way, there would be hundreds of my alloy fans out there now and many mounted with brackets siliconed on. Plus all the housings bar the 127 have thread ridges half way down, the brackets have milled slots which fit over these ridges so the bracket cannot move forward or backward while it is bonded to the side of the housing.

Doesnt seem to both this fan, just wait till I run it on 14s tomorrow...
Yeah I should have bought those brackets also, then this video wouldn't look worse than it is..

Freewing SU-35 Build Video #4 Testing Motors (5 min 7 sec)
jk671 is offline Find More Posts by jk671
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:33 AM
United States, OH, Cuyahoga Falls
Joined Apr 2006
224 Posts
Thanks to all for your replies. I am trying to power my Meteor from Dynam and I was planning to use a 4S with the CS-10 and Typhoon 2W20. Can I use this combination in this airframe? If not, what motor should I get for the CS-10 fan?

Thanks,

Le fou

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk0077 View Post
Its better to use a high torque, rather than high rpm motor for CS-10, on 3S you should be safe, but it wont make much thrust..
le fou is offline Find More Posts by le fou
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:52 AM
Joined Nov 2006
10,474 Posts
Well, the 2W20 4S CS10 sounds workable.....
Maybe 50Amps area or so.

A really good, and CHEAP combo is the Turnigy L2855-2300kv on 5S. 160kph in the Meteor.
$29 for motor and fan! Lasts long term too.
Or the 2100kv version for a bit less power, but a bit more efficiency. (I have not had that in the Meteor).
But at $29 you can't go wrong!! You get a fast Meteor that sounds awesome, and you have kept it all a very cheap total cost! About $160 in total (PNF plane and motor/fan combo).
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:28 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2011
104 Posts
still waiting for my 2 EDF's... when did were you shipping?
Super Matt is offline Find More Posts by Super Matt
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:01 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk671 View Post
Yeah I should have bought those brackets also, then this video wouldn't look worse than it is..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TY4tpmsE34&hd=1
JK671
good job your doing with your build, I like the model and parts you've selected it should be a very nice reliable edf SU35. if you have seen SUforever's video's of this jet you know how good it fly's. the edf selection is great those fans will be awesome in this jet and they sound as good as they will perform.

a couple of things I thought I would bring to your attention watching your build video's first is the "whats in the box video" at the end of the video you talk about getting the turnigy 5amp becs and decided 5amp bec may not be enough and so you bought 10amp castle bec right ok so here's the thing the castle 10amp bec is not really a 10amp bec its really a 7.5amp bec with burst to 10 amps thats why it says "10amp peak" right on it. additionally if you hook it up to a 6s battery, as it looks like you are going to do it is only a 5amp bec. you can only get the 7.5amp continuous rating by hooking it up to 2-4s battery. a good possible solution for you is to pick up a 2s LiFe or Lipo of around 800-1100mah battery to power the rec through your castle bec, this way you can get max performance from the bec at the 7.5amp rating and keep heat to a minimum on the bec, also if you can mount the bec in a location that allows some airflow to it this will also keep it alive and well.
the second thing is the soldering of the ec5 connectors, you seem to have all the tools and skills for proper soldering and I only noticed one issue which was the soldering iron you are using is a little under powered, once you start getting to these larger bullet connectors you really need a 60watt or higher iron. I would also recommend a chisel tip for the iron for much better heat transfer. the best soldering comes from fast heat once you put the iron on whatever you soldering you should not be waiting for solder to flow this should happen within 5sec's if not then the iron doesn't have enough power or your using the wrong tip or both. you want to be able to put the iron on and the solder flows almost immediately and then get the iron off the bullet. the longer the process takes the worse your connection will be.
hope that helps a little, your doing a great job with your build and I am looking forward to flight video..........good luck!!!

John
jcdfrd is online now Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Aug 21, 2012, 02:08 PM
John
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
JK671
good job your doing with your build, I like the model and parts you've selected it should be a very nice reliable edf SU35. if you have seen SUforever's video's of this jet you know how good it fly's. the edf selection is great those fans will be awesome in this jet and they sound as good as they will perform.

a couple of things I thought I would bring to your attention watching your build video's first is the "whats in the box video" at the end of the video you talk about getting the turnigy 5amp becs and decided 5amp bec may not be enough and so you bought 10amp castle bec right ok so here's the thing the castle 10amp bec is not really a 10amp bec its really a 7.5amp bec with burst to 10 amps thats why it says "10amp peak" right on it. additionally if you hook it up to a 6s battery, as it looks like you are going to do it is only a 5amp bec. you can only get the 7.5amp continuous rating by hooking it up to 2-4s battery. a good possible solution for you is to pick up a 2s LiFe or Lipo of around 800-1100mah battery to power the rec through your castle bec, this way you can get max performance from the bec at the 7.5amp rating and keep heat to a minimum on the bec, also if you can mount the bec in a location that allows some airflow to it this will also keep it alive and well.
the second thing is the soldering of the ec5 connectors, you seem to have all the tools and skills for proper soldering and I only noticed one issue which was the soldering iron you are using is a little under powered, once you start getting to these larger bullet connectors you really need a 60watt or higher iron. I would also recommend a chisel tip for the iron for much better heat transfer. the best soldering comes from fast heat once you put the iron on whatever you soldering you should not be waiting for solder to flow this should happen within 5sec's if not then the iron doesn't have enough power or your using the wrong tip or both. you want to be able to put the iron on and the solder flows almost immediately and then get the iron off the bullet. the longer the process takes the worse your connection will be.
hope that helps a little, your doing a great job with your build and I am looking forward to flight video..........good luck!!!

John
Thank you very much!
jk671 is offline Find More Posts by jk671
Old Aug 21, 2012, 03:54 PM
United States, OH, Cuyahoga Falls
Joined Apr 2006
224 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I just ordered the L2855-2300kv. What rating do you recommend on the battery, 40C or 30C?

Thanks,

Le fou

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Well, the 2W20 4S CS10 sounds workable.....
Maybe 50Amps area or so.

A really good, and CHEAP combo is the Turnigy L2855-2300kv on 5S. 160kph in the Meteor.
$29 for motor and fan! Lasts long term too.
Or the 2100kv version for a bit less power, but a bit more efficiency. (I have not had that in the Meteor).
But at $29 you can't go wrong!! You get a fast Meteor that sounds awesome, and you have kept it all a very cheap total cost! About $160 in total (PNF plane and motor/fan combo).
le fou is offline Find More Posts by le fou
Old Aug 21, 2012, 04:25 PM
Joined Aug 2004
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by le fou View Post
Thanks to all for your replies. I am trying to power my Meteor from Dynam and I was planning to use a 4S with the CS-10 and Typhoon 2W20. Can I use this combination in this airframe? If not, what motor should I get for the CS-10 fan?

Thanks,

Le fou
4S for 2W20 in CS-10 is way too much power to handle by the motor. If you are looking for <600W, ~1.1kg trust setup, 2W20 is good with 3S, otherwise you need to use other motors suggested earlier.

Some data on 2W20 with 3S setup:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3658

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4554
eliu is offline Find More Posts by eliu