261 Posts
Input anyone??

SETUP
Venom 70mm F-86
CS10 fan (rotor and shroud)
L2855 - 2800KV motor
Turnigy Plush 80A ESC
GForce 4S 3300 40C

ESC is staying plenty cool but batteries are coming out...not extremely hot, but quite warm after 3.5 minutes of flight.
Cause for concern?
Will a different C-rating on the battery have any affect? Or maybe just better throttle management?
washab is offline Find More Posts by washab
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2012, 12:18 PM
Fairborn, OH
Joined Nov 2009
544 Posts
Do the batteries have any airflow? While most folks focus on the ESC getting air (for good reason), I find it is also helpful to make sure that the batteries have some air moving across them.
alexandermh is offline Find More Posts by alexandermh
Old Aug 07, 2012, 01:02 PM
ROLL, PITCH, YAW
Joined Jan 2011
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandermh View Post
Do the batteries have any airflow? While most folks focus on the ESC getting air (for good reason), I find it is also helpful to make sure that the batteries have some air moving across them.
Thanks for the input...
No direct battery airflow but that was my thought as I looked over the plane yesterday. Think I'll punch some cheaters on each side of the battery tray. Won't be hard on this plane config.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 01:22 PM
Fairborn, OH
Joined Nov 2009
544 Posts
Make sure you also have some sort of "outflow" too so the air coming in has a place to go and is "drawn" out of the battery tray area. Makes a huge difference. Good luck.
alexandermh is offline Find More Posts by alexandermh
Old Aug 07, 2012, 01:26 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by washab View Post
SETUP
Venom 70mm F-86
L2855 - 2800KV motor
Turnigy Plush 80A ESC
GForce 4S 3300 40C

ESC is staying plenty cool but batteries are coming out...not extremely hot, but quite warm after 3.5 minutes of flight.
Cause for concern?
Will a different C-rating on the battery have any affect? Or maybe just better throttle management?
What's the IR of the batteries

How old are they?

Regards
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Aug 07, 2012, 01:39 PM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,366 Posts
Quote:
SETUP
Venom 70mm F-86
L2855 - 2800KV motor
Turnigy Plush 80A ESC
GForce 4S 3300 40C

Cause for concern?
Have exact setup running. It pulls around 60-65amps. Any battery less than nano-tech or other low internal resistance 45c battery will heat-up a lot when it starts running out. For me this is around the 3 min mark. If I land around the 3 min mark or don't use full throttle for more than 50% of the time, the battery is not depleted and it doesn't heat up - just warm. The more depleted they get, the hotter they are.

Sometime when I have fan and let the cells down to 3.3v under load the batteries get really hot (120F).
anlucas is offline Find More Posts by anlucas
Old Aug 07, 2012, 02:16 PM
ROLL, PITCH, YAW
Joined Jan 2011
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandermh View Post
Make sure you also have some sort of "outflow" too so the air coming in has a place to go and is "drawn" out of the battery tray area. Makes a huge difference. Good luck.
"Outflow", will do. Thanks.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 02:17 PM
ROLL, PITCH, YAW
Joined Jan 2011
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
What's the IR of the batteries

How old are they?

Regards
Not sure of the IR, I'll check when I get home.
Batteries are new.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 02:20 PM
ROLL, PITCH, YAW
Joined Jan 2011
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anlucas View Post
Have exact setup running. It pulls around 60-65amps. Any battery less than nano-tech or other low internal resistance 45c battery will heat-up a lot when it starts running out. For me this is around the 3 min mark. If I land around the 3 min mark or don't use full throttle for more than 50% of the time, the battery is not depleted and it doesn't heat up - just warm. The more depleted they get, the hotter they are.

Sometime when I have fan and let the cells down to 3.3v under load the batteries get really hot (120F).
Anlucas, maybe I'll give the nano-techs a try. And back off the throttle more
Thanks to all for the suggestions. Gotta love RCG...
Old Aug 07, 2012, 03:59 PM
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
1,333 Posts
Is everyone else finding suitable motors for this fan "out of stock" ? I have one set up and trying to duplicate but all sources seem to be out of stock, some just say backordered others say Mid September ---- I am beginning to hate the Chinese marketing model! Small size EDF life was great when you could go to the LHS and pick up an Astro motor, same day! This is progress?? No, I can't afford a StuMax!
killickb is offline Find More Posts by killickb
Old Aug 07, 2012, 05:42 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,346 Posts
Quote:
"Outflow", will do. Thanks.
Always be sure to have a minimum of 2x the area of the intake for the exaust. And you cannot beat NACA ducts, properly done.

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:04 PM
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Feb 2009
403 Posts
I just ran my 10 blade/Neu 1112/1Y 3500KV on 4S in my HABU (foam). On the bench without a lip, with batteries at storage charge 90 amps initial, RPM 40000. In the HABU on 4s Gens Ace 25C 4S fully charged initial 165 amps! at 1/2 throttle 100 amps (and it it holds the HABU straight up). At full throttle it sounds like a turbine with the turbine whistle. I have no idea how long the motor will last! We'll see.

I didnt have the Eagle Tree attached so I don't know the RPM but I would guess over 50000 @ 2200 watts. I ran it for about 2 minutes (up and down) and it is still working. Don't know the motor temp because it is too much trouble to remove the wing (besides all that matters is that it still works).

This motor is the one that I replaced the bent shaft on with McMaster & Carr 4mm shaft. It works... as you can tell from the data. Don't let anyone tell you that an inrunner shaft can't be replaced.
rfodor is online now Find More Posts by rfodor
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:25 PM
DONT PANIC! :)
United States, FL, Lehigh Acres
Joined Jan 2012
1,902 Posts
has anyone, or at least would anyone know if this unit will fit a sapac eurofighter?

also, is this sold in the U.S? if so, please point me out.

grazias!

(p.s extremeRC has got a bad*ss alloy 10 blade 64mm. just sayin)
out of stock is offline Find More Posts by out of stock
Old Aug 07, 2012, 11:09 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killickb View Post
Is everyone else finding suitable motors for this fan "out of stock" ? I have one set up and trying to duplicate but all sources seem to be out of stock, some just say backordered others say Mid September ---- I am beginning to hate the Chinese marketing model! Small size EDF life was great when you could go to the LHS and pick up an Astro motor, same day! This is progress?? No, I can't afford a StuMax!
What KV are you looking for?
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:24 AM
Joined Jun 2012
430 Posts
Here is my phase 3 F16 with CS10

This is a short kinda crappy vid from today, but gives you an idea of what a good balance job will do, the flight is all WOT till the battery drained zippy 2650 4s

the sound is good its verry close to what it sounds in person by the way it was filmed with an Iphone 4s, and it does pick up good sound from the airframe.

Phase 3 F16 CS10 4S (2 min 8 sec)
PAPE is offline Find More Posts by PAPE