HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2012, 02:31 PM
Joined Mar 2011
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirX View Post
No, the woosh will be less and the whine will be less as rpm goes down. In my tests I have found the fan is much quieter with 3s than 4s in all regimes.

I also think that the fan is not suited to less blades, it already shows a lot of loss at mild changes in outlet area with all the blades present.

Eric B.
By reducing the blade area you will have alower power input rwquired but still can have the RPM there. Now if this doesnt work and i cant get it ballanced then yes i i will leave it stock and run less rpm. If whoosh and whine are way less then still better then a high rpm whine!!
airraptor is offline Find More Posts by airraptor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:03 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,300 Posts
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Last edited by St. Martin; Jul 25, 2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:42 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airraptor View Post
By reducing the blade area you will have alower power input rwquired but still can have the RPM there. Now if this doesnt work and i cant get it ballanced then yes i i will leave it stock and run less rpm. If whoosh and whine are way less then still better then a high rpm whine!!
Yup I understand what your saying, changing aspect ratio of the blade will lighten the load of which this fan doesn't need the aspect ratio changed. It only requires the right kv and motor length to get proper performance. The aspect ratio is already a bit to high which hurts performance under high loading.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Last edited by AirX; Jul 18, 2012 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Removed figures till test results can be collected.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:04 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirX View Post
Yup I understand what your saying, changing aspect ratio of the blade will lighten the load of which this fan doesn't need the aspect ratio changed. It only requires the right kv and motor length to get proper performance. The aspect ratio is already a bit to high which hurts performance under high loading as when the outlet tube area is reduced less than ~90percent FSA.

Eric B.
Why is this?

Is there some type of cavitation or something that happens at the blades that cause them to lose thrust with less than 90% FSA?

Would a change of the stator pitch help in any of this?

Regards
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:29 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,406 Posts
Well something is bothering them under high backpressure. They don't work as well in the same plane you have had a 5 or 6 blade in. Unless it had a nice unrestricted exhaust path to start with.

I have always wondered about this "FSA %" thing (have outlet X % of FSA).... because a different blade area, blade count, blade pitch and blade 'twist' etc must have the potential alter everything a lot, from fan to fan.
5 and 6 blade cheapies seem a roughly same blade design, but Wemo, or 3 or 4 blade.... then CS10 blade.. some other 8 blades.... are covering a very large portion of the fan 'tube', so they must have different effects.
eg 5 and 6 blade typically cover something like 40% of the open area. The CS10 covers 90% or more by the looks.
So the optimal - or even needed - opening FSA % could vary by a LOT from fan type to fan type. Not just 95%... 90%... 85%.... but matter a lot, and be far more critical to some than others too.

There will be no hard and fast rule to apply. Just what has been tested, and shown in numbers, for a given plane and fan etc, to work. Also ALL of the setup matters for that result to apply. Fan, RPM used etc.

So it would seem that having blades in closer proximity to each other muct make for more interactions of airflow, turbulence, between them. And if a fan has more of that fan area 'covered' (by blades), like the CS10, then it has more of a 'solid wall' of air, and thus probably a dislike for backpressure - as it has 'nowhere to go'... no 'thinner' air to compress into, like a lower area blade total fan could cope with.
CS10... 90% static area coverage (a guess).... can't deal with backpressure due to that higher end % number.... must have 90% FSA outlet - or something at least much closer to its static area % coverage, maybe 88% etc. Just 1% variation being quite important to it.
5 blade..... 45% static area coverage (a guess again)..... backpressure still matters, but far less than a CS10..... optimal at 80% FAS (made up number for this fan)..... but can still run fine at 75% to 95% anyway. 5% variation doesn't bother it. It would be far more lenient to a variation and 'absorb' tolerance far easier for little output change.

That all means that a CS10, for any given airframe and motor/RPM setup, would be far more important to have its exhaust path (and propably inlet side too really) quite finely tuned to suit that exact setup you have.
Even the exact same airframe, with one person using a different motor and thus RPM capability, could quite notably alter. Whichever 'fluked' the better tuned result could have big gains over the 'poorer' suited setup.
A thrust number probably doesn't tell you this exactly - but in an end result it could be a measure of use. It is probably more to do with CFM, as the fan needs to be able to get out the CFM for the further coming flow to be unhindered always.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PeterVRC; Jul 18, 2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:40 PM
" EMBRACE THE DARK SIDE '
Joined Nov 2011
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
Yeah the video is bad, phone cams seem to screw up the audio a lot. Its actually so quiet you dont hear it in the air, no roar, nothing, its a bit freaky actually, I didnt like it at first because it had no intake or exhaust roar but Rudes loves it. Wait till I get some video on my new cam, so far the sound has been really honest with it. Our weather has been terrible lately, this weekend was another blow out, and I got the flu anyway so barely able to type right now
AGREE WITH ALL OF THE ABOVE! love that jet and yes actually it's freakishly dead silent.the vid's audio is no way near what it actually sounds outhere.i like the 'silent but deadly' side of it
rudeboy579 is offline Find More Posts by rudeboy579
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:55 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
Why is this?

Is there some type of cavitation or something that happens at the blades that cause them to lose thrust with less than 90% FSA?

Would a change of the stator pitch help in any of this?

Regards
erh7771,

I thought I had soemthing that would support my thoughts on this but after I looked back at the posts on the outlet sizes/thrust all I could find were posts that were all over the map from 50% to no outlet on the fan with some data. I will test my own fans on a restrictor setup that Klaus Schornhorst posted several years back and will report back when I get it done.

Cheers,
Eric B.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:42 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,455 Posts
Eric, I modified the blades of the Haoye 90mm rotor years ago, cut them down around 20% or so and tried a few different versions, made very little difference to the amp draw, just lost thrust.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Jul 18, 2012, 07:49 PM
Joined Mar 2011
72 Posts
EXT did you cut the overall length of the blades or the cord?

Also guys i am not tryingto get max power out of these fans, if wanted to do that i would just order a setup from EXT. As i stated earlier these will go in some FREE GWS 262's I have. looking for low power set up with somewhat of a whoosh sound. now if there was a 64mm version it would be simple.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:36 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,517 Posts
Quote:
EXT did you cut the overall length of the blades or the cord?

Also guys i am not tryingto get max power out of these fans, if wanted to do that i would just order a setup from EXT. As i stated earlier these will go in some FREE GWS 262's I have. looking for low power set up with somewhat of a whoosh sound. now if there was a 64mm version it would be simple.
It's all good actually, it's just a hobby.

Eric B.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:40 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
Eric, I modified the blades of the Haoye 90mm rotor years ago, cut them down around 20% or so and tried a few different versions, made very little difference to the amp draw, just lost thrust.
Hi Mark,

I think I remember a post on that a few years back. What I remember is the rotor was machined on the back side changing the chord and the pitch?
I think what we see is the reason why Stuart hasn't built a 70mm version of his 100/90/80 series.

Cheers,
Eric B.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:08 PM
Joined Mar 2011
72 Posts
Extreme do you sell the fan with stock housing and have extra fan rotors? Also i havent went thru all 300 pages again but is the HK fan the same? like i said looking for a low power set up. I think the stock GWS fans put out around 20 ounces max so around there or more would be good. i know this fan would put out way more than that but might sound good on something like this.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:58 PM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,189 Posts
Quote:
... but is the HK fan the same? ..
The HK 10 blade fan is the ChangeSun 70mm 10 Blade fan.
anlucas is online now Find More Posts by anlucas
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:22 PM
ROLL, PITCH, YAW
Joined Jan 2011
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anlucas View Post
The HK 10 blade fan is the ChangeSun 70mm 10 Blade fan.
Is the Hk 12 blade and CS12 90mm the same as well?
washab is offline Find More Posts by washab
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:30 PM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by washab View Post
Is the Hk 12 blade and CS12 90mm the same as well?
Yes!
anlucas is online now Find More Posts by anlucas