SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:52 PM
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2009
5,488 Posts
I heard Jim's zephyr and was VERY surprised how nice it sounded for a stock hobby king combo (balanced, whooshy and smooth), closest sound I've heard to a CS10
jbc is offline Find More Posts by jbc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:16 PM
speeddemon
United States, TX, Whitesboro
Joined Jun 2011
138 Posts
What battery connector does the Turnigy Brushless ESC 85A w/ 5A SBEC have?
tofast4u is offline Find More Posts by tofast4u
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:20 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,803 Posts
Probably none.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:34 AM
Joined Mar 2011
72 Posts
has anyone thinned the blades on this fan not in thickness but in cord tapering to the tips to have the same sound but in lower power applications?
airraptor is offline Find More Posts by airraptor
Old Jul 18, 2012, 01:28 AM
Joined Nov 2006
11,803 Posts
Phew, that blade 'adjusting' would be a tedious task to do!! And quite hard to get them all accurate.
Some form of CNC machine? LOL.

I have to think harder about it, but a quick think I would suspect you may as well leave them as they are and just run a different lower power setup on it anyway.....??

Hmmm... less total area.... less load....prob higher RPM.... probably would be some technical load difference.....
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2012, 01:31 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airraptor View Post
has anyone thinned the blades on this fan not in thickness but in cord tapering to the tips to have the same sound but in lower power applications?
I think I may have an answer for you.

I 've got a couple of rotors with one broken blade. I will break another one(opposite) to make them 8 blades. That should give lower power....

I hope to do it over the next 2-3 days.
anlucas is online now Find More Posts by anlucas
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:12 AM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,491 Posts
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Last edited by St. Martin; Jul 25, 2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:18 AM
Joined Nov 2006
11,803 Posts
3 from 5... doesn't sound like it would come out very balanced. Dynamically, or aerodynamically. ??? ( a 4 from a 6 maybe?)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:22 AM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,491 Posts
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Last edited by St. Martin; Jul 25, 2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:50 AM
Joined Nov 2006
11,803 Posts
hehe. The rest was fine.

Take two off the CS10.... 8 blades, and might have a good, or bad, side-effect off the "gap" to the output sound.
Even taking off 4 and going to 6 could have its own unique sound compared to 'normal' 6's.
But for lower blade count you either need more RPM to get the same thrust, or just use it for a lower power output (weaker drive system). And I guess there is a bit of upside leeway to RPM in most typical users cases.

I guess there is a chance that doing this idea could give a still nice sound, for that lower torque input needed.
I am not breaking any of my CS10 blades off to find out though!! LOL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:24 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
I am not breaking any of my CS10 blades off to find out though!! LOL
Mine are broken by accident. I actually threw them in the bin but retrieved them a few days later after an overnight bright idea on what to do with my high kv motors. Some motors are useless with the 10blade because they draw too high a current. With 2 less blades though or 20% less load - who knows.

If it doesn't workout then fine. But if the sound is not different then I may have found a way to reuse stuff....

That's who gave me the idea.... Knife!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3407
anlucas is online now Find More Posts by anlucas
Last edited by anlucas; Jul 18, 2012 at 04:35 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:19 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anlucas View Post
Mine are broken by accident. I actually threw them in the bin but retrieved them a few days later after an overnight bright idea on what to do with my high kv motors. Some motors are useless with the 10blade because they draw too high a current. With 2 less blades though or 20% less load - who knows.

If it doesn't workout then fine. But if the sound is not different then I may have found a way to reuse stuff....

That's who gave me the idea.... Knife!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3407
When I ran the 90mm-12 as a 10blade I didn't notice much diff in sound, if any. Unfortunately with the 10 blade you don't have as many options for blade count as with the 12 blade but 8 should work well and sound similar. Maybe you'll be able to hear it in the air. The 70mm-10 is almost silent in some jets.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:53 AM
Joined Mar 2011
72 Posts
well i was looking to keep all ten blades. I was given two GWS me 262's (dont laugh) lol. i was thinking of using these fans on a low power set up. this way i would have that high edf whine but more of a whoosh. now a lower power will have less rpm which means the whoos will go away and more of the whine will be back. so to get the rpm up with a low power set up is thinner cord wise blades. i think it will be easier then you think. i just need to order some fans and extra rotors to mess with.
airraptor is offline Find More Posts by airraptor
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:54 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airraptor View Post
well i was looking to keep all ten blades. I was given two GWS me 262's (dont laugh) lol. i was thinking of using these fans on a low power set up. this way i would have that high edf whine but more of a whoosh. now a lower power will have less rpm which means the whoos will go away and more of the whine will be back. so to get the rpm up with a low power set up is thinner cord wise blades. i think it will be easier then you think. i just need to order some fans and extra rotors to mess with.
No, the woosh will be less and the whine will be less as rpm goes down. In my tests I have found the fan is much quieter with 3s than 4s in all regimes.

I also think that the fan is not suited to less blades, it already shows a lot of loss at mild changes in outlet area with all the blades present.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:19 PM
scunna
United Kingdom, England, South Shields
Joined May 2007
673 Posts
Have you checked this out. Been around for a while, exellent for bancing fans.

bobs workshop EDF fan balancer (0 min 54 sec)
scunna is online now Find More Posts by scunna