HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:10 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,756 Posts
Looks like its had a hard life! Here is a starmax F15 with Extreme Alloy CS10 fan on 4s, 850w. I am going to get some HD video of it next weekend as the phone cam vid sounds quite different to real life.

Rudys f-15 at PP (2 min 39 sec)
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:20 PM
How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
Looks like its had a hard life! Here is a starmax F15 with Extreme Alloy CS10 fan on 4s, 850w. I am going to get some HD video of it next weekend as the phone cam vid sounds quite different to real life.

http://youtu.be/Obldo_xPQDg
That's choice bro!!
Goody63 is offline Find More Posts by Goody63
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:30 AM
Joined Jun 2012
442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post

http://youtu.be/Obldo_xPQDg
That sounds nothing like your phase3 F16 with the alloy cs10 fan
PAPE is offline Find More Posts by PAPE
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:35 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,756 Posts
Yeah the video is bad, phone cams seem to screw up the audio a lot. Its actually so quiet you dont hear it in the air, no roar, nothing, its a bit freaky actually, I didnt like it at first because it had no intake or exhaust roar but Rudes loves it. Wait till I get some video on my new cam, so far the sound has been really honest with it. Our weather has been terrible lately, this weekend was another blow out, and I got the flu anyway so barely able to type right now
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:25 AM
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2009
5,488 Posts
I've also noticed most videos don't do this fan justice, they seem to pickup the motor whine when in actual fact it's barely noticeable at the field
jbc is offline Find More Posts by jbc
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:34 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbc View Post
I've also noticed most videos don't do this fan justice, they seem to pickup the motor whine when in actual fact it's barely noticeable at the field
True! Most camcorders are are incensitive to the low to midrange frequencies.
anlucas is online now Find More Posts by anlucas
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:57 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,140 Posts
HK Zephyr - 5-blader w/ good sound?

a bit off-topic (but prominent Anlucas left the remark at HK that the new Zephyr kit should also come w/out the fan and save another 15$ :-)
is it the camcorders, or why do the Zephyrs sound so good, unlike "normal" 5-bladers?
not like a CS70, but halfway there, and no whine, it seems to me

Here's an example, if you don't already know it

Durafly Zephyr V-70 High Performance 70mm EDF V-Tail Glider 1533mm (PNF) V70 (5 min 36 sec)

cheers
Clemens
mopetista is online now Find More Posts by mopetista
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:13 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopetista View Post
a bit off-topic (but prominent Anlucas left the remark at HK that the new Zephyr kit should also come w/out the fan and save another 15$ :-)
is it the camcorders, or why do the Zephyrs sound so good, unlike "normal" 5-bladers?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsFwJr-v5wc

cheers
Clemens
Reminds me of the JF90 and a glider that retracted the JF90 during flight...the wings cutting through air make a great sound

Quote:
or why do the Zephyrs sound so good, unlike "normal" 5-bladers?
An extremely well balanced wemo or even a SAPAC (which this rotor is close to) will sound great in a plane with a slight more tip whine than CS fan...

The caveats are very well balanced, I mean no harmonics at any RPM....I think TAM and some of the other vendors can get those blades down to turbine level vibrations (or harmonics) which to our human ears is none..

I have one of those rotors balanced in my GWS A-4 and it REALLY sounds nice....great white noise through the intakes...I tried a CS fan but it had a thrust tube and made the sound more quiet.

If you luck up and get one of those rotors really balanced it sounds good but if not you amplify the rotors tip whine a lot....with CS fan tip whine is already fairly low and unbalanced it's more forgiving on the sound
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by erh7771; Jul 16, 2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 01:05 PM
Graham Dyer
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Jul 2003
702 Posts
A lot of the discussions in this thread are about huge power levels, however I'm looking for a recommended motor (& Kv) for around 250W (22A) on 3S? It doesn't sound like much but it's for a twin edf airliner that flies happily on about 300W total (currently GWS EDF 64's). I also don't want to add weight if I can.

So any recommendations?
pardus is online now Find More Posts by pardus
Old Jul 16, 2012, 01:23 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pardus View Post
A lot of the discussions in this thread are about huge power levels, however I'm looking for a recommended motor (& Kv) for around 250W (22A) on 3S? It doesn't sound like much but it's for a twin edf airliner that flies happily on about 300W total (currently GWS EDF 64's). I also don't want to add weight if I can.

So any recommendations?
The L2855-2300 would just about do the trick for a 300watt system. Maybe Anlucas can verify that as I dont have any 3s batts lying about, and on 4s its a little over 600 watts.

Eric B.
AirX is online now Find More Posts by AirX
Last edited by AirX; Jul 16, 2012 at 01:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jul 16, 2012, 02:31 PM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,559 Posts
Quote:

cheers
Clemens

Yeah, it sounds good. I suspect this edf is the same as the vampire's.

The good sound though is a combination of white noise from the nacelle and rotor whine. The CS10 fan should sound awsome in this.

I was tempted if I am going to run the edf all the time, then might as well do it in an F-18 airframe....

If I want a sloper, the Dynamic S might be a better bet.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 02:33 PM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirX View Post
The L2855-2300 would just about do the trick for a 300watt system. Maybe Anlucas can verify that as I dont have any 3s batts lying about, and on 4s its a little over 600 watts.

Eric B.
Give me 10mins...
Old Jul 16, 2012, 02:48 PM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pardus View Post

So any recommendations?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirX View Post

Eric B.
I tested in-plane the Turnigy L2855-2300kv using a 3S 2200 45c nano I had around.

One minute into the test the battery voltage kept at 11.3V.

Sustained WOT - 22Amps and 250Watts. The thrust settled to around 700gr.

Peak numbers are 284Watts at 24.2Amps and 100gr more thrust.

Maybe a twin on these could give decent scale performance.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:31 PM
Graham Dyer
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Jul 2003
702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anlucas View Post
I tested in-plane the Turnigy L2855-2300kv using a 3S 2200 45c nano I had around.

One minute into the test the battery voltage kept at 11.3V.

Sustained WOT - 22Amps and 250Watts. The thrust settled to around 700gr.

Peak numbers are 284Watts at 24.2Amps and 100gr more thrust.

Maybe a twin on these could give decent scale performance.
Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know, much appreciated!
pardus is online now Find More Posts by pardus
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:06 PM
Joined Aug 2011
820 Posts
Quote:

cheers
Clemens
Because the Zephyr actually comes with a 6 blade rotor.
Typical for HK to not even get the specs listed correctly.
jim350 is offline Find More Posts by jim350