HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:51 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,874 Posts
I have to check all mine, they pretty well all are 6 options. But I did find one with only 4 options... which might have been one of the 190A ones. And I think I hunted down to find out why it only had 4, and what they were.... but I forget what ever happened about that one now!
From memory I remember something about 4stripes, I think, mentioning how the 190A was good for 8S really and then one I had, or got after, was the one with ony 4 options. From memory..... LOL.
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:54 AM
Joined Nov 2006
10,874 Posts
This is the 4 option SS series manual I had found.....
It describes that the 6 option version exists, at the end.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:56 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,318 Posts
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Last edited by St. Martin; Jul 25, 2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 05:52 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
wondering if I pick up tams spinner,shaft,setup does will the HK rotor need much balancing or is it run true with tams kit parts. Thanks Dave
unclecrash is offline Find More Posts by unclecrash
Old Jul 11, 2012, 06:24 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,848 Posts
dave
it will run truer but of the 50 or so 70/10 rotors I've balanced not one was to exceptable levels out of the package this is because they are not balanced from the factory, they come out of the mold and go into the package. I will say though they are very uniform in that they always need around the same amount of weight and in the same spot from rotor to rotor, sometimes I get one that is heavy in the front plane or rear plane really bad these ones are harder to balance properly. one way to tell if you have one of these or just have a front to back out of balance is to use your static magnetic balancer that most people use and when you spin it on their it will come to a stop and then by itself start running backwards for a few revolutions this is an indication that your front to back balance is off. these are practically impossible to get right at home using a static balancer. one option is to send your rotor to Tam and pay him to dynamically two plane balance it, the service is 25 bucks and is worth it especially if you already have the precision adapter, spinner washer and spinner.
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Jul 11, 2012, 06:32 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
I have not bought anything from Tam yet,I do have fan and a couple motors coming soon. I will check the balance and see how it is on my magnetic balancer before I decide what to do. Im just looking to put it in a old het f18
unclecrash is offline Find More Posts by unclecrash
Old Jul 11, 2012, 06:50 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,527 Posts
Right so now all the readers need to 2 plane balance their rotors or their fans wont be any good

Wemotec have been doing it for years, HET too, but 9 times out of 10 you drop their rotors onto a 3.17mm adapter or shaft and still need to rotate them in order to cancel out mechanical resonances from the parts interaction. Same with their spinners, you cannot just drop them on as you will 9 out of 10 get a mechanical resonance around 1/4 throttle, rotate the spinner and usually you can cancel out the resonances, when you cannot get them all out a simple dynamic balancing of the spinner on the fan will finish it off.

But hey, drop it onto a 5mm shaft and its amazing! Little to no adjustment needed because the shaft is so huge & inert for this size of fan. Even 4mm shafts are a huge improvement over 3.17, hopefully more motor manufacturers will move to 4-5mm shafts.

The end user can easily balance any rotor statically and get the fan to run perfectly smooth, they just need a precision ground shaft for their magnetic balancer, and a precision machined hub to fit each rotor type. Engineering plastic with a uniform density is perfect for machining up hubs as its light and accurate. Of course most people cannot source or make these parts but that doesnt mean its not possible for them to do it. Once they have the rotor running smoothly its not hard to finish off the spinner with tape weight internally.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Jul 11, 2012, 06:56 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,848 Posts
Quote:
Right so now all the readers need to 2 plane balance their rotors or their fans wont be any good
really Mark is that what I said??........you are unbelievable
Old Jul 11, 2012, 07:49 PM
Joined Nov 2006
10,874 Posts
It was a bit of an exaggeration of the original text.....
It wasn't implied that it was required to have them 2-plane balanced to be acceptable... it sounded more like a suggestion (advice at most) of something you might want to do (and jcdfrd/Tam do) in a quest for 'perfection'.

That is getting into pretty fine detail.... too much for me to ever bother doing!!
And I couldn't technically refute its merit, but I would lean on Mark's side of the fence and think it is 'swamped' by other aspects of the situation that would make it hard to tell a difference and to matter.
But jcdfrd and Tam suggesting they can measure it.... so I guess it is a fact. It is more a matter of how important a factor/fact it really is to most other users. Seemingly zero real-world importance to Mark (LOL), and to me also really. That is just getting too fine and finnicky for me to apply effort to pursue, versus my guesstimated minor benefit it would give.

Like some other posters I have seen mention, I am getting great results even from stock fans - with just minor clock method adjusting. No static balancing.... and no reverberations.... sound great... input/output ratios as good as any others I see posted about....
But if you wanted perfection.......... And especially when that is getting more important at the very high end of power outputs, it likely would be starting to be something more than 'zero' use.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2012, 08:33 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,848 Posts
yes Peter we can measure it and it does make a difference, you can see for yourself if your interested....get tams setup and run it against your own setup.....you will feel and hear the diff for yourself.....or not, its no skin off my nose I only offer my own experience
Tamjets Dynamic Rotor video (5 min 26 sec)
Old Jul 11, 2012, 08:56 PM
Joined Nov 2006
10,874 Posts
That is awesome! WOW.
Now I will have to go and crawl in a corner with my "Probably 0.15" balanced rotors! LOL
Even though at my level they are probably totally fine anyway.

But that is impressive testing and work level by Tam! Certainly looks like it is worth the cost - it is just a matter of whether a user can justify/want/need that cost. More so when International postage and time also add into it all.

I hate it when you just 'need' to do something, to find out how much it matters. LOL.
Versus "Seems ok, or fine" as it is.... and you might just find out it is not quite as "ok, or fine" as you thought.

So that setup pretty well shows the 2-planes are measurable at least. And then suggest that will come into play to some degree - and even more so as you aim to get higher output loads.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:32 AM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
7,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
dave
it will run truer but of the 50 or so 70/10 rotors I've balanced not one was to exceptable levels out of the package this is because they are not balanced from the factory, they come out of the mold and go into the package. I will say though they are very uniform in that they always need around the same amount of weight and in the same spot from rotor to rotor, sometimes I get one that is heavy in the front plane or rear plane really bad these ones are harder to balance properly. one way to tell if you have one of these or just have a front to back out of balance is to use your static magnetic balancer that most people use and when you spin it on their it will come to a stop and then by itself start running backwards for a few revolutions this is an indication that your front to back balance is off. these are practically impossible to get right at home using a static balancer. one option is to send your rotor to Tam and pay him to dynamically two plane balance it, the service is 25 bucks and is worth it especially if you already have the precision adapter, spinner washer and spinner.

And all this time, I thought it was my magnetic balancer. What you've explained is exactly what is happening to mine. I learned something new. Thanks!
SkylineFlyer is offline Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Old Jul 12, 2012, 02:56 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,049 Posts
Yes, that`s cool to know, about the rotor reversing rotation on it`s own. I`ve seen that many times and had no clue what it was happening. Great info, thanks.

Also the video is very interesting too. I have a feeling that I will be sending Tam some rotors to balance for me pretty soon. That`s very impressive.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2012, 07:46 PM
NEW JERSEY U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2010
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer View Post
And all this time, I thought it was my magnetic balancer. What you've explained is exactly what is happening to mine. I learned something new. Thanks!
I had the same problem when trying to balance my rotors. I was sure there was something wrong with my balancer. I sent two of my rotors to Tam and the service is well worth the money.
SKYRYDER1000 is offline Find More Posts by SKYRYDER1000
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:19 PM
crashing build's character.
United States, AL, Dora
Joined Mar 2008
526 Posts
has any body run this set up before i have a 28-58-1 arc motor with the c.s fan on 5s? they say it can handle little over 80 amps.
onefastxp is offline Find More Posts by onefastxp