Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:43 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
I am only pointing out differences. you balance with .2 grams of tape and we are balancing with .01grams of weight in the final adjustments
I never said I balance with 0.2 grams of tape, I said you COULD end up with 0.2 grams of tape inside your spinner and that it is not a lot of weight. Balancing a rotor gets down to micrograms yes, mine too, but it doesnt account for motor imbalance, bearing tolerances, or any other tolerances in the assembly.
Working with 5mm shafts is easy, dead easy compared to 3.17mm shafts.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:50 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
I have played with just one of these fans so far and have been very pleased with mine. Mine is powered with a Turnigy 3126 outrunner w/5mm shaft. I simply did a static balance on a magnetic balancer, put the fan together and it runs very smoothly. I'm even using the stock spinner without problems and have run it up well over 3kw,with 6.5lbs of thrust and 260 mph efflux speed. Total cost of fan and motor, about $45 inc some wire to rewind the motor.

Fancy is fine, but it can be done much cheaper if you have more time than money.
Lee
be carefull running them over 46k we have blown up three in the last couple weeks pushing them. how old is the rotor that you have, I'm wondering if the batch of rotors that are blowing up are different/more brittle because Nick and I had one from months ago that was running every weekend at 46k and never blew up and now their popping like popcorn.
what rpm are seeing to get those numbers and how much runtime on it, I'm assuming this is on the bench right
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:52 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
I never said I balance with 0.2 grams of tape, I said you COULD end up with 0.2 grams of tape inside your spinner and that it is not a lot of weight. Balancing a rotor gets down to micrograms yes, mine too, but it doesnt account for motor imbalance, bearing tolerances, or any other tolerances in the assembly.
Working with 5mm shafts is easy, dead easy compared to 3.17mm shafts.
agreed
Old Jul 03, 2012, 07:04 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,942 Posts
Let's see, i bought these two fans about 9 months ago, so yeah they are an earlier batch I'll bet. This is on the bench and I'm in the 45k range. I'll have to go back and check to be sure. Also only a few minutes of run time so far. I saw that Tam was blowing them so I plan to stay under his suggested rpm.
Knife Liddle is offline Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2012, 07:11 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,847 Posts
Quote:
Let's see, i bought these two fans about 9 months ago, so yeah they are an earlier batch I'll bet. This is on the bench and I'm in the 45k range. I'll have to go back and check to be sure. Also only a few minutes of run time so far. I saw that Tam was blowing them so I plan to stay under his suggested rpm.
yep the ones that have blown up are all from our most recent batch....hmmmm!
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:22 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,644 Posts
Wouldn't they blow up in-plane, if you took then to their near danger levels on a bench and used that as a limit for the setup?
Because in-plane, say in a dive, it will get to rev out that bit (lot?) more. Though I guess with less load at that time too.
So I would THINK that setting up a system to go near maximum safe levels on a bench could still be exceeded in flight.

And with the tolerances of such a system being, for a start, unknown really (eg CS claim 45k.... but some will fail higher or lower, by some fair degree I expect).... you would need something like 3k RPM safety margin (possibly more) if you wanted to cover all possible cases. Probably 10% really - to be truly enough safety margin.

Or.... you can choose to not have much leeway at all if you want! LOL
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:33 PM
RA-TA-MA-HAT-TA
Melbourne, Australia.
Joined Feb 2010
3,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskva View Post
All we ever hear from you is Tam this and Tam that! how is the smell down there ?
hahaah soo true
munce31 is offline Find More Posts by munce31
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:26 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,847 Posts
Quote:
I have played with just one of these fans so far and have been very pleased with mine. Mine is powered with a Turnigy 3126 outrunner w/5mm shaft. I simply did a static balance on a magnetic balancer, put the fan together and it runs very smoothly. I'm even using the stock spinner without problems and have run it up well over 3kw,with 6.5lbs of thrust and 260 mph efflux speed. Total cost of fan and motor, about $45 inc some wire to rewind the motor.

Fancy is fine, but it can be done much cheaper if you have more time than money.
yes agreed but time is money
here's a good solution for guys that have motors and fans already, buy tams precision shaft adapter 4 or 5mm, spinner washer and alloy spinner all as a set for 35 bucks, send in your rotor to be dynamically balanced for 25 bucks and whala install it in your favorite housing and motor and you will have magic. dont believe me? try it and see
yes their are guys like lee that can balance fans in there sleep and do a pretty good job of it but for most of us this can be a tedious frustrating chore with not very good end results. another point I will make.......fan balance is relative, until you've felt a really smooth running fan its very difficult to know whats exceptable and what is not. I balanced my own fans with the 4 run method the cell phone method, clock method and I though I was pretty good at it and then I met tam and started hanging out and flying with him. thats when I learned that my balance wasnt very good at all. I took my best balanced wemo rotor to his shop to see how good my home balance job was and i was shocked to see a 2 to 3 times acceptable level of vibration, so it is very simple for me, I pay Tam to balance my rotors as no amount of time trying to do it myself will get anywhere close to what I can get on his balancer in a short amount of time. you guys can laugh at me all you want because I am friends with Tam but I am the one laughing everytime I take off and hear the sweet sound of smooth
Old Jul 04, 2012, 01:54 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
4,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by munce31 View Post
hahaah soo true
Some guys just know where quality products are in the EDF RC Hobby world and spend the extra cash .. Some guys are too cheap and have nothing better to do then to write arrogant, stupid, useless statements like this trying to de-rail some good sound advise . John is smelling the quality of Tams products and passing on the word..that's all..Those of us who have used Tam's products know what John talks about .It pretty simple..TamJets produces great stuff with top of the line machinery to properly balance his Fans and he backs up whatever he sells with great customer service. Once you have ran A Tam Jet Fan ....you know what John is ranting about...there's no substitute..
ZACATTACK is offline Find More Posts by ZACATTACK
Old Jul 04, 2012, 02:21 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,194 Posts
Is a 2W20 on 4S too much for this thing?
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jul 04, 2012, 03:07 AM
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,572 Posts
OK, now we all know that Tam is the EDF jet fan god. So can we just drop all this he's better that you crap. Let people decide for themselves.
The suppliers (Tam, Mark etc) tell you what they can do/supply and they surely don't need a little gang to stand up for them. sure tell us all how good your fan is and where you got it etc but cut the crap out.
This probably does not convey very well what I am trying to say but I get to a stage where I cannot be bothered trying to explain it without writing a 1000 words.
I probably should not even bothered to write even this.............
clive45 is online now Find More Posts by clive45
Old Jul 04, 2012, 03:35 AM
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2009
5,488 Posts
Well Clive I think for atleast today our American mates won't really care as they'll be to busy celebrating, drinking etc..... HAPPY 4th of July to you guys!

jbc is offline Find More Posts by jbc
Old Jul 04, 2012, 04:28 AM
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,572 Posts
Damn, I knew I was wasting my time......................
clive45 is online now Find More Posts by clive45
Old Jul 04, 2012, 05:21 AM
United States, FL, Orange Park
Joined Jul 2010
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Is a 2W20 on 4S too much for this thing?
I tried that one and the 2W25, the 2W20 does seem "Loaded Up" , the 2W25 works much better in my testing, it's more effortless spooling and runs cooler. Both used on 4s 40c 3000mah lipo.
3rd-dem is online now Find More Posts by 3rd-dem
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2012, 05:28 AM
RA-TA-MA-HAT-TA
Melbourne, Australia.
Joined Feb 2010
3,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZACATTACK View Post
Some guys just know where quality products are in the EDF RC Hobby world and spend the extra cash .. Some guys are too cheap and have nothing better to do then to write arrogant, stupid, useless statements like this trying to de-rail some good sound advise . John is smelling the quality of Tams products and passing on the word..that's all..Those of us who have used Tam's products know what John talks about .It pretty simple..TamJets produces great stuff with top of the line machinery to properly balance his Fans and he backs up whatever he sells with great customer service. Once you have ran A Tam Jet Fan ....you know what John is ranting about...there's no substitute..
Says it all: Tam is the be all end all.

Seriously though, we know that TamJets, ExtremeRC, and among others that participate in this industry pride themselves on the quality of their wares (I know others will disagree).

But when one mention anothers name in almost every second post one has to wonder whether they're simply making a recommendation or have another agenda.
munce31 is offline Find More Posts by munce31