HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:50 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,910 Posts
The smaller blades of a CS10 would be a lot more susceptible (and have) 'micro vibrations' flexing them, compared to the quite huge and hefty Wemo type. So even though the 10 blade's blade is lighter, and probably ends up the same "overall strength per blade per G" (hard to explain that aspect) that flex aspect would be the real killer helping the rotor explode sooner.

Also look at the moulding quality - or lack of - for the 10 blade. They need notable cleaning up of the moulding edges, or else there will be even much worse turbulence per blade causing flex. So for their very high end use you would want to be making a very clean, "perfect", blade. And then, you can't even balance them individually so unlikley to ever get true 'balance perfection' to remove all the 'non perfect blade created flex' possible.
But Changesun don't care.... why make 100% effort when you can do it quick and cheap and still does a great job for the majority of their market? And getting that last end of perfection, versus what they have done, would take multiple times the effort.... not just another 30% or whatever on top of what they do now, but 300% more effort or whatever.

Meanwhile, it is a far simpler job for the Wemo type rotor design.... thus they are very likely to be a way better rotor to get their highest possible RPM from. It is just a far far simpler cleaner design. Even supplied at a higher level of manufacture and finish too.
But I bet if Wemo made the efforts for a high blade count fan then they would do it 'properly' too. At $100 per fan.... not $15. And they probably have thought about it... and written it off as a waste of time I expect. (not enough market, too costly etc).

All in all it doesn't seem that important to be able to use a 70mm fan, with huge power, where a 90mm fits fine anyway. That is more of a costly, academic pursuit.
It would be interesting to see a detailed enough chart/curve, but I suspect output result is still a close match between Watts to Thrust between 70mm and 90mm anyway - or even in the larger fans favour.
Hmmm... better have a Watts per Thrust per Cost (including motor and batteries needed in that) chart....
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV Cameras & fixed or pan/tilt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2012, 06:24 PM
"LiPo-Blaster"
Duluth, GA
Joined Apr 2009
932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
The wemotec Minifan rotor is a very different construction, GRP based molding not this carbon impregnated stuff. I already asked the factory about molding the 10 blader in a GRP material, time will tell if it is done.

I run the Minifan rotor at 56K+ with the old ARC2858 setup, and with the new 1W40 its running at 63K without issue, of course balance must be perfect. When I did destructive testing I had to take it well over 70K to explode it, saw over 3.5kg thrust on the stand before it blew, and it took 2 runs to blow it, very tough rotor.
Wow!
RugFlyer is offline Find More Posts by RugFlyer
Old Jun 18, 2012, 07:41 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2011
104 Posts
Tam,

I was wondering if you could sell me some stators for your fans. I tried to reverse engineer your fan so I can copy it and then sell it off as my own, but was unable to salvage the stators since they break when I try to remove them since they are glued in to strong.
Super Matt is offline Find More Posts by Super Matt
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 18, 2012, 08:37 PM
Joined Nov 2006
10,910 Posts
Lol
(and ask what glue it is too)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:22 PM
Joined Oct 2009
1,050 Posts
Got a few flights in on the HET 2w-30 with Extreme shaft adapter/spinner and my new 4000mah 6S nanotech. Power went way up over the old L2855 2300kv setup. Got 74amps and 1680watts, battery was 85% full.

The plush 60 is still hanging in, although it is starting to get fairly warm, and the motor came in at 190 degrees. Three minute flight used up 3000mah!
nighthawk0077 is offline Find More Posts by nighthawk0077
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:01 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
4,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Matt View Post
Tam,

I was wondering if you could sell me some stators for your fans. I tried to reverse engineer your fan so I can copy it and then sell it off as my own, but was unable to salvage the stators since they break when I try to remove them since they are glued in to strong.
Yeah.. Yeah.... send him the blueprints too Tam...obviously he cant design something with his own imagination so he has too copy designs of other hard working people...very creative..keep up the good work work Super Matt..you sound like a very intelligent guy!! Please post up some more great ideas we can all learn from..very creative!!
ZACATTACK is offline Find More Posts by ZACATTACK
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:29 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
LOL....come to my shop and use my tool too.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:26 PM
Joined Nov 2006
10,910 Posts
I suspect you missed the sarcasm and underlying reason of that 'stator post'.... not that I know it, but it seems only one possible reason. And who is Matt.... (or who is he really).
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2012, 05:46 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,440 Posts
Thats like nicely asking Tam or E-Jets for permission to copy their product and them politely saying no...Matt was 6 of 12 out of the 13 total
ApexAero is online now Find More Posts by ApexAero
Old Jun 19, 2012, 06:50 AM
NEW JERSEY U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2010
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamjets View Post
Send to my shop.
Next week I can balance them.
This is a short week and I be on vacation with family.
No problem Tam. I will hold off until next week. Enjoy your vacation..
SKYRYDER1000 is offline Find More Posts by SKYRYDER1000
Old Jun 19, 2012, 07:25 AM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2012
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk0077 View Post
Got a few flights in on the HET 2w-30 with Extreme shaft adapter/spinner and my new 4000mah 6S nanotech. Power went way up over the old L2855 2300kv setup. Got 74amps and 1680watts, battery was 85% full.

The plush 60 is still hanging in, although it is starting to get fairly warm, and the motor came in at 190 degrees. Three minute flight used up 3000mah!
hi, May i know what the AUW of your aircraft? and what is the thrust the 2W-30 produced?
viperviper is online now Find More Posts by viperviper
Old Jun 19, 2012, 01:18 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2011
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamjets View Post
LOL....come to my shop and use my tool too.
I have Barry for that. Hahahaaa
Super Matt is offline Find More Posts by Super Matt
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 19, 2012, 01:20 PM
I'm slow but I'm expensive
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2003
576 Posts
All kidding aside, is there any on line or other information on stator design? I did a search on RC Groups and came up empty. Maybe I wasn't asking the right question. I am the kind of person that sometimes like to take the difficult path and roll my own.
Ken
Ken Lilja is online now Find More Posts by Ken Lilja
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Ken Lilja; Jun 19, 2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 01:32 PM
I'm slow but I'm expensive
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2003
576 Posts
Does anyone know offhand how many poles the Cyclone Power 480-2500 and 480-2800 have? (for rpm measurement) I understand that it is equal to the number of magnets, or is it equal to the number of gaps between than magnets? I think that I would need to remove the back fairing to see the magnets.
Thanks,
Ken
Ken Lilja is online now Find More Posts by Ken Lilja
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2012, 02:36 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Here is the video rotor give up.
Last night I ran another one in the shop to make sure that rotor give up over 46k rpm.
Sure enough it fail right after 46k plus.
So three out of three fail over 46k rpm.
It seen working flawless at 44.5k rpm for many flight we did.

Tam's F-100 2nd flight (0 min 41 sec)
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets