SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 27, 2012, 09:47 AM
NEW JERSEY U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2010
494 Posts
Hey guys! I just wanted to let everyone know the Tacon motor I have been testing here is a winner!! This motor has given my Habu serious motivation. I have logged about ten flights so far and it puts a big smile on my face every time.

It pulls around 77amps and a litte over 1400 watts on a 3300mah 40-80c 5s pack. I used Tam's washer and adapter, this made things even better.. With heavy throttle through the whole flight I am getting 3mins plus in the air. Used a HET heat sink on the motor also.

Give it a try! A little cheaper than a HET and should hold up with 6s use.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m821-2860-2550kv.html
SKYRYDER1000 is offline Find More Posts by SKYRYDER1000
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2012, 01:48 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
1,918 Posts
CS for 70mm sound - what about 64mm?

Now that we've found the 70mm fan giving us the sound we want, what about the smaller models?

If you've got several 64mm jets in the basement but you just hate the whine and howl, this might be for you.

I started out pondering the use of the CS70 in smaller models, but soon found too many drawbacks for me:
- a lot of sanding down to do, and the blade design would be seriously compromised by taking away so much of the blades
- I want to use the original 64mm shrouds, saving a lot of time, and effort, and money.
The CS70 rotor, however, cannot be bought separately. But even if you could get it, there would still be the problem of finding a motor which fits the stock 64mm shrouds AND has a 3.17 or 4mm shaft - most of the smaller 28mm motors with standoff have 3mm shafts.

So I figured that the Haoye 7-blade fans, with their blade design very similar to the Change Sun 70, might at least be an improvement over the stock 5-bladers, and no big deal.

Here's the result, not a great video, winds from the hill were pushing the plane down, my worst start in ages, it was turbulent, I couldn't fly slow - but you get an idea what kind of sound you get.
I was a bit too conservative choosing a 3200kV motor, but even that draws around 25 in the model. Next I would try a 3500kV. The Freewing Panther has a very nice white noise as a result of cheaterholes etc. I don't know why, but white noise was MORE pronounced w/ the stock fan (at low throttle, from half throttle on the whine and howl would begin to drown it...)

F9F Panther 64mm 7-blade sound 3200kV EPO Freewing (2 min 5 sec)

Here's what I used

7-blade Haoye rotor:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=4846

3mm adapter:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=4871

Of course you can also buy the whole fan including adapters and shroud
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=4498

That's the 3200kV motor I am using - a bit low on power
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=10930

This motor I will try in the next "sound conversion" - 3500kV (would still be too tame for many)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10925

Other ideas for better sound in the smaller EDFs?
I am definitely also going to try the 51mm Haoye 7-blader in a Sky Angel 50mm jet some time, I already got one unit balanced with a 2610 Turnigy 3600kV. It's drawing 20A without inlet lip, so this is a bit too much for my 3s 850mA 25C. We'll see...

cheers
Clemens
mopetista is online now Find More Posts by mopetista
Last edited by mopetista; May 27, 2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old May 27, 2012, 02:46 PM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,424 Posts
Hey Mo,
I'm confused after trying to read your post, is the video of a jet with a CS 70-10 fan or what?
Also are you calling the whoosh white noise? You mean the sound of rapidly moving air that drounds out cheap motor whine? I'm lost on your post and don't understand why you're posting on a hoya rotor in the CS thread.
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
Last edited by ApexAero; May 27, 2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old May 27, 2012, 03:04 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
1,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
Hey Mo,
I'm confused after trying to read your post, is the video of a jet with a CS 70-10 fan or what?
Also are you calling the whoosh white noise? You mean the sound of rapidly moving air that drounds out cheap motor whine? I'm lost on your post and don't understand why you're posting on a hoya rotor in the CS thread.
Sorry to confuse you, I just thought that many people reading the CS70 thread are interested in getting a good sounding plane, and that they might also have 64mm planes they would like to get to sound better - maybe sanding down a CS70 might be an option, I haven't done it, but for those interested I report what can be done w/ a 7-blade. Would be interesting if someone who HAS downsized a CS70 could then say if there's a big difference in sound to the Haoye. Hope you're not offended, just ignore my post if it doesn't make sense to you despite my efforts at being clear...
Last edited by mopetista; May 27, 2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old May 27, 2012, 03:27 PM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,285 Posts
Clemens,

really nice result in that airframe, I think you are onto something here.

It sounds almost like the CS10.

I suspect that as you increase kv and revs, you may get more rotor whine though.

This is a good option for those with existing 64mm airframes!

You should also post your results in the

"How to get the "WHOOSH" sound from your fan!" thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...469700&page=20
anlucas is online now Find More Posts by anlucas
Old May 27, 2012, 03:56 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2006
728 Posts
I thought it was as clear as could. You listed what you used, were you WOT the whole time? Nice vid and thanks for the report. Looks like a good option. Do you have any static thrust numbers?
dpowellmeii is offline Find More Posts by dpowellmeii
Old May 27, 2012, 03:58 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
1,918 Posts
how much of the sound due to the fan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anlucas View Post

It sounds almost like the CS10...

I suspect that as you increase kv and revs, you may get more rotor whine though...

..."How to get the "WHOOSH" sound from your fan!" thread...
Anlucas, I think you are right (as usual) - the Panther is an airfame well-suited because of the cheaters covered by thin plastic, and crappy ducting, which all works together to create a nice sound, a bit like the HK Vampire. So what is needed is just an EDF which does not whine or howl, but the Haoye is not as quiet as the CS70, and you will most probably have more rotor whine at higher revs... Compared to typical 5-bladers it's a big improvement though.

The thread you mention is interesting because there the role of ducting etc is discussed in more detail, but after lots of theorizing some still think that the sound of a e.g., a HK Vampire is due to a CS70. Not least from your results w/ the Sapac Hawk I learned that the CS70 itself is not producing much of anything. Therefore, for a nice-sounding plane you need a fan which is producing no whine or howl, and preferably some woosh - now the CS70 doesn't, maybe the CS90 and Stumax do, the Jetfan90 anyway is totally quiet if balanced, and people have been disappointed using it in a composite airframe w/ good ducting, or the nacelles of a Me-262... So you need a nice-sounding airframe too, usually involving bad ducting etc. :-)
And then there's the PWM setting of the ESC (in the Panther case I don't know how to program the stock ESC...) which might help create some turbine whistle...

cheers
Clemens
Last edited by mopetista; May 27, 2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old May 27, 2012, 04:19 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
1,918 Posts
more off-topic regarding 64mm Haoye mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpowellmeii View Post
I thought it was as clear as could. You listed what you used, were you WOT the whole time? Nice vid and thanks for the report. Looks like a good option. Do you have any static thrust numbers?
thx! - I was WOT almost the whole time, but that was also due to the strange turbulent air and downdraft, it was just not possible to take it easy. Can't measure thrust, but it is definitely lower than w/ stock 5-blade, at least the 20% that amps are also lower, maybe worse. I suspect that the high-pitched Haoye fan is ok in flight but not great for static thrust, and I would think that it doesn't like narrow thrust tubes too much (a bit like the CS70).

For comparison, here's the Panther w/ stock fan - in calm air, nice to potter around, and on low throttle the stock fan is very quiet, but otherwise the 7-blade is a huge improvement:

F9F Panther 64mm EDF Freewing winter sun (2 min 19 sec)

Just remembered the video of a really fast Stinger 64 using the 7-blade. Here it is, the fan is loud and sounds like other fans - better after balancing (in the vid after 2:50 min.) but still no option if you require more power AND you want a quiet fan it seems. Eventually I'll sand down a CS70 :-)

160.3 mile/h ( 257.9 km/h ) Stinger 64 edf mod. "Still in one Piece" (6 min 1 sec)

cheers
Clemens
Last edited by mopetista; May 27, 2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old May 27, 2012, 06:26 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,497 Posts
Already running and producing an Extreme Alloy 64mm CS10 fan, 4s runs at 800w and produces just under 1.3kg thrust:
ExtremeRC VectorJet (1 min 34 sec)
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old May 27, 2012, 06:29 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopetista View Post
The thread you mention is interesting because there the role of ducting etc is discussed in more detail, but after lots of theorizing some still think that the sound of a e.g., a HK Vampire is due to a CS70.
I would have to agree that the overall sound of the Vampire is much improved by the CS10 setup, we have 3 running at our field and one is stock, sounds like your usual screaming high pitched EDF model, the other two with Alloy CS10 setups sound just like a vampire should
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old May 27, 2012, 06:59 PM
Joined Oct 2009
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugFlyer View Post
Funny you mention it... I have Twins!

HET 2W-25's(2720kv) mounted in E-Flight Delta V-15 Housings, CS-10 Fans, Extreme-RC 3.17 Shafts (I like these shafts not only because of the nice snug fit but because he's drilled a hole near the end of the shaft which makes tightening the fan blade SO much easier) & Extreme-RC Precision Allow Spinners.

I'm using the E-Flight Delta-V Housings because they're more rigid than the CS housings plus there are spaces cut out of the motor mounts which are designed to keep inrunners running cooler. I'll run this setup on 4S & mainly 5S.

I was originally thinking about running 6S with E-Flight BL-32's but since I already had the 2w-25's and plenty of 4 & 5S lipos I decided to go this direction.

TWM J11B Thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1369312
Good job, that looks great.

I'm running the 2W-30 in my Lander Panther on 6S. Thanks for the link, just ordered the extreme shaft adapter and spinner (currently running without one)
nighthawk0077 is offline Find More Posts by nighthawk0077
Old May 27, 2012, 08:20 PM
NEW JERSEY U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2010
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYRYDER1000 View Post
Hey guys! I just wanted to let everyone know the Tacon motor I have been testing here is a winner!! This motor has given my Habu serious motivation. I have logged about ten flights so far and it puts a big smile on my face every time.

It pulls around 77amps and a litte over 1400 watts on a 3300mah 40-80c 5s pack. I used Tam's washer and adapter, this made things even better.. With heavy throttle through the whole flight I am getting 3mins plus in the air. Used a HET heat sink on the motor also.

Give it a try! A little cheaper than a HET and should hold up with 6s use.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m821-2860-2550kv.html
A video of this setup shot today.

Parkzone Habu- Change Sun 70MM 10 blade fan unit/ Tacon LBP2860 2550kv motor/ 5s pack. (3 min 32 sec)
SKYRYDER1000 is offline Find More Posts by SKYRYDER1000
Old May 27, 2012, 08:27 PM
The Need4Speed
Malaysia, Perak, Ipoh
Joined Aug 2008
926 Posts
The extinct XK2860-B-2200 which I just received. (Not listed on HobbyKing anymore)
Is this relabeled Turnigy motor the same as the Leopard Red LBP Motor?

http://www.leopardhobby.com/product/...ionID=01020204
fooyukvoon is offline Find More Posts by fooyukvoon
Last edited by fooyukvoon; May 27, 2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old May 27, 2012, 09:56 PM
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Apr 2007
1,502 Posts
Hey guys, great thread! I am going to start a new project and would like to use the CS70mm. Can somebody recommend a good motor to run 4S and another for 6S please? I am not sure about the AUW yet and want to consider the two options...
Thanks!
E
earaoz is offline Find More Posts by earaoz
Old May 27, 2012, 10:12 PM
Formerly "Heli Copter"
United States, CA, Watsonville
Joined Apr 2009
425 Posts
V15 shroud, BL 32 motor, CS 10blade rotor. On 6s.

Snake 4500 passes (1 min 50 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by earaoz View Post
Hey guys, great thread! I am going to start a new project and would like to use the CS70mm. Can somebody recommend a good motor to run 4S and another for 6S please? I am not sure about the AUW yet and want to consider the two options...
Thanks!
E
Jetsom is online now Find More Posts by Jetsom