SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 25, 2012, 09:07 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
Have you tried fingernail polish or thin tape?

Regards
e,

yeah, I tried nail polish. This made the fit tighter but the result was still the same. There was significant resonance when running the motor+adapter without the rotor. I did find a spot where the resonance was minimal and then dynamically balanced the rotor to cancel this out but I wasn't totally happy. I am going to spend a couple of more hours later on.

I just hope that it's not a bent motor shaft.
anlucas is online now Find More Posts by anlucas
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2012, 09:08 AM
How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anlucas View Post
Thanks for the tips guys.

Tried nail polish but same result.

I tried 6-7 adapters and found one that is acceptable.

Spend an hour dynamically balancing it and it's 95% of what I achieved in my other combos. There's no significant vibration. Just enough to accentuate the motor whine. Could be that 2800kv on 5S is to be expected to be a bit noisier.

90Amps current at 19V 2.3Kg(5lbs) thrust.... settled....

It was my first 4mm shaft Cyclone Power. It seems that the shaft is slightly undersize.
I'm running the CP 3300KV with the 4mm shaft (and Extreme RC adaptor) in my FW F-16.

All balanced up great on a Bob's Workshop Balancer.

I've got to say I didn't notice any issues with the shaft and adaptor.

Maybe you were just unlucky???
Goody63 is online now Find More Posts by Goody63
Old May 25, 2012, 10:55 AM
I'm slow but I'm expensive
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2003
582 Posts
I have the CP CS480-2500. Extreme RC's 4mm adapter fit perfectly. I have not run it yet.
Ken

Quote:
Eric,

Thanks, saw that.

Both Tams and ExtremeRC's adapters are top notch. It usually takes no more than a couple of minutes to sit them properly and that's that.

In my case they make no difference - the CP 4mm shaft is undersize. It's just a matter of lucking out and setting the grub screws at the right depth to have the adapter in parallel with the motor shaft.

I regret not getting the 3.2mm version...
Ken Lilja is online now Find More Posts by Ken Lilja
RCG Plus Member
Old May 25, 2012, 01:05 PM
Progress with the process...
NE Alabama
Joined Feb 2011
143 Posts
Quote:
I regret not getting the 3.2mm version...
4mm shafts are abundant and cheap...why not replace the shaft?
M3ATpl0w is offline Find More Posts by M3ATpl0w
Old May 25, 2012, 01:28 PM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ATpl0w View Post
4mm shafts are abundant and cheap...why not replace the shaft?
I guess I could as a last resort but by the time I find a shaft that long.....

Anyway, success at last. After fitting and securing the adapter properly, she came through.....

Had to oil the bearings as well.

This motor has some serious power on 4S. 1.5+Kg static thrust on 70amps.

On 5S it's a cracker....
Old May 25, 2012, 02:13 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,849 Posts
Quote:
e,

yeah, I tried nail polish. This made the fit tighter but the result was still the same. There was significant resonance when running the motor+adapter without the rotor. I did find a spot where the resonance was minimal and then dynamically balanced the rotor to cancel this out but I wasn't totally happy. I am going to spend a couple of more hours later on.

I just hope that it's not a bent motor shaft.
easy to check the motor, remove the rotor and shaft, spin the motor up on low to med rpm put your finger on the end of the motor shaft and feel it you should not feel and vibs if it feels like the motor isnt spinning when it is then the motor passes qc if you feel vibs then the motor has issues, consider this the starting point for smoothness whatever vibs you have here will not be able to be removed with adapters or rotors they will only make it worse
jcdfrd is online now Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old May 25, 2012, 02:37 PM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
easy to check the motor, remove the rotor and shaft, spin the motor up on low to med rpm put your finger on the end of the motor shaft and feel it you should not feel and vibs if it feels like the motor isnt spinning when it is then the motor passes qc if you feel vibs then the motor has issues, consider this the starting point for smoothness whatever vibs you have here will not be able to be removed with adapters or rotors they will only make it worse
Yeah, this is the first test I do.

This one has a small issue.
Bell is balanced. Shaft is buzzing.

A bit worse than a couple of the $10 turnigies I run.
Old May 26, 2012, 12:20 AM
United States, NC, Marion
Joined Jun 2011
816 Posts
Guys I'm wanting to use CS 10 blade 70mm in my jet as an upgrade and I love the sound. So here's my question......I have some 14.8v 2650mAh 30c lipos and I'm trying to find a suitable motor for this setup that will give me good power, verticle etc... Or am I SOL. Any suggestions are great. Thanks
ncflyer79 is online now Find More Posts by ncflyer79
Old May 26, 2012, 12:22 AM
RAVI KOTHARI
Joined Nov 2005
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncflyer79 View Post
Guys I'm wanting to use CS 10 blade 70mm in my jet as an upgrade and I love the sound. So here's my question......I have some 14.8v 2650mAh 30c lipos and I'm trying to find a suitable motor for this setup that will give me good power, verticle etc... Or am I SOL. Any suggestions are great. Thanks
I would recommend the 2w-25 HET RC motor. is a superb combination with this fan unit.
ravikoth is offline Find More Posts by ravikoth
Old May 26, 2012, 01:31 AM
"LiPo-Blaster"
Duluth, GA
Joined Apr 2009
932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravikoth View Post
I would recommend the 2w-25 HET RC motor. is a superb combination with this fan unit.
Funny you mention it... I have Twins!

HET 2W-25's(2720kv) mounted in E-Flight Delta V-15 Housings, CS-10 Fans, Extreme-RC 3.17 Shafts (I like these shafts not only because of the nice snug fit but because he's drilled a hole near the end of the shaft which makes tightening the fan blade SO much easier) & Extreme-RC Precision Allow Spinners.

I'm using the E-Flight Delta-V Housings because they're more rigid than the CS housings plus there are spaces cut out of the motor mounts which are designed to keep inrunners running cooler. I'll run this setup on 4S & mainly 5S.

I was originally thinking about running 6S with E-Flight BL-32's but since I already had the 2w-25's and plenty of 4 & 5S lipos I decided to go this direction.

TWM J11B Thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1369312
RugFlyer is offline Find More Posts by RugFlyer
Last edited by RugFlyer; May 26, 2012 at 01:47 AM.
Old May 26, 2012, 08:35 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,507 Posts
My getto test stand,,,,

Hi guys,
Here you go, the equip going in a P3 F-16. An AirSally duct, TamJet adapter set, CP480 3300, K force 100a esc. The default timing is 15 and really sounds better than zero timing though the static thrust seems to suffer just a tad, I suspect it will shine at speed. I get 1100 watts at 77 amps on a nano 45c 3.3 4s and 1300 watts at 88 amps on a nano 45c 4.0 4s! Now check this! I opened the little box from PW-RC and immediately lost the bag with the two stock adapters. Don't have a clue or I'd/I'll offer them to the crowd. The bottom inside fan lip was chewed by a rabbit but I mounted it on Tam's shaft, no balancing. Spun it up but I tweaked it by rotating the impeller on the shaft 180 to get it to spin true. It has a bit of hum at very low end on spoolup but is perfict from 1/3 to full throttle. I cut a rectangular hole for the fins of the esc to shine in the airstream, may enlarge one end for battery air suction/cooling. Good enough for government work rite!
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ApexAero; May 26, 2012 at 03:08 PM. Reason: added 4.0 data
Old May 26, 2012, 03:24 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,894 Posts
Nice work Tom.
I assume you can get to the fan/ESC if needed?
Here's how I did my Air Sally duct.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
Old May 27, 2012, 04:26 AM
The Need4Speed
Malaysia, Perak, Ipoh
Joined Aug 2008
933 Posts
Anyone else testing the Turnigy XK2860-B-2200 on the CS10?

Thanks.
fooyukvoon is offline Find More Posts by fooyukvoon
Old May 27, 2012, 04:41 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,748 Posts
Don't they only have a 2700 kv in the 2860 ?
It is really a 1300W capable, 60A up to 6S.
(The whole series of 2860's are 1300W)
Where it comes from.....
http://www.leopardhobby.com/product/...ionID=01020204
Note HK only sell the 2700 kv (2730) and 5050 kv versions of theirs.

The 2700kv would make a pretty good 4S motor.
But as per all inrunners... a bit heavy. Though it should last a long time because it will not be being run at 'double' specs as per most people do with cheaper motors!
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PeterVRC; May 27, 2012 at 04:46 AM.
Old May 27, 2012, 08:04 AM
The Need4Speed
Malaysia, Perak, Ipoh
Joined Aug 2008
933 Posts
I got it from Hobbyking for my hotliner. But I found a few of the members here actually using it on 6S. It is not on the HK website anymore. (I was trying to checkup on it's spec) There was only 3 units when I ordered. Now it is not found at all.

It is good to know it is capable of 1300W. I'd be happy even with 4S.
fooyukvoon is offline Find More Posts by fooyukvoon
Last edited by fooyukvoon; May 27, 2012 at 08:09 AM.