HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2012, 02:26 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugFlyer View Post
I'm doing some additional mods to mine starting with replacing the slightly out of scale nose cone with a Freewing SU-35's, looks-more better. Also using the FW SU-35 E-Retracts that's going to be a job. Already cut out for the nose gear. I ripped the gay pilot outt'a there too replacing him with a more scale slightly smaller one and detailing the cockpit. May change it to an SU-27 since I have some good Russian decals. Sorry, I got carried away, I'll post details over on the TWM JB-11 thread...

Rick
Rick,

How easy is the switch of the nose cone?

I may just order that part as well.

Thanks

Andrew
anlucas is online now Find More Posts by anlucas
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2012, 09:11 AM
"LiPo-Blaster"
Duluth, GA
Joined Apr 2009
932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anlucas View Post
Rick,

How easy is the switch of the nose cone?

I may just order that part as well.

Thanks

Andrew
Simple, I'll post a pic & explanation over on the TWM JB-11 thread latter today.
RugFlyer is offline Find More Posts by RugFlyer
Old May 24, 2012, 04:26 PM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,334 Posts
Cyclone Power CS480-2800kv

I am stumped!

Just spent 1 hour trying to fit a new CP - 2800kv to this fan.
The motor seems to be balance OK - just OK. There's some vibration in the mid-rpm range. Tried 3 different 4m shaft adapters (stock, Hayoe and ExtremeRC) but I could not get anything close to an acceptable fit. There's significant vibration with the shaft adapter attached.

I can't get it to sit on the shaft properly. When the grub screws are set to just bite on to the shaft, it's OK. As soon as I tighten them, the balance goes off....

Playing with the rotor on, I can get a semi-acceptable result but there's quite a bit of motor noise because of the vibration.

The turnigy motors, in comparison, are breeze to work with.

Anybody had similar experience with the CP motors?

I guess it's just a matter of trial and error...
Old May 24, 2012, 04:33 PM
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,589 Posts
Sound like shaft size is slightly small, someone tried nail polish on the shaft to take up the slack. Only other thing I can think of is a bearing, is there any movement in the shaft.?
clive45 is offline Find More Posts by clive45
Old May 24, 2012, 04:43 PM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clive45 View Post
Sound like shaft size is slightly small, someone tried nail polish on the shaft to take up the slack. Only other thing I can think of is a bearing, is there any movement in the shaft.?
No movement in the shaft. The bearings sound OK.

I think you are right. The shaft maybe a tad small. Now that I think of it, the ExtremeRC shaft adapters were a tighter fit on the L2855 4mm shafts but on this one they were a loose fit.

Nail polish next trick.

Thanks Clive.
Old May 24, 2012, 05:29 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,063 Posts
Quote:
I am stumped!

Just spent 1 hour trying to fit a new CP - 2800kv to this fan.
The motor seems to be balance OK - just OK. There's some vibration in the mid-rpm range. Tried 3 different 4m shaft adapters (stock, Hayoe and ExtremeRC) but I could not get anything close to an acceptable fit. There's significant vibration with the shaft adapter attached...
My CP is awesome -- no issues at all. I'd suspect your adapter, even if you tried different ones.

EDIT TO ADD: Other posters probably nailed it -- shaft diameter is probably slightly under a motor you might have tried prior adapters on? might need to shim with nail polish until you get a snug pre-tightened fit.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old May 25, 2012, 01:54 AM
Finland, Espoo
Joined Jan 2012
88 Posts
I tried nail polish to one another adapter on 4 blade ChangeSun fan and result was terribly out of balance. Impossible to balance if the adapter does not stand true, but is angled to some direction at all - it will make even 5mm motor shaft to bend and the edf to explode and possibly breaks also Esc (happened on me twice on another fan). I then replaced the adapter with one that had absolutely tight fit and voila the fan runs smooth even without balancing. I would have liked to try the 10 blade fan but I do not have tight fit adapter for it and my plane flies with the 4 blade CS. I will not try ever run edf again if the adapter fit is not absolutely perfect (nail polish works better on nails than edf!) and I will not put any washers (even supplied ones) in the fan if their hole is ot absolutely tight fit too, this will also cause terrible unbalance with the Washer coming with CS 10 blade. I have now learned from my fan explosions (in addition that they are very dangerous) High quality adapter with exact fit has paramount importance for the performance and function of fan.
karoliinasalmin is offline Find More Posts by karoliinasalmin
Old May 25, 2012, 02:58 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,334 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys.

Tried nail polish but same result.

I tried 6-7 adapters and found one that is acceptable.

Spend an hour dynamically balancing it and it's 95% of what I achieved in my other combos. There's no significant vibration. Just enough to accentuate the motor whine. Could be that 2800kv on 5S is to be expected to be a bit noisier.

90Amps current at 19V 2.3Kg(5lbs) thrust.... settled....

It was my first 4mm shaft Cyclone Power. It seems that the shaft is slightly undersize.
Old May 25, 2012, 05:25 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,444 Posts
So when you guys mount the impeller to the shaft adapter, during setup have you spooled up to half throttle to check for vibrations then re clock the impeller on the adapter and try to find the sweet spot? Sometimes it needs be done several times to find the spot where it spools up smooth...if not then try Tam's version of a CS shaft adapter kit. He has specially machined an adapter and top washer to very tight tolerances. You may have to heat the adapter to slip onto the shaft as its made the correct way, he took his time. Also try and re clocking the adapter to the shaft a few times, don't just say thats good enough cause it proly ain't. If you've mounted your stuff up and had some major vibe you're better off with another adapter, buy cheap buy twice or three or four or five.....look at the want ads of guys selling off their accumulated overstock,,,,
ApexAero is online now Find More Posts by ApexAero
Last edited by ApexAero; May 25, 2012 at 05:32 AM.
Old May 25, 2012, 05:46 AM
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,589 Posts
The problem is one manufacturers 4mm shaft is not the same as anothers. I have had bearings that have just fallen off a shaft because they cannot get the size of the shaft right. A shaft of the correct size will no doubt fix the problem. You are correct in that cheap adapters don't help b
ut if the shaft is wrong so are all the adapters , good or bad
clive45 is offline Find More Posts by clive45
Old May 25, 2012, 05:48 AM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,592 Posts
I am using Tams Adapter and spinner washer, works very well for me, very little work to get it running smooth - in fact all I did on the first one is mount the adapter and follow his video he had posted to this thread several pages back.

Cheers,
Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old May 25, 2012, 05:50 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
So when you guys mount the impeller to the shaft adapter, during setup have you spooled up to half throttle to check for vibrations then re clock the impeller on the adapter and try to find the sweet spot? Sometimes it needs be done several times to find the spot where it spools up smooth...if not then try Tam's version of a CS shaft adapter kit. He has specially machined an adapter and top washer to very tight tolerances. You may have to heat the adapter to slip onto the shaft as its made the correct way, he took his time. Also try and re clocking the adapter to the shaft a few times, don't just say thats good enough cause it proly ain't. If you've mounted your stuff up and had some major vibe you're better off with another adapter, buy cheap buy twice or three or four or five.....look at the want ads of guys selling off their accumulated overstock,,,,
All agreed! I do all the above. I have ExtremeRC's shaft adapters on top of the stock ones.

After the test stand run, I dismantled everything and will have another go and another one until it's right. If it's not sorted out, it will fail at 1700watts.

Bothers me though. Already wasted 5-6 hours on just this one. Could have spent that working on one of the other projects....

What are the chances that it's a slightly bent motor shaft?
Old May 25, 2012, 05:56 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirX View Post
I am using Tams Adapter and spinner washer, works very well for me, very little work to get it running smooth - in fact all I did on the first one is mount the adapter and follow his video he had posted to this thread several pages back.

Cheers,
Eric B.
Eric,

Thanks, saw that.

Both Tams and ExtremeRC's adapters are top notch. It usually takes no more than a couple of minutes to sit them properly and that's that.

In my case they make no difference - the CP 4mm shaft is undersize. It's just a matter of lucking out and setting the grub screws at the right depth to have the adapter in parallel with the motor shaft.

I regret not getting the 3.2mm version...
Old May 25, 2012, 05:58 AM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,592 Posts
Quote:
Eric,

Thanks, saw that.

Both Tams and ExtremeRC's adapters are top notch. It usually takes no more than a couple of minutes to sit them properly and that's that.

In my case they make no difference - the CP 4mm shaft is undersize. It's just a matter of lucking out and setting the grub screws at the right depth to have the adapter in parallel with the motor shaft.

+1, yes I would think so. I bought my Stumax90mm from Mark and he did a really great job in getting the fan set up and then when the rotor was recalled he changed it out for me. All very professionally done in my opinion.

Cheers,
Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old May 25, 2012, 08:00 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,709 Posts
Quote:
Eric,

Thanks, saw that.

Have you tried fingernail polish or thin tape?

Regards
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771