SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 18, 2012, 12:09 AM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,387 Posts
Meanwhile back at the ranch.

Got a question on EDF ducting.
Putting together the Concept X, with the CS 70.
Tail feathers have a CF rod in each. All fine and dandy, except the CF ends at each. No support after that other then the glue holding them to the the fuse.
And we're talking foam.

Only way I can see to keep the H stabs from just folding up on a hard pull up is to run some CF between em. Problem there is any support will have to run through the duct.

What kind of effect/problem is it going to cause with say an 1/8" CF rod going through the duct about midway between the fan and outlet?
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2012, 12:45 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,271 Posts
should'nt hurt much ...you could add a balsa trailing edge to the c/f/ tube to help streamline it.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old May 18, 2012, 12:57 AM
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,609 Posts
I don't know the aircraft in question, but maybe you could bend a wire so that it goes around the thrust tube and sticks out both sides to hold horizontal stabs. This is done in some aircraft that have an all flying tail..............
Basically its a piece of wire with a hump in the middle the size of which allows the wire to exit at the required point of the fuse..
clive45 is offline Find More Posts by clive45
Old May 18, 2012, 01:01 AM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,387 Posts
Hmm, both great ideas. Hadn't even thought of the bent wire trick Clive.
Luckily I haven't glued the fuse halves together yet. Might be the way to go. Hmm, I'll give it a look see tomorrow. Thanks !
Old May 18, 2012, 01:04 AM
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,609 Posts
Even easier seeing you have not glued the fuse, you can make it exactly to fit and glue to the fuse. Should make the tail very strong.
Let us know how you go.
clive45 is offline Find More Posts by clive45
Old May 18, 2012, 05:50 AM
How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,930 Posts
Housing mounting holes

Probably been mentioned before but I basically one of the CS housings by over-tightning the motor mounting screws in my J-11B tonight.

I was fitting a couple of new 2855 2300kv's (for a 5S setup) and noticed one of the motors wasn't straight in the housing.

Closer investigation revealed that when I had been tightening the grub screws the plastic around the mounting holes had deformed and pushed back towards the motor. This has caused the motor to mount off centre (and rub on the housing).

The fact that I had been cooking the original HK 2800KV motors on 4S in the housings may have also had something to do with it?

So now I've got to wait for HK to get the CS Fans back in stock unless someone else knows a good supply spot (or even better, somewhere you can just buy the housing)?
Goody63 is offline Find More Posts by Goody63
Old May 18, 2012, 06:05 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,771 Posts
Pw-rc
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old May 18, 2012, 06:57 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Pw-rc
Cheers for that!

$3 postage compared to $11 from X-Flight.

Ordered!!!
Old May 18, 2012, 08:38 AM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2012
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody63 View Post
Cheers for that!

$3 postage compared to $11 from X-Flight.

Ordered!!!
this is so far the best shipping rate! compared to some
viperviper is online now Find More Posts by viperviper
Old May 18, 2012, 10:03 AM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,387 Posts
Yep Philip is the man! He does go the extra mile in customer service.

Goody, I noticed on a couple of mine there was some flashing around the mount holes.
Saw like you the motors were sitting cattywompus. I just took a very low speed Dremel rasp bit and cleaned em out.
Old May 18, 2012, 03:50 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,387 Posts
Clive took your advice instead of the CF rod through the tube.
Especially after I realized the stabs have anhedral in them.

Worked like a charm. Thanks again for the idea!
Old May 18, 2012, 06:42 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,756 Posts
Is that the Vector jet? I used some 0.5mm carbon strip on the bottom of the stabs going 1cm into the fuse, flew the guts out of it for a year never a problem even on a 1000w 4s setup.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old May 18, 2012, 10:51 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
Yep Philip is the man! He does go the extra mile in customer service.

Goody, I noticed on a couple of mine there was some flashing around the mount holes.
Saw like you the motors were sitting cattywompus. I just took a very low speed Dremel rasp bit and cleaned em out.
I might give that a try. Just a little worried that they're won't be enough meat left for the screws.
Old May 18, 2012, 11:27 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,707 Posts
recomended set up

i just purchased the a new nitroplanes f18 with the retracts the AUW is 39oz i stated new since i have another one which is a ARF its my beater and iit runs stock . ive never clocked the speed ,but i quess it to be around 75~80mph .i get around 5minute fight time using one of those minutes to land .
so my question to you Gurus is
i only have 4s batteries at the moment 4s 2500 30c gen ace batteries to be exact
what motor do you guys/girls recomend ,2855/2800kv or the 2855/2300 or the 2855/2100 or any other motor that will give me the same performance or better.
better would be nice.
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old May 19, 2012, 12:01 AM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,387 Posts
DO a search here in the DF forum for the CS fan spec thread. Has lists of a lot of motors and combos and how they performed.

The 2100 on 4S pulls around 35 amps, 500 watts, 2 3/4+ thrust.
the 2300 was around 40 amps, 600 watts, and little closer to 3 pounds thrust, if I remember correctly.

Can't remember what the 2800 pulled, but with your packs, unless you parallel a pair the amp draw on the 2800 would be too much.