HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 16, 2012, 06:14 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperviper View Post
Can anyone recommend me a metal alloy ducted fan housing (70mm) so that i can put in the CS 10 blade rotor. need a cheap and good one, and wanted to buy at least 4-5 unit.. Any good recommendation where to get them?
Cheap and good is not easy to find, Landers are cheap but the machining is not as fine or accurate in the main section of the housing as, so there are differences in whats available.
My current 70mm housings are a new design, the centre section of the outer shroud where the thread is has been reduced to a small ridge rather than a large flange, motor mount holes have been resized & optimised for most inrunners, and the stator finish is much finer. They are designed to fit into pre-molded foam models and all composite models that have ducting made for the common wemo/het housings.

Housings are due in tomorrow, and this CNC run I made sure there was no production over run of my designs left laying around that could end up in other peoples hands...
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2012, 06:53 PM
John
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
Cheap and good is not easy to find, Landers are cheap but the machining is not as fine or accurate in the main section of the housing as, so there are differences in whats available.
My current 70mm housings are a new design, the centre section of the outer shroud where the thread is has been reduced to a small ridge rather than a large flange, motor mount holes have been resized & optimised for most inrunners, and the stator finish is much finer. They are designed to fit into pre-molded foam models and all composite models that have ducting made for the common wemo/het housings.

Housings are due in tomorrow, and this CNC run I made sure there was no production over run of my designs left laying around that could end up in other peoples hands...
do you think we could see a video of the housing in action with the CS-10 and maybe a BL32??? I am most curious about using this setup... but I would hate to have to spend $50*3 plus shipping on housings + $75*3 plus shipping on motors + $16*3 plus shipping on fans and then find out that as a matter of fact I don't like it! I like seeing things in action!! especially before i buy.... I am most curious about seeing the shroud... not necessarily in an airframe, but if you could have a video of both that would be awesome.... 6S is the setup I'm most curious about
jk671 is offline Find More Posts by jk671
Last edited by jk671; May 16, 2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old May 16, 2012, 07:17 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,758 Posts
I dont use nor can source eflite motors so cannot help you there. I have posted up video of my F16 with the fan running in it, and I have some vid of my Vampire but still having trouble editing it on this pc so will have to get someone else to do it. The Vampire has the same results as the F16 but more roar due to the restricted intakes, there is no fan sound at all.

Seeing a fan running on the bench is really pointless, tells you little of how it will sound IRL in a model, have done video of bench tests in the past and they are not comparable to installations in most cases. You can see from my F16 video that the sound is about the best thats been obtained so far, its a combination of how the motor is mounted and encapsulated along with the smoothness of the fan and the rigidity of the housing.

My housings are AUD$45.00 and right now the USD is slightly stronger than the AUD so you are going to get it at 1:1 cost.
Old May 16, 2012, 07:26 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2006
984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anlucas View Post
Yes, all but the first couple were with the lip on.

I was correctly advised to put the lip on.....
Thanks, that's what I figured. Any chance you have some numbers on the Turnigy L2855-2100 without the intake lip? If not any chance you might be able to run them? I would but I don't have a test stand to run the fan out of the airframe.

Thanks,
D
dpowellmeii is offline Find More Posts by dpowellmeii
Old May 16, 2012, 07:41 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,564 Posts
So far what is the minimum exhaust diameter that still gives good performance? Is 57mm already too small? I have a laser cut balsa and ply kit that as supplied gives enough room for 57mm. With some careful sanding I could get 59mm but 60mm is going to start getting into some of lightening holes in the formers.
SteveC68 is offline Find More Posts by SteveC68
Old May 16, 2012, 07:57 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
djp
this is very nice work youve done here and more like what I like to see rather than just amps/thrust on the bench.
some thoughts regarding your thrust tube. I did some quick fsa calcs and the 55mm is around 80%fsa so a little small for the cs10 and good for the squall fan as your testing shows so increasing the size for the cs10 fan is the right thing to do but going to 64mm was way too much that works out to be around 110% fsa so I will post my calcs for single outlet fsa's they should be pretty close. I would try 90% and 95%fsa's and you should see those lost mph's come back and still have much better vertical than the 55mm starting point

Exhaust Diameter (single outlet)
100% FSA 61.64414003
95% FSA 60.08327554
90% FSA 58.48076607
85% FSA 56.83308895
80% FSA 55.13619501
75% FSA 53.38539126
70% FSA 51.57518783

Steve I posted the fsa's a couple of pages back, I would say 60mm max but 58 or 59 looks good to me. really 57 should be working good also you really just have to fly them and see what you prefer and what the airframe likes
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old May 16, 2012, 07:59 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,758 Posts
Cant say for stock housings but I am running 55mm with my setup no issues. 80% works out to approx 55mm in my housing and seems to run fine, with the canopy off my Vampire at 1270g AUW climbs strongly out of my hand.
Old May 16, 2012, 08:13 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperviper View Post
Can anyone recommend me a metal alloy ducted fan housing (70mm) so that i can put in the CS 10 blade rotor. need a cheap and good one, and wanted to buy at least 4-5 unit.. Any good recommendation where to get them?
We have the 70mm Efflux pro housing in stock.
http://www.effluxrc.com/efflux-Pro-7...g-EFP70HSG.htm

There are a number of the 70 and 90mm housings flying our jets with Skyworld rotors in them on our YouTube channel.
http://www.youtube.com/user/effluxRC...lts_right_main
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Last edited by efflux RC; May 16, 2012 at 11:07 PM. Reason: correction
Old May 16, 2012, 08:18 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,758 Posts
The straight inlet version is my design, the few you managed to get were overruns from my last production. Wont be any more of those unfortunately
Old May 16, 2012, 08:24 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,920 Posts
We also stock the E-flte BL32 (2150kv, 5mm shaft) motor and a few other E-Flite products. If you don't see what you need, please PM or email us.

We are located in CA.
Gary - effluxrc@gmail.com
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
Old May 16, 2012, 08:56 PM
edf flyer
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Feb 2009
1,197 Posts
I want to run a twin setup in my pro design f22. Any motor suggestions for this fan. The jet will weigh around 7 1/2lbs. On 2-4s 4000 40c packs
Mannyman535 is offline Find More Posts by Mannyman535
Old May 16, 2012, 09:02 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
Cant say for stock housings but I am running 55mm with my setup no issues. 80% works out to approx 55mm in my housing and seems to run fine, with the canopy off my Vampire at 1270g AUW climbs strongly out of my hand.
That is a good data point.

By the way for anyone that wants I wrote a spreadsheet long ago that calculates FSA based on two data inputs. You just put in the shroud diameter and the fan hub diameter and it gives you FSA in 5% increments from 100 down to 70. The spreadsheet gives you the exhaust diameter in a single or double/bifurcated. It's the second spreadsheet.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=114136
SteveC68 is offline Find More Posts by SteveC68
Old May 16, 2012, 09:19 PM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Aug 2008
4,508 Posts
Steve I still use that! Thankyou for taking the time to do such a great service to us all.
The cone xls is great as I'm on cad all the time anyway so it makes it way much faster than the pulse rate program.
ApexAero is online now Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2012, 09:58 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,850 Posts
thats funny Steve thats the one I use, its great.......sorry I forgot/didn't realize that came from you lol!!!
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old May 17, 2012, 12:25 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpowellmeii View Post
Thanks, that's what I figured. Any chance you have some numbers on the Turnigy L2855-2100 without the intake lip? If not any chance you might be able to run them? I would but I don't have a test stand to run the fan out of the airframe.

Thanks,
D
Yes, no problem. But I don't know if the results will be of any use to you. For what batteries do you want numbers for?
anlucas is offline Find More Posts by anlucas