Old May 12, 2012, 11:02 AM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliu View Post
A few points about the setup:

- Do take the time to carefully balance the entire fan-motor system. My unqualified theory is that in-runners are inherently easier to balanced than out-runners. The quality of HET motors also help. That is probably the reason the all stock CS-10 fan works well. Of course, I only have a 500W setup, but other pilots are working on 1000-2000W setups, so fan upgrade may still be needed in their case.

- Keep the trust tube opening large -- I cut the tube close to the foam opening. It makes a huge difference on amp draw and thrust if the tube opening is too small.

- I tried 3s 4000mAh Lipos. It is not necessary and the weight took the fun away from the EF-16 airframe.

Thanks.
I agree, balancing is vital. I'm currently using 2200mah packs which gives an AUW of 22oz for my EF-16, hopefully I can keep the weight in that same range with an HET and the C10. At that weight the plane just glides in slow & easy, especially into a light headwind. I'm not so much into speed, I'm more concerned with sound and stability so I want to keep it light. Thanks again for the info.

Sonny
sonny1 is offline Find More Posts by sonny1
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2012, 01:00 PM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,285 Posts
Had a couple of more flights on my T-45 composite today.

L2855-2300kv on a 3300mah 5S pack. 60amps settled.
1.4Kg thrust in the airfame settled.(AUW 1.9Kg)

Tried a different thrust tube material. Thinner plastic 0.2mm rather than 0.3mm I had last week which resulted in an almost totally silent plane....

This is one makes slightly more white noise but the motor noise is more pronounced.

Here's the video (in the middle the video goes slow-mo for some reason but the sound still plays). There's a couple of low passes into the headwind(10mph) just before the last lap.

Sapac T-45 Composite CS 10Blade - 5S 2300kv L2855.AVI (2 min 45 sec)
anlucas is online now Find More Posts by anlucas
Old May 13, 2012, 01:48 PM
no more glow models for me!!!!
bklyn n.y.
Joined Jan 2008
881 Posts
anluas,
Nice flying!!!!
does your t-45 NEED all that room to take off? or are you holding it on the deck?
mine has a stock fan and 60 amp e.s.c. i left off the gear and handlaunch it, so i've never r.o.g. with mine but this one can go vertical right outta my hand.....you can hear the wind in the video, but 15-20 mph winds don't bother this little jet too much........

t-45 on 4 cell lipo (1 min 47 sec)
iflyrc1012 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrc1012
Old May 13, 2012, 02:00 PM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,285 Posts
Thanks,
I am running mine a bit nose heavy at the moment.
That was a 70ft roll before take-off due to a 15mph cross wind so didn't want to rotate it too soon. With a good head-wind I can rotate it in about 40ft if my CoG is normal.
Old May 13, 2012, 02:27 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
1,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyrc1012 View Post
anluas,
Nice flying!!!!
does your t-45 NEED all that room to take off? or are you holding it on the deck?
mine has a stock fan and 60 amp e.s.c. i left off the gear and handlaunch it, so i've never r.o.g. with mine but this one can go vertical right outta my hand.....you can hear the wind in the video, but 15-20 mph winds don't bother this little jet too much........

http://youtu.be/QK6yN4F1iwc
Flies nice, but that's the FOAM one, Anlucas' is the COMPOSITE version.
Would they have the same airfoil, just different material?
The foam version will be a lot lighter in any case :-)
mopetista is online now Find More Posts by mopetista
Old May 13, 2012, 07:14 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anlucas View Post
Had a couple of more flights on my T-45 composite today.

L2855-2300kv on a 3300mah 5S pack. 60amps settled.
1.4Kg thrust in the airfame settled.(AUW 1.9Kg)

Tried a different thrust tube material. Thinner plastic 0.2mm rather than 0.3mm I had last week which resulted in an almost totally silent plane....

This is one makes slightly more white noise but the motor noise is more pronounced.

Here's the video (in the middle the video goes slow-mo for some reason but the sound still plays). There's a couple of low passes into the headwind(10mph) just before the last lap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cNQrRpt6AI
That's some pretty decent performance out of that motor and fan...I'm real impressed...maybe it's the ducting. I have two of those motors in my F14 and I feel like it's a dog on take off.

Sounds good on the passes too, were you wanting more white noise further away?

Regards
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old May 13, 2012, 11:09 PM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
That's some pretty decent performance out of that motor and fan...I'm real impressed...maybe it's the ducting. I have two of those motors in my F14 and I feel like it's a dog on take off.

Sounds good on the passes too, were you wanting more white noise further away?

Regards
The ducting is quite good on this airframe.
I also tried with a slightly larger than 80%fsa on the thrust tube to see any differences in speed. Thrust was the same between 55mm and 62mm. Obviously 55mm gives a higher eflux speed.

I would like some more white noise... Will try some different material.
Next up is the Cyclone Power 2800kv on 5S
Old May 14, 2012, 12:13 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,496 Posts
Extreme Precision CS10 Spinners

Lots of stuff in today, including the new CS10 spinners!

Fit is really nice, I pulled a random rotor from the box and grabbed a couple of spinners and they are a perfect interference fit. I think I will have to call them "Extreme Precision" Spinners

Also adapter blanks have come in, 4mm back in stock and more 3.17 and 5mm available.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old May 14, 2012, 01:53 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,324 Posts
Mark, have you got any cheaper option for postage than the Express bags?

For small items like the shaft adapter or a spinner, $12 or so to a Melbourne address is bit much if you aren't in hurry.

Just suggestion.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post

Fit is really nice, I pulled a random rotor from the box and grabbed a couple of spinners and they are a perfect interference fit. I think I will have to call them "Extreme Precision" Spinners

Also adapter blanks have come in, 4mm back in stock and more 3.17 and 5mm available.
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old May 14, 2012, 01:56 AM
"LiPo-Blaster"
Duluth, GA
Joined Apr 2009
932 Posts
Quote:

SWEET... just ordered Six "Extreme Precision" Spinners & a few more adapters!

-Rick
RugFlyer is offline Find More Posts by RugFlyer
Old May 14, 2012, 02:25 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,496 Posts
Problem with shipping in Australia is the size, spinners wont fit through 20mm letterbox openings, not unless I squash them flat first

The other problem is if I activate the regular mail option, people will use it to order expensive items, and when the package is "lost" by Aust Post I am the one who gets the bad rep because I wont cover their non insured non registered article.

Cheapest option for spinners is $9.10 for regular mail in a bubble envelope up to 500g, that only just covers the packaging and label costs on top of the postage. Adapters go via letter rates everywhere.
Old May 14, 2012, 03:46 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,734 Posts
Mark, the spinner gets a 'great' fit just on the fans hub I assume?
Though I would also assume having a 'great' shaft is going to help the grand total a lot too(?).
Time to spend up a bit on the CS10's.... grant them a bit of luxury, lol.
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SBEC's connected in parallel
Old May 14, 2012, 04:49 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,496 Posts
New spinner is designed to fit straight onto the stock out of the box rotor without any need to machine the rotor face etc. So with a perfect tight adapter you could get away with a spinner only and balancing everything up, or if you need an adapter the option is there.
Old May 14, 2012, 05:09 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,734 Posts
Thanks for that info.
Well I 'need' spinners and shafts (or at least one shaft) so I can do cross checks to see what the end results are.
Not that I want to be a "skin flint" but my aim is to achieve the best 'acceptably' possible, for the least cost. Rather than "unlimited expenditure for ultimate result".
Maybe sort of like buying a Commodore SS rather than the more expensive 'better' HSV. And how the higher you go in things the more non-linear the return per cost gets. hehe.
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SBEC's connected in parallel
Old May 14, 2012, 05:18 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,324 Posts
Thanks. The difference in postage costs for spinners is SFA so I understand.

It still amazes me that China Post or Japan Post can ship stuff half way round the world for $2.99 and we pay $12 to get stuff sent 3kM.

Quote:
Problem with shipping in Australia is the size, spinners wont fit through 20mm letterbox openings, not unless I squash them flat first

The other problem is if I activate the regular mail option, people will use it to order expensive items, and when the package is "lost" by Aust Post I am the one who gets the bad rep because I wont cover their non insured non registered article.

Cheapest option for spinners is $9.10 for regular mail in a bubble envelope up to 500g, that only just covers the packaging and label costs on top of the postage. Adapters go via letter rates everywhere.
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604