HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 26, 2012, 05:28 PM
no more glow models for me!!!!
bklyn n.y.
Joined Jan 2008
881 Posts
Sandman,
the motor going in my new phase three F-16 is a 2300 kv, not 2800.... i get the feeling this thing is not gonna last until the NEAT fair.....if it does, i'll be a happy camper...i think i should have gotten the 2100 kv motor, but it's only another $25 so if i decide i dont like the 2300 set-up, i'll just plop down the $$$ and change it out....all i was really looking to get out of this set-up was the ability to blow by Pete like he was standing still...LOL! i hate to start a rivalry,
but i can't stand to see my jet slower than everyone elses when we mass launch!!!!

YAY!!!!!!!500 POSTS!!!!! WADDA I GET????? A FREE MOTOR???? LOL!!!
iflyrc1012 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrc1012
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:06 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clive45 View Post
...Could we possibly just get back to the main topic and if you feel that this argument is worth your time start another thread.
Rant over.............
This would be easier if the dis-indigenous claim or implication of "copying" would cease and then subsequent bashing of what's being done with the rotor here.
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:43 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,910 Posts
Well......
I am happy with the $15 CS10 just as it comes. I don't pay one cent more for adaptors etc, mine run totally fine just as they come (6 of them now). They might not be PERFECT, but I don't care, they run totally fine.
I buy $12 motors..... have 4S (F-15), 5S (Meteor/Habu) and 6S(Su-35) uses of those (all the same series $12 L2855 motor).
$27 total for each case.....

4S give 1.45Kg thrust, 5S 1.6Kg, 6S 1.8Kg.... of course varying currents which specific motor KV can alter the thrust/Amps if you want to also, and if you want more thrust you can get that too. And maybe they are a bit wasteful (yes they are - by 10% or so?), but as much as I hate to fly shorter time frames I am happy as long as I get 4 mins out of anything (that is high % WOT used). More than 4 minutes of one plane non-stop is a bore anyway! LOL
(Well I can bare out to 5 or 6 mins).

So for ALL of my uses I am paying under $30 for that better sound and each of those Cells and thrust levels. I can't even buy the Wemo fan unit itself for that! So to me these CS10's are totally fine.
Though if I compare them to a $6 70mm Haoye etc, which gets more thrust for less Amps, but with a terrible sound, then I have paid more for the sound quality 'gain'. $27 CS10 versus $20 Haoye..... still outrunning a Wemo/HET fan cost alone. And the $7 (and extra current draw) is worth it for the sound.

As for flying weight.... I totally DISAGREE with the premise that more weight is a negative. I consider it is a negative if you wanted a plane that can do things the 'real' version could not.... eg far more manouevarable, lower wing loading than the real one had. But I don't want that....
I want to fly a plane that ACTS like a real one, and SOUNDS like a real one.... if possible. eg An F-15 doe not run out 150metres (10x scaled up 15 metre model take off run) and leap into the air and go vertical!! But most models do that sort of 'incredible' take-off. The real aircraft also cannot land and stop within 200metres (20m model)... and have kilometres of landing approach, of a drawn out descent rate etc.
If you have a heavier model then you do head more towards that realism. And they land totally fine.... I have never had a 'bouncey' landing model, that is relative to HOW you land (and other factors too). Every one of my planes are a fair bit over the typical weight people post about.... and I think that gives better flight performance (penetration) and realism. Models are almost always TOO LIGHT.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV Cameras & fixed or pan/tilt
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:02 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,536 Posts
Take a look at a GE turbine impeller, the blades look VERY familiar...End of the day most of the design is more a modification of existing technologies, the GE blade looks just like the new fans on the market (or is it the other way round )
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:19 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
Take a look at a GE turbine impeller, the blades look VERY familiar...End of the day most of the design is more a modification of existing technologies, the GE blade looks just like the new fans on the market (or is it the other way round )
Guess what just became my avatar!
Michael Paxton is offline Find More Posts by Michael Paxton
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:22 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,536 Posts
Thief!!! You stole my design
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:38 PM
AKA Terry Till
Alexandria, VA
Joined Apr 2002
1,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
..End of the day most of the design is more a modification of existing technologies
-Agreed. There is more than one way to go about making an efficient fan.
My point is: Some one already went about designing the rotor and invested lots of time and money to make sure it performs. Change Sun got their hands on one and copied it.
Now, as part of a group effort, guys on this thread, you, Mark, and my self included, are investing our time and money to find out how to get the most out of it.
It is an excellent design; just not Change Sun's.
Again, I apologize for the distraction. It just bugs me.

Terry
ex-racr is offline Find More Posts by ex-racr
Last edited by ex-racr; Apr 26, 2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:45 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-racr View Post
-Agreed. There is more than one way to go about making an efficient fan.
My point is: Some one already went about designing the rotor and invested lots of time and money to make sure it performs. Change Sun got their hands on one and copied it.
Now, as part of a group effort, guys on this thread, you, Mark, and my self included, are investing our time and money to find out how to get the most out of it.
It is an excellent design; just not Change Sun's.
Again, I apologize for the distraction. It just bugs me.

Terry
+1

Max, love the T-Shirt Analogy & good post
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:27 PM
United States, FL, Orange Park
Joined Jul 2010
229 Posts
Man, I have enjoyed this thread from post #1 popcorn:
3rd-dem is offline Find More Posts by 3rd-dem
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:44 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
Whoa.... Shot across the bow... Funny I can go to the local museum and get a T-Shirt of Mona Lisa with Charlie Chaplin glasses and moustache on Mona and not think much on Da Vinci. I just think I have a cool T-Shirt that works like a T-Shirt. So Steve its more like you don't know what I'm talking about.

Who do you accredit for the various propellers on the market? You likely also think the patent bearers Edison and Franklin actually discovered the light bulb and electricity when many before them discovered the concepts that they just finally brought to market in some form.

Here's the problem for the loyalists... Stu's posted answers didn't give me any shiny feeling that he was looking to do anything for us in this class, much like some of the other vendors that are now looking to get their piece, and if he was going to he clearly gave impression that it would not be near the price that even you described. Oh and there is nothing stopping him from actually bringing anything in its perfection to us either. So your point is mute.

This thread is about, what sounds only to be crap in your eyes, a product that many are finding useful and are exploring the limits of its range, not who invented it. Nor is it a place for competing vendors to crap on this product. One actually described this to me as a cheap low quality toy fan illuding to his far superior far more expensive offering, but now that so many are putting it to good use, that same vendor is looking to pair up their line up to it.

This is not a forum for loyalists. However, just for you I suggest that we all stand and give a moment of silence to reflect on the fine works of Stu and all our vendors, for getting us this freedom and liberty .... I'm, ah, holding my arm to my chest at this point

Steve if you don't like it you don't have to be here. Take TheSandmans comment as a guide take it or leave it. It doesn't have to be perfect and STU said his piece on the matter and went on his merry. So why is any talking about who to credit when the discussion is how to get the most out of it?

Brown Coat.
Wow nice straw man. Try hitting on a few points next time. Look something shiny! Why are you discrediting Stu?
SteveC68 is offline Find More Posts by SteveC68
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:17 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,377 Posts
So one day, million years or so ago, Og is sitting on a cliff, he kicks at a few stones at his feet.
"Hmm, round stone go further then square one." From there Og makes the first wheel.

Today in the news, family of Og, have filed suit against every company using a round object, for stealing Og's original idea. Film at 11:00

Really now, for every product out there, there was an original. And for every original it was copied/used to improve or adapt the design.
If we wish to go this route, then every edf, turbine, motor, etc. company is in debt to old Og and have stolen/used his idea.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:19 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,661 Posts
GG,

Some ppl just dont get it...
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:42 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyrc1012 View Post
Sandman,
the motor going in my new phase three F-16 is a 2300 kv, not 2800.... i get the feeling this thing is not gonna last until the NEAT fair.....if it does, i'll be a happy camper...i think i should have gotten the 2100 kv motor, but it's only another $25 so if i decide i dont like the 2300 set-up, i'll just plop down the $$$ and change it out....all i was really looking to get out of this set-up was the ability to blow by Pete like he was standing still...LOL! i hate to start a rivalry,
but i can't stand to see my jet slower than everyone elses when we mass launch!!!!

YAY!!!!!!!500 POSTS!!!!! WADDA I GET????? A FREE MOTOR???? LOL!!!
good luck with that venture .(passing pete) my only interest with this fan has always been the sound , but off course it should have moderate performance .
(85-90 mph is moderate to me )if i ever decide to venture into a hi speed edf. i will look else where , no pun intended for those who are investing time and money into this fan ,
from what ive been reading here the 2800 with a 4s is the way to go, i dont think the 2300 is going to cut it .
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:45 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
So one day, million years or so ago, Og is sitting on a cliff, he kicks at a few stones at his feet.
"Hmm, round stone go further then square one." From there Og makes the first wheel...
+1 I think Ogs fam should get 10% of all revenues created by round thing..

BOT

The CS10 is too quite in the GWS a-4, I'm switching back to the Golden Eagle 80mm 8 blade fan
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:47 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC68 View Post
Wow nice straw man. Try hitting on a few points next time. Look something shiny! Why are you discrediting Stu?
Never discredited anyone, sept maybe you. You just keep trying to make it personal. Did I do something to offend you?
Stu didn't pursue a patent and even if we passed around a hat to lawyered up, you would likely have a GE argument against such counsel had he a nit to pick with CS on a item not under patent. And we in the middle would get what??? The last thing we would want is for this to be a Ford Model T story.

Stu has done a good thing as has many others. But what would you want us to do if he didn't have an interest to bringing this class to market. Are you suggesting we should send all of our GE looking fans back to CS in a honorary salute to Stu?

So straw man trying to point out look around your house... you have likely little idea of who should get credit for inventing/varying, modelling any of it or the stories of who came up with the idea that didn't act on it. Why would any seek to make such a discussion center stage as you are, in a forum about utilizing the thing not who should get creds.

Steve what size T-Shirt do you take. Send me your address and I'll send you Mona Chaplin next time I pass the art museum.

That's actually something I forgot to add GG... here we are making models of all kinds regardless of infringement to Boeing, Lockheed etc. but because its a fan ... Oh stop the presses.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member