Duluth, GA
Joined Apr 2009
932 Posts
Originally Posted by jk671
"Has anyone dare tried running the CP2500kv on 6S??"

Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
Yes, ~85amps\23volts\6s\~5.5lbs of thrust
What were your ESC settings timing and so forth? I have two of these motors.
Thanks
RugFlyer is offline Find More Posts by RugFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2012, 01:23 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk671 View Post
I think what you meant is that the following setups work well with this setup...
2100kv-2500kv on 6S
2500kv-2800kv on 5S
2800kv-3300kv on 4S

does that sound about right to everyone.... if anyone would like to add or voice an edit please by all means do so
Not so simple I think. Depends on the motor quality and they weight of the airframe we are putting these in as well as how many amps we can live with.

I run a CP 3300kv that works great on 4S but also tested another 3300kv that gave up.

A good 2300kv motor could handle 6S but another one wouldn't last.

I would expand the range....
1900kv-2300kv on 6S
2100kv-2600kv on 5S
2300kv-3300kv on 4S
anlucas is online now Find More Posts by anlucas
Old Apr 17, 2012, 01:40 AM
there is no spoon...
Pueblo, Colorado
Joined Jul 2005
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyrc1012 View Post
i have no way to charge a 5 cell at this time.
SO, would i be better off ordering the 2100 and holding the 2300 for another project,...... do i just throw the 2300 in there????
I have the 2300kv motor in my GWS A-4 and it's flying good on 4s and a 55mm thrust tube..5s would make it better, but I need a new adapter, as soon as either Extreme or Tam gets both the spinner AND the shaft..it's a secondary bird, right now.

... peice of advise..get yourself a good charger..they're worth their weight in gold..
Cap232ac is offline Find More Posts by Cap232ac
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:15 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,715 Posts
Quote:
I am sorry can you explain a little....
MY 70mm exceed F18 super hornet is going to be a little heavy with bats and heat sunk motors cause I'm planning on putting some really ignorant power through it with the CS 70mm 10 blade rotor.
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:16 AM
Joined Nov 2005
5,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap232ac View Post
I have the 2300kv motor in my GWS A-4 and it's flying good on 4s and a 55mm thrust tube..5s would make it better, but I need a new adapter, as soon as either Extreme or Tam gets both the spinner AND the shaft..it's a secondary bird, right now.

... peice of advise..get yourself a good charger..they're worth their weight in gold..
Do you have any retracts on the GWS A-4?

I've been flying mine a little over a year and love it but it has around 234234 lbs of hot glue repairs so I think it's getting a little heavy
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:45 AM
there is no spoon...
Pueblo, Colorado
Joined Jul 2005
598 Posts
Quote:
Do you have any retracts on the GWS A-4?

I've been flying mine a little over a year and love it but it has around 234234 lbs of hot glue repairs so I think it's getting a little heavy
Hot glue? I use epoxy, if I break it. I glassed it, so she's pretty tough... no gear at all..hand launch. It's a plane I take out to friends place, when we fly. He's got lots of farm land and a field that's rotated out this year..we cut out a nice dirt runway yesterday and fly everything from trainers, epp 3D ships and my small EDF's..I belong to a club here in Pueblo, but we can't really drink beer and fly there. (within reason..not sloppy drunk or anything)

I like this fan and plan on getting a little more serious with it when I find a model I want to put it in. Found a Rafale, but I read it's not a very good candidate a the ducting is bad.
Cap232ac is offline Find More Posts by Cap232ac
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:50 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
1,983 Posts
some observations about shaft adapters...

ExtremeRC adapters arrived - nice, with no thread and hole in the tip so you can easily tighten the rotor on either using pliers grabbing it or sticking an allen key through etc. More massive body, bigger grub screws (use same key as with the hub tightening bolt)

My 2855 2800kV is vibrating badly even without rotor or adapter in the shroud and that creates awful resonance noise...
Don't know if it would help to balance it (most probably yes, but I don't want to do it now, it's in with wires lead out on the side though a hole in the shroud, so much more direct wiring, and scews thread locked...), or if it's an issue to do with the bearings.
Anyway, when running w/ rotor on it's better. But when coming to a halt it doesn't sound healthy - like bearings not doing their jobs. We'll see how it holds up in use...

Compared how true original and ERC adapters run: not much difference, so for this low power installation in the Vampire I'll use the original adapter, but before mounting did a useful thing:

It's exactly as easy as you would think to get some thread off the original adapter:
Put in your electric drill and hold a file against the first part of the thread. Works fine, now I can grab the shaft adapter in the front with pliers for tightening w/out ruining the thread (and having trouble to get the nut on and off)...

cheers
Clemens
mopetista is online now Find More Posts by mopetista
Old Apr 17, 2012, 01:05 PM
John
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
Quote:
MY 70mm exceed F18 super hornet is going to be a little heavy with bats and heat sunk motors cause I'm planning on putting some really ignorant power through it with the CS 70mm 10 blade rotor.
Oh same here! I am hoping to finish building this week and maidening thursday or friday! Ingorant power!! I think i like how that sounds!!!
jk671 is offline Find More Posts by jk671
Old Apr 17, 2012, 01:08 PM
Joined Nov 2005
5,715 Posts
Quote:
Oh same here! I am hoping to finish building this week and maidening thursday or friday! Ingorant power!! I think i like how that sounds!!!
Airifields F4 as the same kind of bifurcated ducting and half throttle with a SAPAC rotor the white noise is so realistic...

Please take vids if you get your bird up before mine...love the sound
Old Apr 17, 2012, 01:17 PM
John
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
Quote:
Airifields F4 as the same kind of bifurcated ducting and half throttle with a SAPAC rotor the white noise is so realistic...

Please take vids if you get your bird up before mine...love the sound
Hopefully i can get a hybrid of sound and performance with this setup... a mix of these two planes...

T-50 70mm edf jet remaiden (4 min 2 sec)

The t-50 of course has the cs10 70mm with a CP 3300kv on 4S

Exceed RC F/A-18 70mm EDF Jet Maiden Flight (4 min 12 sec)

This plane is running a SAPAC MB-1 motor and fan on 5S
jk671 is offline Find More Posts by jk671
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:18 PM
Joined Mar 2012
62 Posts
anlucas,
Based off of all the tests that youve done with the CS10, and the CP3300KV motor and 100A ESC, powered by a 40C battery. How much thruse do you estimate could be or should be produce with this system using a thrust tube. I have this exact set up in my Mig 15. But havent flown it yet with the thrust tube in this configuration.

I have flown it with a different EDF but same motor ESC and battery with the thrust tube and its kinda fast. But........ we all want more. That and the EDF Im currently using im suspecting is not balanced very well and is very noise and buzzy in the airframe. Where the CS10 fan was quite smooth and quiet by comparison.

I only ask as I dont have the right equipment to test for thrust and watts volts etc.
SilverState RC is offline Find More Posts by SilverState RC
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:41 PM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,363 Posts
Which Mig15? Starmax or ARC?

The static thrust on the test stand was 1.7Kg. In the airframe it was about 1.4Kg.

A thrust tube can reduce static thrust a bit but you may have higher efflux thus top end speed.

Either way make sure you make the intakes as smooth and large as possible (I removed the cheater hole grill).

The 3300kv is a bit too much so the batteries have a difficult time keeping voltage.

Make sure your batteries can take it.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:42 PM
Joined Mar 2012
62 Posts
Looks just like yours, except its the red one. Ive flown it with the CS10 and that 3300kv motor. The flight didnt last that long, maybe 3 min but I was at WOT most of the time as it flew pretty slow with out the thrust tube. I figure if I can get more Eflux out of it with the thrust tube, I should be able to pull back on the power some to conserve that battery life. When I experiment like this I try to keep my flights to about 3 min and check the battery after landing with my fluke meter to see how much is left.

Also I need to get as much as thrust as Im able as I live at a very high elevation compared to most. So better thrust equals, better lift and speed.
SilverState RC is offline Find More Posts by SilverState RC
Last edited by SilverState RC; Apr 17, 2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:07 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,363 Posts
Check that the wiring and stuff in the intake duct doesn't disrupt the airflow to the fan. It can make a big difference. Flying at higher altitude means thinner air and thus lower amps.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:12 AM
Finland, Espoo
Joined Jan 2012
89 Posts
Short comment about my earlier post. As somebody noted, there must be something wrong in my setup and right he was. The 2600kv HK Xcar motor I have, is broken, rubbish, trash, garbage. Takes lots of amps for nothing. So my numbers were false. I have a new motor and getting normal amp readings, will post results later.
karoliinasalmin is offline Find More Posts by karoliinasalmin