SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 13, 2011, 06:13 AM
Wilde Sau
Germany
Joined Sep 2009
3,604 Posts
That sure looks like something that could power a 1.5m Me262.
Would be sufficient to user lower KV-motors though, which would bring the amps down...
Some 1800-2000KV would probably be enough in a twin setup for an AUW of around 2-3kg.

The total amp draw should not exceed 80A on 4S I guess, which would still be some 1200 Watts or 600 per motor...
Any idea yet how much thrust these beasts deliver at 500Watts, 1000Watts and 1500Watts?

Cheers,
Bernhard
Beltpilot is offline Find More Posts by Beltpilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2011, 06:21 AM
AKA Terry Till
Alexandria, VA
Joined Apr 2002
1,510 Posts
From the other Change Sun Thread, here is my testing with a couple different motors:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=108
ex-racr is offline Find More Posts by ex-racr
Old Oct 13, 2011, 06:32 AM
Wilde Sau
Germany
Joined Sep 2009
3,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-racr View Post
From the other Change Sun Thread, here is my testing with a couple different motors:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=108
Thanks!
You are stating there that the fan requires a lot of torque. Would you expect it to work at all at 4S and approx. 500W?

Cheers,
Bernhard
Old Oct 13, 2011, 06:56 AM
AKA Terry Till
Alexandria, VA
Joined Apr 2002
1,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltpilot View Post
Thanks!
You are stating there that the fan requires a lot of torque. Would you expect it to work at all at 4S and approx. 500W?

Cheers,
Bernhard
In my opinion, for what it is, it'll work for 500 watts, but putting a heavy motor in the fan, so that it can operate efficiently would be useless weight.
In my test with the ARC motor, it was clearly not a good match. Lots of watts wasted in heat.
There are other fans out there that will operate efficiently at that wattage and wind up weighing less for 4S.

Terry
Old Oct 13, 2011, 08:16 AM
Wilde Sau
Germany
Joined Sep 2009
3,604 Posts
There sure are, Terry!
But they don't sound anything near as nice as this one. I just don't like the sound of those 5- or 7-blader EDFs and was hoping I could get away with this one

Cheers,
Benrhard
Old Oct 13, 2011, 01:08 PM
Finland
Joined Jul 2004
676 Posts
I would like to install one on my Starmax F-18 , just for sound. I keep my planes light, so I got 4S 1800 pack running 6904 HET with 3W motor, just over 500W and it goes strong.

4S 600W lightweight low KV setup would be fine if thrust would be around 900g-1000g.
Ceeray is online now Find More Posts by Ceeray
Old Oct 13, 2011, 01:51 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,162 Posts
I have some light weight applications I can see using this fan in, at low power levels like 3-500 watts. Given the higher pitched blades I think these will work perfect at those levels and at lower kv on a 4 or 5s. Besides, with a plastic rotor and housing I really don't think this fan will be appropriate at the very high levels of power like 1000 watts and above. That's just my gut feeling based on the strength of plastic, the heat sink capability (none) and the softening under heat of the motor mount and blade stretch likely at high power/heat/RPM.
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2011, 04:45 PM
Wilde Sau
Germany
Joined Sep 2009
3,604 Posts
Eddie, that is exactly what I believed, however I gotta admit I am not very good with EDF knowledge.

So I hoped for this fan being able to propel a 1400-1500mm foam Me262 (of course with twin EDFs) that weighs in at around 2 to 3 kg. If the EDFs were rated at 400W each, the total ampdraw on 4S would be some 50-60A, which would be alright for a single 4S 3000-5000mAh lipo battery.
I have no clue what kind of KV the motors would have to have for that, maybe 1600?

And of course the final question is: would these fans deliver enough thrust at 400W to give enough power to that model?

Cheers,
Bernhard
Old Oct 13, 2011, 07:11 PM
AKA Terry Till
Alexandria, VA
Joined Apr 2002
1,510 Posts
Guys, the rotors and housings are carbon-filled plastic. They are very stiff. Plus, even with the right motor, to spin it up with 2,000 watts is still going to be lower rpm (Less stretch), then another more lightly loaded fan.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 07:16 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,112 Posts
13-15$ The price alone might make it worth a try
vettster is online now Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DTRYER ripped me off!!!
Old Oct 13, 2011, 07:21 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip Flop View Post
It is a pretty heavy loaded little fan, I tested it with the 3200kv mb1 motor on 4s and got around 100 amps and between 1400-1500 watts which is not that bad.
To bring the amps down a little I would use between a 2800-3000kv motor.
But it does have a great sound for a 70mm.
From what I am told these will be released in a week or two and be sold for $13-15.
I'm confused: the pic shows the 4100Kv Cyclone Power motor, rated for 1100W on 4S and specced to work well with a Wemo Minifan (would clearly be too much Kv for this application). Did you test that combo? Interested because I have that same motor. Nice-looking unit, anyway.
TTRotary is offline Find More Posts by TTRotary
Old Oct 13, 2011, 07:30 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltpilot View Post
Eddie, that is exactly what I believed, however I gotta admit I am not very good with EDF knowledge.

So I hoped for this fan being able to propel a 1400-1500mm foam Me262 (of course with twin EDFs) that weighs in at around 2 to 3 kg. If the EDFs were rated at 400W each, the total ampdraw on 4S would be some 50-60A, which would be alright for a single 4S 3000-5000mAh lipo battery.
I have no clue what kind of KV the motors would have to have for that, maybe 1600?

And of course the final question is: would these fans deliver enough thrust at 400W to give enough power to that model?

Cheers,
Bernhard
Your basically correct the lower kv will draw less amps at a similar load as a higher kv motor. Higher voltage will be needed to get the watts you might want. 800 watts will be fine for my needs so when i get a couple I will measure the average blade pitch and calculate the kv I will need for 4s voltage.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Oct 13, 2011, 08:38 PM
United States, UT, Layton
Joined Oct 2009
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRotary View Post
I'm confused: the pic shows the 4100Kv Cyclone Power motor, rated for 1100W on 4S and specced to work well with a Wemo Minifan (would clearly be too much Kv for this application). Did you test that combo? Interested because I have that same motor. Nice-looking unit, anyway.
That was the original motor I mounted in it and yes the KV was way to high, and fried my Turnigy plush 80 real quick. Thats when I put the MB1 motor in it. When I try it again I would like to try the Cyclone 3300kv motor, I think it would be a better fit.
Flip Flop is offline Find More Posts by Flip Flop
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:22 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I deffinitely gotta get me a few of these. for the price, how can you beat it?
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Oct 14, 2011, 06:27 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-racr View Post
Guys, the rotors and housings are carbon-filled plastic. They are very stiff. Plus, even with the right motor, to spin it up with 2,000 watts is still going to be lower rpm (Less stretch), then another more lightly loaded fan.
Good to know. That's good for rigidity... but still not good for heat sinking capabilities. So to run this type of fan at high power, there will need to be either a very large motor (probably bigger than the mount to dissipate heat on it's own) or some sort of metal heat sink designed to be efficient and effective in the application. Carbon filled plastic is a fantastic insulator and exactly what is not desirable in shedding heat waste - especially when using cheap motors that have lower efficiencies.

None of this is a big deal unless it's not accounted for. In other words, I don't suspect this fan is a great plug and play option for high power. For those with the know how, it can be done. For medium power, I'm sure it will be fine as a Plug'N'Play assuming the rotor is easily balanced. This is just my opinion based on basic EDF knowledge, I don't have the fan. I plan on buying a few for one of my projects but it will be like Beltpilot's project - medium to low-medium power application only.
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member