Old Mar 26, 2012, 02:57 PM
Finland, Espoo
Joined Jan 2012
89 Posts
Now I have some initial numbers:

This motor: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r_2630kv_.html
2200 mAh Turnigy 25-50C nanotech 4S
Red Brick 125A ESC
The CS 10 blade fan inside a RC lander 72 mm alloy DPS fan housing.

Battery just charged.

Numbers are (ran just short max power to not ruin the motor):
- ~100 A
- ~1250 W
- motor gets hot quickly, and it takes time for the motor to lower the temp
- battery gets warm quickly

It sounds great on test stand already, lost of whoosh present.

Will have to try heat sink with the motor.
I have another motor coming, it is 2200 KV, this one:
XK2860-B-2200 - XK2860-B-2200KV Brushless Inrunner
Lets see if it works more adequately if I it turns out I can't cool down the 2650 KV motor.

And my CS 70 mm 10 blade fans are from: http://www.x-flight.com.hk/
karoliinasalmin is offline Find More Posts by karoliinasalmin
Last edited by karoliinasalmin; Mar 26, 2012 at 03:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2012, 04:27 PM
Norway
Joined Mar 2005
1,137 Posts
Hi all, just signing on the thread
iceman3 is offline Find More Posts by iceman3
Old Mar 26, 2012, 05:35 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,754 Posts
karoliinasalmin, did you check thrust?
And do you have a heatsink on the motor? You will need one, especially as 'we' are always running them quite a way over specs. Anything that has airflow and a heatsink gets massive benefit from dispersing heat that way, it is a big difference. You want to cover as much of the exposed motor can as you can, as every bit of cooling area helps.

I would guess that the RPM result on that would have been about 30,000 to 32,000. So the thrust would be 1.0Kg area.
Your batteri is only 55A 'capable' so it would have been hating it ! LOL Plus the Volts would have been down, so the RPM (calculated above on a good battery) were probably even lower.
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:38 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,387 Posts
Andrew I got caught in the opposite. Wife stole my scale when the one in the bathroom went out.....

karoliinasalmin, ditto what Peter said, also would like if you could post your other specs, as in volts, rpms. thrust, etc. would make it easier to understand all of what's going on with your set up. As something isn't right. Looking at the closest to yours on the chart, the 2825-2618 kv was only pulling around 60 amps on 4S.

The 2800 kv on 6S was almost 100 amps.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:36 PM
Joined Feb 2006
2,405 Posts
okay so i got the change sun 10 blade fan in in the twister

I am using the stock motor himax 3600kv with this fan on 3s and let me tell you, the sound is not there but the power sure can be felt. I am getting better thrust, its almost 1 to 1 on 3s. Before the stock 5 blade you can not hover or close to hover in your hand held vertical now, on the 10blade i can hover with slight help. SO now i can fly this very very light set up with more power than factory just by changing the fan out
sherlockshah is offline Find More Posts by sherlockshah
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:50 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,132 Posts
Himax 3600kV motor w/ Change Sun 10 blade

you have to be VERY careful, this motor is good for some 40 amps, you will very quickly burn it - as people have done with 4s and the original rotor.
Did you measure the amps? They have to be WAY over what the motor will handle for any amount of time.

I was contemplating buying the 2700kV variant of the Himax (it is the old Funjet motor, and it is sold now for some 30 Euros, e.g., at www.schweighofer.at), but it will not deal with more than 30 - 35 amps without additional cooling, it's not the same as a HET motor I am afraid. The 2700kV would at least be a good fit with the Change Sun fan.
The least you should do is get as big a heat sink as will fit in the rear (maybe cut the housing shorter to get more of the can exposed, and a larger heatsink).

A Wattmeter would be a really good investment, some 20 Euros, even a single burnt motor will be more expensive.

cheers
Clemens
mopetista is offline Find More Posts by mopetista
Last edited by mopetista; Mar 27, 2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 06:13 PM
LHS Supporter.....
United States, VA, Springfield
Joined May 2009
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
Have sent 4 or 5 lots out last week, lets see some reports from those who ordered them, should be 7 days or so.

Of course the more you gasbag about it the more time goes by that you could have had them LOL
Here is a user review of the 5mm Extreme shafts.

Flat out awesome. Well made, and the hole makes tightening up a cinch.

I mounted them to a BL-32 in the V-15 housing and they are smooth. No numbers.

When the nose cones become available I will be snapping up a couple with the 28mm heat-sinks.

Thanks Chris.
Chris2087 is offline Find More Posts by Chris2087
Old Mar 28, 2012, 02:42 AM
Joined Dec 2008
61 Posts
Hi All,

I recently fitted the CS 10 Blade Fan into my Starmax F5 with the Cyclone Power 2500 kV motor and turnigy 60 to 80 Amp Speedy. The performance is fine with the thrust at about 1.6 Kg. The only issue I have is I'm not getting the great "whooshing" sound still seems to have the high pitched wine. Anybody got any Ideas why we havent got the nice sound?

regards,

Hawk124
Hawk124 is offline Find More Posts by Hawk124
Old Mar 28, 2012, 03:05 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk124 View Post
Hi All,

I recently fitted the CS 10 Blade Fan into my Starmax F5 with the Cyclone Power 2500 kV motor and turnigy 60 to 80 Amp Speedy. The performance is fine with the thrust at about 1.6 Kg. The only issue I have is I'm not getting the great "whooshing" sound still seems to have the high pitched wine. Anybody got any Ideas why we havent got the nice sound?

regards,

Hawk124
Are you running it with the plastic spinner on?

Which version of the 2500kv CP - 4mm or 3.17mm shaft?

Most probably it's not balanced well thus the high pitched whine.

Try rotating the plastic spinner around bit by bit and retrying to smooth it out. Or remove the spinner altogether.

If you are using the 4mm version, does the shaft adapter fit on the motor shaft tightly or is there slop?
If it slides on freely then you probably tightened the shaft adapter slightly off center and it wobbles.
anlucas is online now Find More Posts by anlucas
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:38 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,550 Posts
Turnigy L2855-2300kv retest

I performed a retest of the L2855-2300kv on 5S.

Things that have changed since then:

1) Different sled - type test stand on a fish type scale (The old stand was the push type on a kitchen scale).
2) Temperature is up 15deg celcius

Same battery and a Plush 80amp ESC on Low timing.
High timing on this ESC results in 10 more amps, NO additional thrust and 50F higher temperatures on the Bell after the run.
Mark (ExtremeRC) is right!

Sustained amps are 58-60A on 19V and thrust around 1.8Kg.
Towards the end of the run when the battery is depleted it drops to about 1.7Kg.
Max Temperature on the bell after the run reached about 150 F.
Peak thrust is just below 2Kg at the start and within 10 seconds it is 1.9Kg.

My previous tests were slightly higher which can be attributed to the different stand and much lower temperature.

Is 1.8-1.9Kg of thrust for 1100-1200w good enough?

You be the judge.

I will personally continue to use this stand because of the lower numbers it gives which will be closer to the real thrust when placed in an airframe.

Turnigy L2855-2300kv - 5S - CS 10 Blade Test (2 min 11 sec)
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:28 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,132 Posts
performance suffers if spinner removed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anlucas View Post

Most probably it's not balanced well thus the high pitched whine.

Try rotating the plastic spinner around bit by bit and retrying to smooth it out. Or remove the spinner altogether...
In case I cannot get a good balance WITH the spinner I might simply leave the spinner off (except when the rotor is visible like in an airliner nacelle, then it would look awful without the spinner...)

Does anybody have made some comparison - is the in-flight performance markedly different without spinner?

Thanks
Clemens
mopetista is offline Find More Posts by mopetista
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:35 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopetista View Post
In case I cannot get a good balance WITH the spinner I might simply leave the spinner off (except when the rotor is visible like in an airliner nacelle, then it would look awful without the spinner...)

Does anybody have made some comparison - is the in-flight performance markedly different without spinner?

Thanks
Clemens
Not much different.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:42 AM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopetista View Post

Thanks
Clemens
Airflow builds pressure on at the blunt rotor that lets the flow form arround it. Unisghtly yes, performance wise only a little degradation occurs.

Eric B.
AirX is online now Find More Posts by AirX
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:27 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,754 Posts
Anlucas.... nice results. I hope I can get anywhere near that!
Though my main aim at the moment is both 5S and 4S. I would even be happy with 1.4Kg or 1.5Kg on 5S. And hopefully 1.1Kg to 1.2Kg on 4S. But more would be even nicer.

I almost have my 'all new' test setup ready. Hopefully Friday I will get to do the first tests with it. I have all meter/displays in one 'block' area, so a video camera on a tripod will record them all in one screen. It will probably even capture the whole stand/fan/ESC etc within that frame.
Typical things recorded - Thrust, Amps, Volts, Power, RPM (metered off the ESC drive)
Maybe it will even capture an exploding fan eventually! LOL
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:52 AM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,387 Posts
Andrew, looking at your video I wonder if the two wood blocks in front and to the sides of the fan could be affecting the intake air flow?
To me it seems they would.

Don't forget a 4S test for us low power guys.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl