HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2012, 07:49 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2015 , May 28-31
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,882 Posts
Since the weather is improving here in the midwest, I finally got another video with the fan mounted. The model is really quiet now.

Scratch-built EDF F-4E w/CS-70mm (2 min 23 sec)
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2012, 07:51 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,648 Posts
Extremes version of the CS70-10 sounds just like a Stumax and it has the performance to boot.
I will say if Stuart would make a 70 mm version of his equipment I would get one or two, as it is I will get them from Extreme when I get thru playing with my stock units, can't beat getting a proper adapter along with a decent alloy heatsink to get rid of the heat....

Eric B.
AirX is online now Find More Posts by AirX
Old Mar 12, 2012, 08:09 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,386 Posts
Ok EDF experts, what the best way to stop a slipping fan?

Found the problem on the HET 3W motors I had. Yep...

Use the old prop trick of sandpaper on the washer?

No I'm not going to glue them on.
Glacier Girl is online now Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Mar 12, 2012, 08:12 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC68 View Post
You mean like this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TufYysDFJk

The CS70 would be a better fan if it didn't have as much pitch. It would still sound the same, but you wouldn't have to run super high voltage "for a 70mm fan setups." Nobody is going to run 1600kv motors on 8S in a 70mm airframe because there isn't room to put the batteries. Not to mention the increase in weight resulting in increased wing loading, increased landing speeds, increased tendency to tip stall etc. I've yet to see an 8S Phase 3 EF-16. Don't get me wrong the fan sounds super sweet but it will never fly anything as fast as a HET or Wemo.
Actually it probably would make more noise for sure. You should check out the setup Jcfrd is running, I would say 140mph in a Habu compared to that hand launch HP F16.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2198

Read the posts connected with these guys, this was not an 8s system.

All this speed crap is not what I prefer, can't keep the plane in sight anymore, scale and aerobatics more my preference.

Eric B.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 08:14 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clive45 View Post
Who is using the L2855-2300 on 4S? I have lost track.
I've got two fans on the way with L2855-2300 motors for 5S. 4S would work with this setup on a lighter airframe. I think the numbers show 5S is the sweet spot for this fan/motor combo.
SteveC68 is offline Find More Posts by SteveC68
Old Mar 12, 2012, 08:15 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cox View Post
Since the weather is improving here in the midwest, I finally got another video with the fan mounted. The model is really quiet now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjk0C...xXw2O6MKpAFhM=
Nice flight Kevin.

Eric B.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 08:20 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,724 Posts
Quote:
You mean like this one
Nope, that is not a jet its a drag car that does a few fast passes and then its all over, weighs a ton and lands hot. I was selling and building this particular F16 airframe before Phase3 got hold of it, and have seen and read all the setups in the speed contests from years ago.

My Wemo/2W18 setup Extreme F16 was clocked at 135mph running on 850-900 watts and weighing in at 850 grams with a 2600mah 45c pack.

My current setup with the 10 blade fan weighs in at just under a kilo with a 3300mah 4s 35c pack and is doing 125+ easily, same power level, heavier as I wanted more flight time. I can fly my F16 WOT for most of the flight, and enjoy it for what it is supposed to be, a Jet model, not a drag car with a 3 second excitement period. Where is the super hi voltage and low Kv?? My fan has an off the shelf motor in it.

The model you showed in the video was heavier than my F16, I could easily run mine on 2600 6s and get it up around 150mph and it would still be much lighter than all the drag versions, but end of the day I am not interested in fast passes and then tooling back to the start line at 1/4 throttle...
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Mar 12, 2012, 08:21 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,077 Posts
That's what I'm talking about. That's a cs10? What motor? Pretty impressive for 6s

Granted the wemo does 150 pushig my fairly large L39 on 5s
Jwmflying14 is online now Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
Old Mar 12, 2012, 08:36 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,648 Posts
Quote:
I've got two fans on the way with L2855-2300 motors for 5S. 4S would work with this setup on a lighter airframe. I think the numbers show 5S is the sweet spot for this fan/motor combo.
Hey Steve, where do you guys fly at. I get over to south Houston area to fly with my oldest every so often, we should get together and do a little flying.

I was about to put my CS 70-10 in my old HP F16 but I beaned a light pole while flying last weekend with my son over in Cloverfeild area 2weeks back now I have to build another one. That one was 5yrs old, long live the foamy F16....

Eric B.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 08:41 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,773 Posts
Higher pitch = lower motor noise and lower RPM to get to reduced rotor whine earlier in throttle.
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2012, 08:52 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirX View Post
Appears to be the same pitch of my SM90.
Eric,

This got me to thinking. To use old school math terminology what is the rise and run of a 70mm CS fan blade and the rise and the run of the SM90 blades? Big fans by nature don't spin as fast as smaller fans. You wont see an SM110 spinning at the same rpm as a Wemo micro fan.

I fly in a field that is used as a retention pond when we get a heavy rain (hurricane) but is otherwise dry. It's located in front of a giant school complex on 96 very close to 146, South of Kemah.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:31 PM
Joined Oct 2011
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
Ok EDF experts, what the best way to stop a slipping fan?

Found the problem on the HET 3W motors I had. Yep...

Use the old prop trick of sandpaper on the washer?

No I'm not going to glue them on.
Use two extra nuts as jam nuts on the end of the adapter, lock them together, then using two wrenches you can tighten the rotor nut as much as you dare.
901racer is offline Find More Posts by 901racer
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:56 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,552 Posts
Eric,

Never mind, I was just being lazy. So the CS70 has a blade angle of ~31 degrees and the SM90 is ~25 degrees. The Wemo minifan is ~22 degrees. I think you can figure out why saying the pitches are the same doesn't really mean much. I wonder why Oliver (Wemotec) and Stu chose such low pitch angles.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:21 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Just wanted to chime in here about a motor setup with the CS/10 that several ppl during the course of this thread said was impossible or the kv was too high or whatever BS they would say when someone asked about a certain motor in this fan.

That motor is the jetscreamer 1400 which has a kv of 3990.
This motor is designed to run on 4s and is capable of limited 5s usage.

Its an outrunner desing for those that may not know.

I put this in the CS10 to see what it'd do. I have a thrust stand and the fan/motor was mounted in it.
SO.....
CS/10 w/jetscreamer 1400 on a 4s 30-40c 5000mah turnigy pack
esc was a SS 100amp

With NO outlet ring:
Thrust: 675grams or 1.43 pounds
Watts: 985
amps: 76

WITH inlet ring taped on:
Thrust: 1300+ grams or 2.86 pounds
watts: wasnt able to check it in time(see below)
amps: same...wasnt able to check(see below)

The above 1300 grams is no joke. My son and I were watching the thrust meter when the readout went over 1300 and thats when the rotor flew off. Need to check to see if I got the rotor shaft tightened down on the flat spot correctly or not. I can try again tomorrow if anyone wants and get the amps and watts.
But...in simple terms....YES these motors WILL work and extremely well IF you want to run high amp esc's and high amp capable batteries.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:52 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,386 Posts
Thanks 901, That's what I ended up doing along with the sandpaper trick.
Had to use a crows foot to get a good bite on the main nut as the angle is such that a regular wrench barely gets a bite on it.

kahlog, would love to hear the specs. Question though, how long was the run and did you get a temp reading on it?
Glacier Girl is online now Find More Posts by Glacier Girl