Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 05, 2012, 03:55 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie edf View Post
Thank Extream RC. Now I know that kv does not mean everything. It is as you mention the setup must be carefully done. Thank god there is an analysis from manual v on which I can follow suit. I thought of doing another test (stupid test maybe) next coming Sunday with the CS10 and the Cyclone Power 4100kv to see if there is any different with a much higher kv but I guess that's scrap.

Oz
Oz,

Mark's experience is invaluable.
the 4100kv is too high. Maybe on 3S only.
anlucas is offline Find More Posts by anlucas
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2012, 04:06 AM
Joined Jan 2012
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anlucas View Post
Oz,

Mark's experience is invaluable.
the 4100kv is too high. Maybe on 3S only.
Don't worry Anlucas. I'm not going to do the test since the data is already there by manual v. For the time being ,my L-39 will be with the stock Sapac setup until I can find a way to make it faster without going to 5s or 6s. I'm sticking with 4s.

Oz
ozzie edf is offline Find More Posts by ozzie edf
Old Mar 05, 2012, 06:36 AM
Joined Oct 2011
152 Posts
Finally got out flying yesterday with my 70mm F16. It had the Turnigy XK2850-B-3000kv with the CS 70/10 in it on 5S.

Was able to hand launch 4 times. Never did that before with this plane. It was very quiet and without much swoosh sound. Maybe the lack of a thrust tube and a huge inlet, just not sure. It flew with authority, very nice. It came down all 4 time's warm, but not overly hot. This was supposed to be my 4S motor, but decided to try it in flight on 5S.

901racer is offline Find More Posts by 901racer
Old Mar 05, 2012, 06:56 AM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,701 Posts
Well, if the winds ever get under 10 mph around here, I'll do the same. Freewing F-16 will be the test bed for the CS 10 blade.

Spend a little time last night with the SK3 3300kv outrunner mounted up in a generic shroud (StarMax, I think...) and a 10 blade fan. Mostly it was to punish a 4s 5000mAh 30C lipo I have that's behaving badly - I wanted to cycle that batt to see if it could be revived. However, the testing did reveal a few interesting conditions. First, even without a lip on the shroud the fan was pulling a good 1500g. Second, even after 90 - 120 seconds of WOT the motor was right at 98* - the battery was up at 120*. I didn't have the meter hooked in since the intent was to pull the batt hard. Based on this, tonight I will re-do the tests with the meter installed, and get some more data. I really wish I had an inlet lip for this shroud, too.
PikeStaff is online now Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Old Mar 05, 2012, 07:11 AM
Joined Oct 2011
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeStaff View Post
Well, if the winds ever get under 10 mph around here, I'll do the same. Freewing F-16 will be the test bed for the CS 10 blade.

Spend a little time last night with the SK3 3300kv outrunner mounted up in a generic shroud (StarMax, I think...) and a 10 blade fan. Mostly it was to punish a 4s 5000mAh 30C lipo I have that's behaving badly - I wanted to cycle that batt to see if it could be revived. However, the testing did reveal a few interesting conditions. First, even without a lip on the shroud the fan was pulling a good 1500g. Second, even after 90 - 120 seconds of WOT the motor was right at 98* - the battery was up at 120*. I didn't have the meter hooked in since the intent was to pull the batt hard. Based on this, tonight I will re-do the tests with the meter installed, and get some more data. I really wish I had an inlet lip for this shroud, too.
I'm with you on the wind.. It was 12-15 here and we went ahead, I had something else to test and wanted some wind. I was unsure it was coming home with us..

.. I had just installed a rate hold gyro in it, first time doing that as well. I'm now a fan of rate hold gyro's on the ail's if you want to fly in windy conditions. Very cool, 12-15mph was like 5mph once I got the gyro adjusted. It was a cheap detrum GY48V.

I believe mine is a freewing as well resold under the exceed label.

Last edited by 901racer; Mar 05, 2012 at 07:20 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 07:56 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,682 Posts
Quote:
Guys, last Sunday I was testing my Sapac L-39 foam again with the CS 10 fan in a Sapac shroud with the Sapac Black Tornado 3200kv. After landing, I immediately swap the fan with the stock Sapac 5 bladed fan. The ESC is 120Amps and the battery is a 4s 35c 3300mah. The result is that the stock Sapac fan/Sapac motor is faster than the CS10 fan/Sapac motor. The only thing which is better is the sound which is more turbine like and quiet.
I have looked into the chart that manual v send with regards to the CS10 performance with various motor but I'm really confuse of why the CS10 fan/Sapac motor is not on par. Has anybody try with this CS10/Sapac 3200kv combination before?. Help ,help.

Oz
The higher the current load the more your packs have to give out during flight so a 4s system with the MB1 and it's derivatives aren't going to give the same static thrust as a 5s system at the CALCULATED motor rpm. UNLESS...UNLESS the smaller cell count packs can hold similar calculated rpms via volts throughout the flight as a 5s system can and that's usually not the case cause giving two packs with the same C rating the smaller cell packs voltage will usually dip lower to keep the same RPM as it similar C rated higher cell counter part.

So, if you've calculated a rotor gives out 1lbs of thrust at 1000rpm the voltage always has to support that RPM no matter what the cell count is to give like performance. 1500 watts on a 5 cell usually is going to dip voltage less than 1500 watts on a 4 cell.

Dips of .02 across the cells can result in lower RPM logically, IE the reason I like to know voltages during runs ( )

Check your packs per cell voltage at WOT with the MB1\black tornado motor and the CS 10 rotor....make sure you don't have a lazy cell or one that's about to pop.
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:02 AM
Colorado
Joined Oct 2008
424 Posts
I'm balancing my fan, I did the cell phone way and then now im adding weight to the rotor. Wheres the best place to put the weight? On the inside of the hub? What are you experts using as weight? I'm using little pieces of masking tape.

Thanks
chessmaster is online now Find More Posts by chessmaster
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:17 AM
Joined Oct 2011
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessmaster View Post
I'm balancing my fan, I did the cell phone way and then now im adding weight to the rotor. Wheres the best place to put the weight? On the inside of the hub? What are you experts using as weight? I'm using little pieces of masking tape.

Thanks
Yes, Inside of the rotor hub.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:24 AM
USA, UT, Springville
Joined Dec 2005
1,877 Posts
Quote:
Don't worry Anlucas. I'm not going to do the test since the data is already there by manual v. For the time being ,my L-39 will be with the stock Sapac setup until I can find a way to make it faster without going to 5s or 6s. I'm sticking with 4s.

Oz
I'm with Oz. I am also trying to find the ultimate setup for the composite L-39. After looking over the spreadsheets, it looks like the best motor for a 5S or 6S setup is the Cyclone Power 2800Kv.

This is a bigger, composite airframe, not a foamy. AUW will probably be in the 4LB range.

After seeing the video posted earlier in the thread with the PZ Habu and E-Flite BL32 motor, I was convinced that was the motor to beat, but test results seem to indicate otherwise. Numbers don't lie, do they?

Any thoughts?
therealhiphop is offline Find More Posts by therealhiphop
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:29 AM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 901racer View Post
I'm with you on the wind.. It was 12-15 here and we went ahead, I had something else to test and wanted some wind. I was unsure it was coming home with us..

.. I had just installed a rate hold gyro in it, first time doing that as well. I'm now a fan of rate hold gyro's on the ail's if you want to fly in windy conditions. Very cool, 12-15mph was like 5mph once I got the gyro adjusted. It was a cheap detrum GY48V.

I believe mine is a freewing as well resold under the exceed label.

Neat. Something else new to try. And spend money on . Love this hobby!

I maidened my 70mm F4 Phantom last Thursday, winds 12 to 15 with gusts 20+. Went up twice, back down twice with no damage, but flight was only correcting what the wind did to it. Couldn't consider trimming, as I had no idea what to trim or which way to go . Looking forward to sunny, calmer days.....

The gyro came from HPartz?
PikeStaff is online now Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:38 AM
Joined Nov 2005
5,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealhiphop View Post
I'm with Oz. I am also trying to find the ultimate setup for the composite L-39. After looking over the spreadsheets, it looks like the best motor for a 5S or 6S setup is the Cyclone Power 2800Kv.

This is a bigger, composite airframe, not a foamy. AUW will probably be in the 4LB range.

After seeing the video posted earlier in the thread with the PZ Habu and E-Flite BL32 motor, I was convinced that was the motor to beat, but test results seem to indicate otherwise. Numbers don't lie, do they?

Any thoughts?
Numbers don't be people rarely tell pack voltage.

Looks like the calculated RPMs to thrust have been consistent so that's what I've been going by and get same thrust no matter what cell count I use as long as motor can turn the energy into RPms
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:40 AM
Joined Nov 2005
5,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeStaff View Post
Neat. Something else new to try. And spend money on . Love this hobby!

The gyro came from HPartz?
Yes, and they are first rate..after testing one I picked up 3 more.

They head lock and rate hold with little fuss.....

there are some bigger ones that I like also if you have the room and I think they're still the same cost around 12-13usd
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:43 AM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealhiphop View Post

Any thoughts?
IMO; the Cyclone Power 2500kv would give the best performance on 6S
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:45 AM
Joined Nov 2005
5,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaguy View Post
Yeap I have 3 coming my way, I looked at the stator length and they are the same length as the MB1 which has done in the 2000 watts range WITHOUT the amount of airflow through the windings the CP is going to get.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:57 AM
USA, UT, Springville
Joined Dec 2005
1,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaguy View Post
Thanks,

I was thinking 2800KV because it's a good "in-between" range for both 5S and 6S configurations.

2500KV would be cooler on 6S but might not perform as well on 5S.

I am going to order a motor today and funds are limited so no option to get both .

Any other votes one way or the other (2500 vs 2800)?

Thanks all!
therealhiphop is offline Find More Posts by therealhiphop