SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 04, 2011, 08:58 PM
United States, UT, Layton
Joined Oct 2009
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
Well the fan is in the F16, I really need to build another one of these, gotta try and order in more airframes, this one has been cut and shut too many times, getting real tatty

Sounds really nice inside the fuse, not as much motor whine as on the L39 video, but its hard to tell when the sound is distorting a little on a video. Will get vid sometime this weekend if the remaiden is successful!
That looks down right sexy Mark!

Is that the wemo spinner, and was it a direct fit?
Flip Flop is online now Find More Posts by Flip Flop
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2011, 09:01 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,526 Posts
Nope wemo spinners are too big... Apologies for not answering your next question but some things I have to keep to myself for at least 5 mins..
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Nov 04, 2011, 09:07 PM
Joined Oct 2009
529 Posts
Was it a snug fit?
Old Nov 04, 2011, 09:19 PM
Guarantee at least one landing
Australia, QLD, Mooloolaba
Joined Aug 2007
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut View Post
Burdo, those numbers sound like they are pretty close to what you should see(just a guess as I have not tested mine yet)..but as everyone has said be CAREFULL...What ESC are you using..that may be why it keeps shutting down..
Only using a 55amp ESC when testing this time around. Which is why I kept shutting it down. I'm impressed with the ESC taking the amps, but no point in pushing too far.

Quote:
That battery is suffering really badly on this setup, 9v under load is terminal, I would not be running it more than 5 sec burst at this level, it wont last long otherwise. The 2W15 is too short a can to turn this rotor efficiently, you need to get the RPM so I can compare and get a basis of performance. A much longer can like the ARC2848-1 with the lower 4200Kv would likely pick up RPM at the same time dropping amps, end result will be close in actul output to what you have now but at much less amp draw.
The 3S setup is still a possibility, but as Extreme has said, I'll start chewing through lipo's. Can you tell me what it should be? I must admit I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to the watt meter...the remaining values mean very little and I haven't paid much attention to them.

So now the decision whether to get a bigger ESC or long can motor for either 3 or 4 cell.....

Changesun 70mm 10 Blade bench test video (0 min 58 sec)
Burdo is offline Find More Posts by Burdo
Last edited by Burdo; Nov 04, 2011 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Added questions which need answering
Old Nov 04, 2011, 09:19 PM
RA-TA-MA-HAT-TA
Melbourne, Australia.
Joined Feb 2010
3,263 Posts
Quote:
OMG!!!!!

Video will never do my F16 justice, it sounded exactly like a Stumax!!!!!

No motor sound at all, hardly any electrical sound period, no fan sound, just woosh! Inrunners definitely the way to go, the Alloy housing works perfectly, 900w on 4 cells, I ran 2600 and 3200mah packs in it, the crowd was blown away. You need to be within 50 metres to actually hear it, and you need a quiet field too.

Down wind it was so close to the original Wemotec setup in speed, at least 130mph, and at half throttle its doing 100 for sure and sounds even better, all you hear is the exhaust roar and a little intake noise. First time in a couple of years I have recharged packs at the field to fly the same model again!
I was a witness and he's right, sounded just like a stumax! Now i need a plane for one of these fans. I'm thinking an ARC Mig-15
munce31 is offline Find More Posts by munce31
Old Nov 04, 2011, 09:24 PM
Joined Oct 2009
529 Posts
Oh and what spinner is that?
Old Nov 04, 2011, 09:37 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,526 Posts
I mentioned right at the start of my test journey that I had to mod the rotor, it needs to be mounted up in a lathe and machined to suit the spinner and I also cleaned the blades up, I was going to change the tip profile a little too as it sounded good on the bench but not great, when it was in the air though it was unbelievable!!!!! It sounds better than the L39 video, the housing certainly works, stators are much better than the stock housing, its just an amazing combination and I can see myself ordering in piles of these for the new Extreme CNC 10 blader
Old Nov 04, 2011, 09:40 PM
Joined Oct 2009
529 Posts
Quote:
I mentioned right at the start of my test journey that I had to mod the rotor, it needs to be mounted up in a lathe and machined to suit the spinner and I also cleaned the blades up, I was going to change the tip profile a little too as it sounded good on the bench but not great, when it was in the air though it was unbelievable!!!!! It sounds better than the L39 video, the housing certainly works, stators are much better than the stock housing, its just an amazing combination and I can see myself ordering in piles of these for the new Extreme CNC 10 blader
I still did not get what spinner that is. Is it custom?
Old Nov 04, 2011, 09:49 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,526 Posts
See post 197
Old Nov 04, 2011, 09:50 PM
Joined Oct 2009
529 Posts
Quote:
See post 197
Gotcha
Old Nov 04, 2011, 10:08 PM
Everett, WA
Joined Aug 2002
659 Posts
Quote:
Inrunners definitely the way to go, the Alloy housing works perfectly, 900w on 4 cells, I ran 2600 and 3200mah packs in it, the crowd was blown away.
Hi,

What was the motor used and its kV? I looked over the previous posts and could not find it...

Thanks!

Dave
eaticus is offline Find More Posts by eaticus
Old Nov 05, 2011, 12:18 AM
Flying!!! Got to love it
USA, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Jun 2006
589 Posts
OMG !!!!!!!!!!! is right

I had some time today and ran up the fan in my test stand. Damm this fan put out real good power. My motor is the Sapac silver can D2842-3200Kv, Battery is a 4s 3300 40C Sky Lipo and H/W Pentium 80 amp ESC. I got 1249 watts at 89.7 amps. I could not get the RPM's as I was inside my house and the light is not right to get a good reading from the optical tac. I also did not like the looks of the stock housing mounting holes. So what I did was grind down washers to fit the mounting slots holes. In other words I squared off the washers to get more grip area around the mounting holes. Balanced the rotor (BTW it was all most perfect out of the box) and put two small flat spots on the shaft. Pop it in the test stand and went to town. Yes this fan is quiet as all he!! for a 70mm fan for sure. Below are a few pic's of my test stand as you can see it not a light weight stand. It's all metal with the wood mounted on top. I was testing it on my kitchen table and it started to move the whole stand over the table . This was with the battery even mounted on the stand so I put it on my scale. Weight was 9 1/2 pounds. So this fan was moving all that at just over 1/2 throttle and smooth as silk to boot. Not bad for a 15 buck fan .

Keep em flying
raido56/ Herb
raido56 is offline Find More Posts by raido56
Last edited by raido56; Nov 05, 2011 at 12:45 AM.
Old Nov 05, 2011, 01:04 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,708 Posts
Quote:
... It sounds better than the L39 video,...
That's sayin a lot that L-39 sound was top fan white noise sounds I've heard...very even in tone, I've watched so many videos trying to get the right sound I should be committed.

Quote:
...the housing certainly works, stators are much better than the stock housing, its just an amazing combination and I can see myself ordering in piles of these for the new Extreme CNC 10 blader
Are you willing to just sell housing? I can myself putting some serious watts through this fan
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Nov 05, 2011, 01:08 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raido56 View Post
...Yes this fan is quiet as all he!! for a 70mm fan for sure. .. So this fan was moving all that at just over 1/2 throttle and smooth as silk to boot. Not bad for a 15 buck fan ..
Sounds like CS has some molds that are getting the balance perfect, that's a good thing...one of the reasons small fans sound like a dentist drill is cause they're out of balance at certain RPMs.
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Nov 05, 2011, 05:19 AM
Fairborn, OH
Joined Nov 2009
544 Posts
Quote:
OMG!!!!!

Video will never do my F16 justice, it sounded exactly like a Stumax!!!!!

No motor sound at all, hardly any electrical sound period, no fan sound, just woosh! Inrunners definitely the way to go, the Alloy housing works perfectly, 900w on 4 cells, I ran 2600 and 3200mah packs in it, the crowd was blown away. You need to be within 50 metres to actually hear it, and you need a quiet field too.

Down wind it was so close to the original Wemotec setup in speed, at least 130mph, and at half throttle its doing 100 for sure and sounds even better, all you hear is the exhaust roar and a little intake noise. First time in a couple of years I have recharged packs at the field to fly the same model again!
Excellent news (although we STILL want a video). Approx. 900 - 1000w on 4-5 cells is the target I want out of this fan.
alexandermh is offline Find More Posts by alexandermh