SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 13, 2012, 03:39 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekB View Post
OK thanks for the additional tests!! I hope I did not mistake your data. So with my 2500 25C batteries, I can expect close to your last data group. That will work for me now.

Do you think my flight time calculations are close enough? If I get near 7 minutes scale airliner flying, I will be very happy. Plus some great sound. I am charging into assembly this week.
Here's another set of numbers for a smaller battery which is pretty tired.

4S 2650 40C
13.06Vm
40.44Ap
555.2Wp
1.2Kg

I think your 2500 25c gens ace packs will get something in between my 2650 and 3300 numbers. You should be OK.

You can start with 5 mins flying time and see how it goes.
anlucas is online now Find More Posts by anlucas
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:59 AM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,386 Posts
Also think about pack health when doing your figuring, I like the 80% rule
So I do as you math wise but go one step additional, multiplying by .8. That gives me a WOT time and only using 80% of the pack, rather then 100%.

I tend to err on the side of safety with packs, but even using my formula that's still almost 3 minutes WOT. So like Andrew said, flying it 5 at mixed should work out for ya.

I like the idea of just in case, having power for a go around, is there.

WOW Derek, that liner has such tiny wings, compared to the fuse. Looks like someone at Boeing was a designer on the F-104 when they came up with that one.

p.s. Guessing you don't get to build in there....
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:30 AM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anlucas View Post
I think your 2500 25c gens ace packs will get something in between my 2650 and 3300 numbers. You should be OK.

You can start with 5 mins flying time and see how it goes.
Thanks for your great help!! That should be plenty good considering if I have to upgrade, I'm not out anything since those packs are for another airplane. But it's nice to serve double duty if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
Also think about pack health when doing your figuring, I like the 80% rule... that's still almost 3 minutes WOT. So like Andrew said, flying it 5 at mixed should work out for ya.

WOW Derek, that liner has such tiny wings, compared to the fuse. Looks like someone at Boeing was a designer on the F-104 when they came up with that one.

p.s. Guessing you don't get to build in there....
I forgot about the 80% thing. I'm still good to go. When I get this baby flying, if it sounds great and looks great, I'll have no problem breaking out some $$$$ for batteries. I was never drawn to EDF's just because of the high pitch whine, especially for a scale airliner. If these 10 bladers work for great sound, I'm all in baby, cuz I love jets. Just don't like whine.

The wings look fairly proportional in person - I think the photo is deceptive. The chord is 14" at the root, but it tapers fast. I have the scale CAD 3 view drawings directly from Boeing. I'll be curious to compare.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Guessing you don't get to build in there". Do you mean inside the wings? They are solid foam with carbon reinforcing. The fuselage has LOTS of hollow space. We should pop over to the 737 thread if you have more question on that.
DerekB is offline Find More Posts by DerekB
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:59 AM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekB View Post

The wings look fairly proportional in person - I think the photo is deceptive. The chord is 14" at the root, but it tapers fast. I have the scale CAD 3 view drawings directly from Boeing. I'll be curious to compare.
You should find them very scale. Ming's 737 is officially licensed by Boeing.
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Feb 13, 2012, 06:50 PM
Not enough hours in the day
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,429 Posts
Not sure if it would be practical and really would be on the lighter side of usable motors for the CS10 70mm but people used to use the Turnigy 2836 3700Kv and 3200Kv for 70mm EDFs. There also happens to be a 2350Kv version of this motor complete with a 4mm shaft. It's an 80g outrunner.
Anyone tried this out? It should give similar performance to the L2855 2300Kv version I would think but actually has better cooling.
Slaanesh is offline Find More Posts by Slaanesh
Last edited by Slaanesh; Feb 13, 2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:01 PM
Not enough hours in the day
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,429 Posts
If you are using the 4mm adapter which some people have reported as being a loose fit, try coating the motor shaft with a coat or two of nail polish lacquer (or similar).
This will increase the diameter slightly and should then give a nicely centered fit on the adapter. Make sure you still tighten the grub screws gradually - ideally you want them applying pressure together with the same force so that the adapter is straight.
Using this method you should still be able to remove the adapter from the motor.
Slaanesh is offline Find More Posts by Slaanesh
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:19 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaanesh View Post
Not sure if it would be practical and really would be on the lighter side of usable motors for the CS10 70mm but people used to use the Turnigy 2836 3700Kv and 3200Kv for 70mm EDFs. There also happens to be a 2350Kv version of this motor complete with a 4mm shaft. It's an 80g outrunner.
Anyone tried this out? It should give similar performance to the L2855 2300Kv version I would think but actually has better cooling.
Yeap, do a search for 2300...good 5s motor
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:58 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,386 Posts
Nah, Derek, I was talking about the kitchen and dining room. Looks pretty fancy, betting the wife wouldn't be too happy with aircraft construction going on there.

You should see the looks I get if I walk into the Florida room at our house, carrying a part for one of my planes.

Bad enough I have to share my "workshop" with her Wrangler. I get grief all the time about the dust on it..... Umm, it is a Jeep, it's supposed to look dirty.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:09 PM
RAVI KOTHARI
Joined Nov 2005
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaanesh View Post
I use that very same motor on my Funjet on 4S with a 5x5 Prop, flies it really fast.
No cooling on the funjet, but in an edf application that motor should shine.
With the CS i would start with a 4S first.
It is a fantastic motor.

But personally i would stick with the L2855 2300kv. Tried & tested by Anlucas.

IMHO This is what i think the order would be

1) Het Rc 2w25
2) http://rc-castle.com/shop/product_in...oducts_id=1615
3) Hobby king L2855 2300

I tried the L2855 2300 kv, started off great , but then the thrust dropped and for some reason didnt sound right. The cyclone would be a perfect In between choice.

All of the above on 4S 3000 Mah (Minimum)
ravikoth is offline Find More Posts by ravikoth
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:15 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,508 Posts
Turnigy L2855-2300kv in HK Durafly Vampire

I just shot a short video of a test run of the CS 10 blade fan with a Turnigy L2855-2300kv in a HK Vampire.

Very little motor noise. Surpisingly, after screwing the spinner cone the balance was better. You can hear for yourselves....

Electronincs were the stock Vampire 45A ESC and a 3000mah 40 Zippy lipo.

HK Durafly Vampire - CS 10 Blade 70mm EDF - Turnigy L2855-2300kv motor (1 min 13 sec)
Last edited by anlucas; Feb 14, 2012 at 02:37 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:12 AM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,792 Posts
Quote:
I just shot a short video of a test run of the CS 10 blade fan with a Turnigy L2855-2300kv in a HK Vampire.

Very little motor noise. Surpisingly, after screwing the spinner cone the balance was better. You can hear for yourselves....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWehg...C1p6xM6f89ipzY
With that motor it sounds like once outside it will have the requisite whoosh we all want from the CS 10, (no "inside the garage" static echo, it should sound great once airborne). Nice looking plane, and very affordable, very tempting I'm afraid. How is the quality of the arf, and if you've flown it, how does it fly? Do you think it would it work as a belly lander, (no strip or short grass to fly from; hand launch/belly land only where I fly.)? With the straight winged design it looks like it should be fairly stable, which is cool if you aren't looking for bullet-like speed and just want a cool sounding cruiser. I assume you were using a 4S pack, you mentioned the capacity and rating of the lipo, but not the voltage.

Sonny
sonny1 is offline Find More Posts by sonny1
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:30 AM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,792 Posts
Ok, checked out the HK Vampire for myself tonight, and that's for me. I put the one without retracts in my HK cart. Though I love my EF-16, I prefer straight winged, scale-like flying edf's. My eyes are a bit too old for the quickies, but I think this will be my CS-10 plane. Thanks for the video anlucas, you made a believer outta me.

Sonny
sonny1 is offline Find More Posts by sonny1
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:39 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny1 View Post
With that motor it sounds like once outside it will have the requisite whoosh we all want from the CS 10, (no "inside the garage" static echo, it should sound great once airborne). Nice looking plane, and very affordable, very tempting I'm afraid. How is the quality of the arf, and if you've flown it, how does it fly? Do you think it would it work as a belly lander, (no strip or short grass to fly from; hand launch/belly land only where I fly.)? With the straight winged design it looks like it should be fairly stable, which is cool if you aren't looking for bullet-like speed and just want a cool sounding cruiser. I assume you were using a 4S pack, you mentioned the capacity and rating of the lipo, but not the voltage.

Sonny
I wanted a cruiser. Haven't flown it yet thanks to the weather.

There's a long thread for it in the Electric Warbirds forum in RCG.

If you look at the meter, you can see it's a 4S lipo.

I got the PNF but the ARF is just as good. Quality is good but the finish is not as good as the other Durafly series planes. Paint is very sensitive to kicker/CA accelerator.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:40 AM
Guarantee at least one landing
Australia, QLD, Mooloolaba
Joined Aug 2007
316 Posts
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWehg...C1p6xM6f89ipzY
Very nice anlucas....that will sound brilliant in the air.

I noticed some low throttle vibration which I also get from my eF-16, but when its in the air you'll hardly notice it....
Burdo is offline Find More Posts by Burdo
Last edited by Burdo; Feb 14, 2012 at 04:41 AM. Reason: Question answered
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:50 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdo View Post
Very nice anlucas....that will sound brilliant in the air.

I noticed some low throttle vibration which I also get from my eF-16, but when its in the air you'll hardly notice it....
Thanks! Nice to see that all this testing is getting some practical use.

40Amps max and 37-38amps sustained with 1.2Kg of thrust is a very low stress setup. Don't need to worry about burnt motors etc...

The vibration is at a very low throttle setting which is really almost never used while flying except maybe on the landing approach.