HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2011, 04:09 PM
United States, MI, Marquette
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
Build Log
Britten-Norman Defender

Hi all, Just wanted to start a build log on my Britten-Norman Defender. This will be my second build and from studying the plans is a very straight forward design and should be a good first jump into building from plans and not a kit.

Specs per RichUravitch.com
  • Wing Span : 70 Inches
  • Length : 52 inches
  • WEIGHT: 7.5 - 8.2 lb.
  • WING AREA: 600 sq. in.
  • POWER REQ'D: .26 (glow/elec)
  • NO. OF CHANNELS: 4

I ordered the laser cut pack from Hobbyhangar.com and the rest of the balsa needed from Nationalbalsa.com. I am going to go with (2) Power 32 equiv. motors and also ad flaps. Here are a few pics of my progress so far.
Taget is offline Find More Posts by Taget
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2011, 05:13 PM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,435 Posts
Nice model, and it looks like you're off to a smashing start.

Keep the pictures coming.....

Odd

PS: What cell count and props are you planning to use?
wizard of odd is online now Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Oct 12, 2011, 05:49 PM
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
Thanks Odd!

The article from Model Airplane News has a suggested setup for two 3s 5000 mah lipos. I am thinking the easiest route for a first time plans build (Does this count as a scratchbuild ?) would be to stick with recommended setup. As for the props i'm thinking about using a 3 blade prop and modeling the engine nacelles after the turbo prop version (Guess im going to learn how to vacuum form ) there is more detail needed for the engine cowels but i think it will really add to the look of the plane when finished.

Link to Model Airplane News article
Last edited by Taget; Oct 12, 2011 at 05:50 PM. Reason: added link to post
Old Nov 01, 2011, 11:48 PM
Faith in Lift.
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,719 Posts
Outstanding! These are the plans I have also and was also thinking about the turboprop version as it would be perfect for electric motors. Good job, Taget.

Randy
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Old Nov 13, 2011, 07:39 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1 Posts
Looks really nice.. I recently found the Defender article when clearing out my office. I am going to send away for the plans, How did you find the laser cut kit?

DK
DanKenber is offline Find More Posts by DanKenber
Old Nov 25, 2011, 05:02 PM
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
Thanks guys for the encouragement I have the top rear sheeting done but time has been limited, something about a 6 year old and 1 year old that like to occupy my time Dan, as for the laser cut pack i ordered that from hobbyhangar.com. They shipped fast and the parts look good. The only problem i found with the parts was the fuselage seemed to extend just a touch farther than the plans had shown, this shouldn't prove to be a problem.

Pilatus, i to looked at doing the turboprop version but i have never vacu-formed anything and those nacelles were just a touch more complicated to make. I am still holding out hope for richuravitch.com to start selling the plastic pieces again.

Sorry for the late reply and ill try and post some updated pictures later.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 05:36 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Iam starting a twin otter build soon but this looks nice also . I will hang around in the weeds and watch . joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:01 PM
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
Quick update, Wing haves are almost complete and need to start thinking about wiring and servos. Now that i have finished my Cub i can concentrate on the Defender.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:25 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
I meet Rich Uravitch long ago at SAC club in flossmore IL very nice guy and great plane builder. Looking good taget . joe
Old May 01, 2012, 08:46 PM
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
Thanks Joe. It would definitely be cool to meet the person who made the design "Rich", Or any rc plane designer for that matter.... Ohh the questions

Made some progress last night, mostly getting it back on the building board. Stacked up some foam for my nacelle template and sanded the front part of the airplane back down. Joined the wings together and hopefully i will get back down there tonight to test fit the wing.
Last edited by Taget; May 01, 2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: added stuff
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:34 PM
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
Back in action.

So it has been a while since i have updated this thread and some action has happend on the Norman. Rudder control is all set and the servo and radio tray is being assembled. The wing is almost ready for covering just some final sanding and leveling to do. I ordered what i think will work for nose gear and servos.

In the middle of this i have redone my shop and built a paint booth, added ventilation and made much more usable space. ohh and i crashed a plane, whoops!

its all good, lotsa pics no specific order.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:15 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taget View Post
So it has been a while since i have updated this thread and some action has happend on the Norman. Rudder control is all set and the servo and radio tray is being assembled. The wing is almost ready for covering just some final sanding and leveling to do. I ordered what i think will work for nose gear and servos.

In the middle of this i have redone my shop and built a paint booth, added ventilation and made much more usable space. ohh and i crashed a plane, whoops!

its all good, lotsa pics no specific order.
Nice shop you are setting up Tagit ,it wont take long till it all cluttered and homey feeling like mine.lol When you get older like me the lighting will grow more and more . I Have been buying older big heavy long armed flouresent lamps at flea markets around here for around 20 bucks or so and placing around where i work the most . I also have 6 double flouresent lights hanging overhead for lighting but they are just not enough for my old eyes. I go to my company shop to paint and make a mess there so i dont get mine all messed up.lol joe
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:58 PM
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
Thanks Joe! The lighting is definitely increasing, use to have one 4 foot shop light now i have 6. Much much brighter and easier to work under. If i have to paint something big i have my workshop about 1/2 mile away, just wanted the booth for small things and soldering as i am sick of sucking in the smoke.

Tonights progress : rudder and vertical stab covered. I really like the hangar 9 coating as opposed to the monokote, seems to go on easier.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:27 PM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,838 Posts
Awwsome! i like it subbed up ...
Keenan smith is online now Find More Posts by Keenan smith