Fly-In
E/xpo in the UNI Dome - Jan 7 & 8, 2012 - Cedar Falls, IA

E/xpo in the UNI Dome
Indoor Electric Fly-In

January 7 & 8, 2012
At the UNI Dome in Cedar Falls, IA

8AM to 8PM (Saturday)
8AM to 5PM (Sunday)

Indoor Electric Fly-In - AMA required - Hugh flying area with 2.5 Acres of flying space and 162 foot ceiling. The UNI Dome is perfect for everything from micro and slow park flyers to 3D and helicopters. Not only is the football field available for R/C flying, there's additional airspace over the seats on the East side of the stadium. (There's virtually no wall to hit on the far side of the field!) There is a fixed wing aircraft weight limit of 25 ounces, and a Heli rotor limit of 355 mm. An “Air Show” at 1PM each day will feature demo flights of unique aircraft and combat! Contact Stan Sweet (sweet@cfu.net) if you want to participate in the Air Show.

Check the web site for full details on the event - www.expodome.org

Sponsored by the Black Hawk R/C Pilots, AMA Club #792.
rnleeper is offline Find More Posts by rnleeper
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2011, 06:02 PM
Joined Aug 2010
246 Posts
Went to this last year as a spectator, and was very impressed with the number of different planes that were flying. Event is well run, and lots of space to fly. There were many vendors there as well, some with good deals on rc equipment. I'm going again, but intend to fly this year. --Bo
bostomper is offline Find More Posts by bostomper
Old Oct 14, 2011, 06:58 PM
Cedar Falls, IA
Joined Nov 2007
22 Posts
You'll enjoy flying more than watching! Preregister and you get free raffle tickets and go right through the registration process in a minute or two. Be sure to look for the "Prepegistered" spot at the Registration Desk. Last year we had some preregistered pilots waiting in line because they were in the wrong line.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 08:33 AM
Fond du Lac, WI
Joined Mar 2005
555 Posts
In looking at the list of events, I see that you are once again having Blue Ray pylon racing. I respectfully request that if you insist on having a pylon race that you use Pole Cat's from Parkzone. The 'races' that occurred the last two years were less than interesting!
Bob J is offline Find More Posts by Bob J
Old Oct 15, 2011, 12:25 PM
Joined Aug 2007
55 Posts
Bob,

I agree, the Blue Ray racing was not all it was envisioned to be. There are around 100 Blue Ray airframes out in the wild and we are unable to get an 'interesting group' of pilots to participate. We had the same experience years back with the Cox warbirds. I do not think the airframe is the problem.

We are not having pylon racing this year unless a group of pilots requests we set up a competition. It would be at the end of the day Saturday from 6-8pm. If a dozen or more pilots show up with Pole Cats then it can be Pole Cat racing. I will see what the pilot mix is.

I have been indirectly approached about F3P (Indoor Pattern) and Freestyle contests but these too would need an 'interesting group'.

My goal so far this year is for uninterrupted open flying the entire time. We will put on an 'air show' for the spectators from 1-2pm each day. I am looking for exhibition pilots for the show. We may do one race of Blue Ray (or Pole Cat, or whatever) pylon during the air show for a demo.

Stan
justplanesweet is offline Find More Posts by justplanesweet
Old Oct 21, 2011, 08:56 PM
Joined Aug 2010
246 Posts
Last year i had trouble hearing the announcements as they were made. Any chance of an improved PA system?--Bo
Old Oct 30, 2011, 06:26 PM
Joined Aug 2007
55 Posts
Bo,

We have arranged for a sound system from the same company that provided the system for the full scale airshow at the Waterloo airport this summer. Actually, it is the same system. We will have six speakers evenly spaced beside the pilot stations pointed towards the pits and audience. We should be able to hear everything this year.

The announcers are going to have to softly tap the mic or something to let the pilots know an announcement is coming up. I don't want to startle the flying pilots.

Stan
Old Nov 08, 2011, 08:36 AM
Joined Aug 2010
246 Posts
This should really help me get thru the winter, should be alot of fun. Question though--Last year the pitt area looked kind of crowded, is there a limit on how many models you can bring? Thinking of bringing 4-5 planes, and is there room enough to set up that many models? Thanks---Bo.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 07:22 PM
Joined Aug 2007
55 Posts
Bo,

Standard practice is that a pilot and maybe a buddy use one banquet table (6-8ft) of space. The guys with lots of planes have racks to stack them up. I saw a bunch of the 3D guys hanging their planes on the pits fence. There is no hard limit on the number of planes.

The flight line is moving east to allow a deeper pit area. We have increased the pilot pit area from 77 tables in 2011 to 119 tables for 2012.

Stan
Old Nov 23, 2011, 11:22 AM
OSMBuddha
KC Mo
Joined Mar 2007
784 Posts
Looking forward to the event.......seems so far off even though I just went to the indoor in Wichita! Lol
nagayama13 is offline Find More Posts by nagayama13
Old Nov 26, 2011, 09:01 PM
Dike, IA U.S.A.
Joined Nov 2003
85 Posts
Going to kick off the New Year flying right here the E/xpo. Just finished my 71" AJ Slick. Hmm, maybe I should bring it?!
k27r is offline Find More Posts by k27r
Old Nov 27, 2011, 03:19 PM
Joined Aug 2007
55 Posts
k27r,

It is definitely a cool looking plane! If you want to bring it for a static display for the public, that would be great.

Stan
Old Dec 20, 2011, 01:08 PM
Ceder Rapids,Ia
Joined Jan 2007
222 Posts
justplanesweet hoping to make it again this year
you dont have to preregister do you
Marty
Marty Slater is offline Find More Posts by Marty Slater
Old Dec 21, 2011, 08:41 AM
Cedar Falls, IA
Joined Nov 2007
22 Posts
Pre-Registration

Pre-registration isn't required, but it's recommended. You will get to go through the "express" line at the registration table and you will get a free raffle ticket for every day that you are pre-registered.

Neal
Old Dec 24, 2011, 05:57 PM
Founder of the EDF20 club!
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
Boy, this is a lot earlier than usual this year. This year's dates really snuck up on me. Our family has other plans for that weekend, but hopefully we can reschedule those plans and go to this instead. It's not looking too promising though, so if I don't make it, sorry to anyone who was looking forward to checking out the kits we would be selling. If I do make it, I'll be bringing my latest design, Amp3d, which will be in production sometime in the next year. It's a pretty exciting design!
all4smallrc is offline Find More Posts by all4smallrc