HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:16 AM
Staffs UK
Joined Feb 2010
3,070 Posts
Build Log
46" Gas F1 Tunnel 2011 build

Hi guys,been working on this for awhile.
Iv designed it from scratch with the help of a special friend who took the time out to help me with this,giving me pointers along the way.
Still got alot of work to do but the main construction is all finished now.
Powered by an RCMK 26cc,5.3hp,2 stroke she should move quite well and hopefully handle what ever i throw at it in terms of handling etc.alot of time and research has gone into this design and build but will find how good she once she hits the wetstuff.
All the hardware is HOR strut,rudder,servo mounts.
The servo is a 20kg,high torque 1/5 for steering,6kg standard MG servo for throttle
5amp UBEC powered by 11.1v,2100,25c Lipo
Iv 1ltr fuel bag
Prop is 7016 /3blade but am going to get some more props to test with
Still got to modify the strut & bracket then mount the stuffing tube in to the hull.
Still got to get some bits and pieces as i go along to complete the build once painted,which for now is what im concentrating on.
Hope you like :

F1 madness is offline Find More Posts by F1 madness
Last edited by F1 madness; Oct 12, 2011 at 02:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:23 AM
Staffs UK
Joined Feb 2010
3,070 Posts

Last edited by F1 madness; Oct 12, 2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:53 AM
Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Joined Nov 2010
1,113 Posts
Looking great Daz, i bet your well chuffed with the result

Are you using the pipe you showed me or have you got another or got to get another as i don't see any exit on the rear for it yet?

I bet it'll look great in colour, do we know what the scheme is going to be
rotorkilla is offline Find More Posts by rotorkilla
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:57 AM
Staffs UK
Joined Feb 2010
3,070 Posts
Cheers roto
Im pretty happy with it so far.
im going to get a new pipe for it as i think that 1 is not suitable and i was wrongl advised.
In not cut the rear of the canopy yet as i plan to add some more FG inside now to reinforce it some more as its a little flimsy,but its not hard and wont take long.
As for colour scheme dont know yet to be honest
But im sure looking forward to running it
Old Oct 13, 2011, 06:32 AM
Staffs UK
Joined Feb 2010
3,070 Posts
Hi guys,put together a slideshow of the build
46" Gas F1 tunnel build slideshow (5 min 9 sec)
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:28 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,895 Posts
Very nice build so far! I was kind of disappointed not to see an outboard hanging off the transom though otherwise it's just a catamaran in my eyes.
It's going to need some ducts to get some air into the engine, NACA ducts would look good on it.
Your throttle arm is upside down but you may have already noticed that. On my R-524 I just ran some cable to mine, simple but effective.
The 7016/3 should be very close to the prop that the boat will like.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:06 AM
Staffs UK
Joined Feb 2010
3,070 Posts
Hi ron,thanks,cool looking rigger
Id love an outboard lower just cant afford 1 at mo,so expensive and hard to get here in the UK.
But saying that full scale F1's will be running inboards next yr thanks to caudwell marine
Ill look at doing some ducts,my only concern would be too much air leaning the engine out if im not mistaken,im a newb to gas boats and this is my 1st attempt to get 1 running LOL.
Ill change the arm round,i did see on another F1 with same setup he had his upwards like mine.
As for props im gonna get another couple of 3 blades and 2 blades and try all of them for best results,also gotta get another pipe aswell.
Rgds F1
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:00 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,895 Posts
You've got to get air flow through the whole area to get fresh air in and hot air out so there shouldn't be any problem with packing too much in there. This means that the rear of the cowling will need to be open for it to exit.
You're going to love your choice of engine, I've got 2 of the R-254's and 3 S-254's.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:17 AM
Staffs UK
Joined Feb 2010
3,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Olson View Post
You've got to get air flow through the whole area to get fresh air in and hot air out so there shouldn't be any problem with packing too much in there. This means that the rear of the cowling will need to be open for it to exit.
You're going to love your choice of engine, I've got 2 of the R-254's and 3 S-254's.
Hi ron
Iv heard some stories of the RCMK rz chewing pistons but that didnt stop me buying 1,have you had any issues ?????
The rear of the cowl will be cut out leaving only a 3-mm lip round the edge,just wanna ad another layer of FG inside it 1st now iv removed all the foam that was used to form the canopy and nose/cockpit area.
I also noticed you run a venturi would you say they are needed or leave it.
If im right short venturi for rpms and longer 1 for torque.
Ill add some ducts before i fibreglass, in the angles of the cockpit area
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:23 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,895 Posts
It's been a problem with all of the RE engines but have been working on the cure with the new 29.5/30cc engines or conversion kits. I pulled the top of mine off last week as I've got a spitting and sputtering issue. The piston skirt shows scuffing but not bad enough yet to warrant replacement. I'll replace the ring while I've got it torn down though. Fortunately I do have spare parts to replace anything if it needs it.
Give the engine about 1-1/2 tanks of fuel for it to break in. You'll know it when it is as mine really woke up on the water!
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:29 AM
Staffs UK
Joined Feb 2010
3,070 Posts
Cool,i read the best cure is a liner fitted or buy the J&G top but its mega money,i can buy 2 more of these engines for nearly the price of a the kit.
what oil to fuel do you run i read 16/1 is best.
Sorry if im asking loads of daft questions LOL
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:09 PM
Cookie
Australia, NSW, Petersham
Joined Sep 2005
1,177 Posts
Sweet Daz!

If you ever need help in parts for outboards from AU, no worries.

Tired Pete, 4 on, 4 off, of the south.
10x8 is offline Find More Posts by 10x8
Old Oct 14, 2011, 04:21 AM
Staffs UK
Joined Feb 2010
3,070 Posts
Hi pete
Thanks bud
Ill bare the offer mind
Daz
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:19 AM
Staffs UK
Joined Feb 2010
3,070 Posts
Just started trimming the canopy and thought id double check the clearnces,holy hell how lucky am i,theres about 4mm between spark cap and canopy and about 8mm either side of the head LOL
I need some practice at fibreglassing but not bad for 1st attemp LOL
Close fit or what

Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:51 PM
Staffs UK
Joined Feb 2010
3,070 Posts
Hey guys,thinking of doing somthing like this,just done a quick sketch of screen,if i cut the middle piece out ,mesh it then add the CF vinyl round it once painted