HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2011, 05:01 AM
There's magic in those wings !
Joined Nov 2006
4,798 Posts
Discussion
Tragedy then Good news .... I've lost, then found my home made Park hawk ..Found :)

Hi

Please forgive me but I need to vent a bit ... yes I've lost my home made Park hawk .. the one that I spent too much time building and fine tuning .. it was blown away while I was testing it with my old trusty high thrust wing built by SK.... it wasn't too windy when I flew it was something like 12 MPH.. and I flew in that wind before ... I was too stupid .. I should have crash landed instead of letting it get blown away .. and lose it all together .. I could have fixed it again .. I could have landed it on on on of the lamp posts and retrieve it later by any means necessary ..

I didn't take the right decision in time .. I was too stupid .. I don't know.. but I could have saved it but I didn't ... Oh God .. I feel terribly so ashamed of myself ....

Estimated cost is 2500 EP... now imagine losing a 2500 USD plane .. and you are not that rich .. God knows I try to keep expenses at minimum and try to reduce any loses ..

Sorry it is the 1st time for me to lose an R/C model aircraft .. and it meant a lot to me because I built it with my own hands .. and it was in mint condition new .. and it flew really well.. but obviously not in the wind ...

I wonder from who I'll get good news first to cure my my pain..

a Power hawk from SK or a the availability of Robirds from RM....

Khaled

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynSIYg9T36U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoWtPLNnCLU
khaled_abobakr is online now Find More Posts by khaled_abobakr
Last edited by khaled_abobakr; Oct 13, 2011 at 10:27 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2011, 07:10 AM
Joined Nov 2006
4,798 Posts
I've spent more than 3.5 hours searching that night then another 5 hours from dawn to noon continuous searching ..no luck ...

You have no idea how many places I visited during that adventure .. army , Police, big companies, vast opened lands, construction sites, and railways...

Khaled
Old Oct 12, 2011, 07:30 AM
Joined Nov 2006
4,798 Posts
This is one of the best videos I've made with that High thrust wing but with Original PH by SK.... I've trusted that bird that I used to climb up to +700 meter and let it glide several times and it never let me down .. and it was a show stopper for every observer .. the stop then look and gaze .. I used to hear so many Wows... when I was flying that bird ..

Khaled

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVS2K...eature=related
Old Oct 12, 2011, 04:33 PM
Schweiz, BE, Biel/Bienne
Joined Aug 2006
120 Posts
Really sorry about that.

Younger, I did throw boomerangs, I know how it is to search for hours, and how many times I walked by and didn't see them hidden in high grass.
But your bird is quite big, something not so easy to be overseen.
Get on this tall building, use binoculars, and most important remind yourself where it could be gone, where came the wind from and stay cool and relaxed.
It will mostly stick in a tree, and not so far as you think.

On the other side you build one, it's time to make a new one, think about all the thing you could do better now. The second one will also be faster to build.

I can make you a small donation, like an esc or a motor, I'm not rich but that not so expensive for me.

I'm sure that some people here could help with small parts like a piece of pinion wire, some gears or conrods.
Make a new thread about your build, and tell us what you need.
Marcos69 is offline Find More Posts by Marcos69
Old Oct 12, 2011, 09:45 PM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,088 Posts
sorry to hear about your loss khaled and it is hard to tell what wind there is when you are up very high so dont blame yourself beleive me i know how it feels .I lost my first LH .Reading marcos post tell us what you need khaled and we can see how we can help
regards brian try putting up posters and a reward khaled i did but i never found it i hope you do chin up mate
therealthing691 is offline Find More Posts by therealthing691
Last edited by therealthing691; Oct 12, 2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 03:11 AM
Joined Nov 2006
4,798 Posts
@Marcos69
@therealthing691

You have no idea how happy I felt when I read your posts and your true will to help me build another one .. you guys are great .. really I mean it .. I'm very proud to be a friend of yours ..

Forget about the bird .. having you as friends means much much more to me than finding the bird or building another one ... I'm speechless and words can't describe how happy I feel that you do care about me that much .. Thank you thank you very much

Khaled
Old Oct 13, 2011, 05:39 AM
Kjell Dahlberg
Mallorca Spain
Joined Nov 2005
1,094 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss khaled.
Let me know if you are interested in to build a W-BIRD 2 with my Wiggle-Drive.
Kjell
KJELL is online now Find More Posts by KJELL
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:45 AM
Joined Nov 2006
4,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJELL View Post
Sorry to hear about your loss khaled.
Let me know if you are interested in to build a W-BIRD 2 with my Wiggle-Drive.
Kjell
Sure I'll do Mr KJell, and if I ever have a chance to build another bird I'll definitely try your wiggle drive ..

Khaled
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:39 AM
Joined Nov 2006
4,798 Posts
Found :) !!!!

Hi ...

This morning ... I've done the 3rd desperate attempt and I went to the exact spot right before I lost my PH and landed behind those residential buildings, then I used a GPS application in my I-phone to get a top view of the whole area from a satellite image and drew a line from the point where I was standing and in the direction of the wind that day and ended that line to a small spot further away from the search area of yesterday ... I assumed the wind took it to slightly longer distance and it did .. where it landed at the front of a big mosque in an urban area .. flying over a highway, railway, and a canal... Thank God it sustained zero damage .. I've just tested it ..

I feel a lot better now ..

Khaled
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:07 AM
Kjell Dahlberg
Mallorca Spain
Joined Nov 2005
1,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaled_abobakr View Post
Sure I'll do Mr KJell, and if I ever have a chance to build another bird I'll definitely try your wiggle drive ..

Khaled
You are a lucky man. In case you like to use my Wiggle-Drive I can send you all information free of cost.
Kjell
KJELL is online now Find More Posts by KJELL
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:18 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,853 Posts
Khaled - Excellent job finding it.
LifeisGood is offline Find More Posts by LifeisGood
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:22 AM
Schweiz, BE, Biel/Bienne
Joined Aug 2006
120 Posts
That great news. I didn't know it was almost black.
(I got also an black boomerang, LTA type, after a long search, I painted it in Red Fluo, but I sometimes later I lost it anyway, in a real cold pond somewhere in the alps.)
OT: The physical way a boomerangs fly (airfoils) is very interesting, specially the energy conversion (rotation/travel). I build some of them.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to put your name/address on it.
Marcos69 is offline Find More Posts by Marcos69
Old Oct 13, 2011, 03:11 PM
Joined Nov 2006
4,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos69 View Post
That great news. I didn't know it was almost black.
(I got also an black boomerang, LTA type, after a long search, I painted it in Red Fluo, but I sometimes later I lost it anyway, in a real cold pond somewhere in the alps.)
OT: The physical way a boomerangs fly (airfoils) is very interesting, specially the energy conversion (rotation/travel). I build some of them.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to put your name/address on it.
Hi marcos69

The label with my contact info is must from now on, thanks for the hint, I've always wanted to know how a boomrange flies, it's so puzzling indeed, and also not easy to throw I suppose

Khaled
Old Oct 13, 2011, 03:26 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,448 Posts
Glad you found it Khaled! It's amazing just how much miraculous luck I have had myself with most of my lost birds...and going against all odds of finding them. Only the purple Lazy Hawk from 2010 disappeared without a trace.

I also had a miracluous find of my first one and only VT-2 gas powered orni on its maiden flight in Florida. It blew downwind up high over a vast forest at the end of the day shortly before the sun went down.
We went on what seemed to be a futile quest to find it after dark. After reaching an impass by car, we stopped and went on foot deep in the woods on what dirt roads were available. Me and my helper split up going separate ways when my flashlight came right upon the bird right in the dirt road laying flat and completely undamaged! I know how happy you must feel now.
Kinkade is offline Find More Posts by Kinkade
Old Oct 14, 2011, 06:13 AM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,088 Posts
i am so happy for you khaled and no damage you are one very lucky man regards brian
therealthing691 is offline Find More Posts by therealthing691