HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2011, 03:27 AM
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Feb 2007
880 Posts
Discussion
Indoor F3P - How to secure a indoor facility

In the next couple of weeks I am going to again begin my search for an indoor facility. The winters are long here in Cleveland and I believe if I was secure a regular place to fly that members of the local clubs may become more interested in F3P. One of the local clubs schedules a indoor fun fly intermittently. In fact they had two dates scheduled for October that were cancel do to a football game or something. I have approached my local high schools and have not been able get in. I am wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks to help me. It has been a couple of winters since I first approached them so I would like to try again. In our school district, I first went straight to administration who directed me to the athletic department head and was told that the gym is just too busy during the school year for such activity. My opinion is that I didn't properly explain my intent. I also have a membership to a local community recreation center that has a double regulation basketball court that would be perfect and I am considering approaching them.

Anyone have any suggestions to help, or a letter of intent, or something to point my in the right direction. Also, would the AMA be helpful and who would I contact?

Your help would be much appreciated.
tele1974 is offline Find More Posts by tele1974
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2011, 02:54 PM
UK, Reading, Reading
Joined Mar 2004
141 Posts
I wondered how to find a local indoor venue, here in the UK. I thought I had enough interested fliers and a price per pilot I thought people would pay and an hourly cost for the hall.

I found schools hard to deal with even with a contact that worked there! Sometimes to many activities to fit in. The biggest problem was getting a decision, the secretary had to get the head masters agreement, then the school council, then get the caretakers co-operation etc, etc A dead loss I gave up with schools.

I found sports halls the best. Usually the council/local towns. Not private 'gyms' etc. Private to expensive, we get a reduced out of hours rate, at a fee per badminton court it would not be viable. You wont need any of there eqipment only an empty hall. You can work out a lot about a venue on the web there usually pics etc of the places. Private might be ok or an indoor tennis club etc but not in my experience.

If there open minded to model flying your in. Only catch is the times avaliable. I ve only managed to get late afternoon and early evening saturdays. Not good for a lot of fliers. The biggest tip is to get to know or speak to the person who looks after the hall bookings. We often have to adjust our time around the sports halls core activities, they usually email me.

Go to the venue and ask at the reception desk about booking the hall for 1 st contact, not email it will get ignored or they will think your a crank!. Go in working hours at a time that is not to busy eg not when schools close etc. I ve never mentioned all pilots are insured via BMFA (AMA) and I was never asked exactly what the flying involved. Some might want a demo or pick a vidoo clip on youtube thats suitable, can be watched on smart phone of pc.

Thats my advice, bit like a job interview etc 1 st impression counts. Not say radio control sounds nerdy, model flying works. I did not contact the BMFA (AMA) they won't have a list of venue like all new flying sites they are specific to a local area, might be of help to 'back you up' but i never needed that as above.

I you get a venue watch your conduct, as for any flying site. When we were new to our hall that manager went to the gallery to watch!! The staff will know. The staff like us as we don;t use any equipment and we sweep up any depron debris ! Easy for them no set up or clear up

Good luck
Ants is offline Find More Posts by Ants
Last edited by Ants; Oct 12, 2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:43 AM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,319 Posts
Theres a big soccer facility on the west side of cleveland that I hear would be open to flying. PM if you want more info.

Dan
Carnifax is offline Find More Posts by Carnifax
Old Oct 17, 2011, 07:06 AM
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Feb 2007
880 Posts
You know the name of it. Is it actually in North Olmsted?
tele1974 is offline Find More Posts by tele1974
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:12 PM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,319 Posts
This place is in Lorain. I will get the name of ot.
Carnifax is offline Find More Posts by Carnifax
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:59 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,611 Posts
We have had no luck with schools; decent luck with community centers and churches... its a pain we all go through every winter; be persistent and be nice and respectful and doors will open.
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nice Pic
Old Oct 22, 2011, 10:38 PM
gainesville FL
Joined Jan 2002
1,392 Posts
we only tried one school here in fl...a middle school...but their fees were rediculously high, in addition I think we would have had to pay for one employee to be present for the entire duration of our event. They also wanted us to get some sort of insurance that had nothing to do with airplanes, in case someone just slipped and fell on the gym floor. So middle school was out and we figured any public school would have similar issues. We had great success with a small church that had their own full size basketball gym. We were able to rent that for a reasonable flat fee and didn't have to get insurance or pay for staff. Some places like private schools, churches or the boys and girls club also asked the club to do demos at their gym...which didn't cost us anything but we didn't get as much flight time as when we paid for a block of time.
guyaneze is offline Find More Posts by guyaneze
Old Oct 23, 2011, 12:18 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,611 Posts
+1 on churches guy. They did not require anything but a small fee from us which was easily covered by attendants of the meets. However, part of our pitch was that all pilots must be current AMA and follow ama guidelines while flying. I do think them learning of AMA helped us securing the facility.
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nice Pic
Old Oct 23, 2011, 07:38 AM
United States, NY, Olean
Joined Sep 2008
77 Posts
We have been lucky.Our club has been flying every Sunday afternoon in the winter months for about 6 years at a elementary school gym, no fee, no problem. must be AMA to fly though.
crash&fix612 is offline Find More Posts by crash&fix612
Old Feb 01, 2012, 07:39 PM
Joined May 2011
18 Posts
Have you had any luck finding a place yet ? I have flown a few times in the Independence Field House. It was in the late afternoon during the summer when it was not being used by anyone else. I have not been able to find anyone else interested in joining me to rent it out in the evening.
rrobbins6111 is offline Find More Posts by rrobbins6111