HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:44 PM
Joined Jul 2009
175 Posts
Help!
T-28 RX cut out caused crash

I have a micro T-28, and was enjoying flying it, but the receiver cut out and caused it to slam into the runway and bang the nose up pretty bad, should i send it to the company, or what?
at the time it as almost brand new, but its been a while since the crash( the last time I used it)
pow-wow is offline Find More Posts by pow-wow
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2011, 07:39 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
How do you know the RX cut out? Are you sure it wasn't a servo problem? Servos are more of a problem than signal losses with the micros. Try and see if you can duplicate the problem on the ground (check the servos on high rates at full throw and also do a range test).
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Oct 12, 2011, 08:27 AM
Joined Jul 2009
175 Posts
Because the engine cut out and not one servo moved. It did happen a couple times before, but only for half a second or so.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:42 AM
Joined Jul 2011
721 Posts
That sounds suspiciously like the receiver is losing power. Might be a dodgy connection to the battery or something. Either way, call them up and see what they say.
Madratter is offline Find More Posts by Madratter
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:03 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,101 Posts
What lipo are you using? Mine did that with the stock batt. Switched to hyp and it went away. What tx are you using? The toy tx sucks imo for range, so that might be an issue.

J
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:36 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
That is usually a battery/connector/power wire solder joint problem.

It's pretty rare for this problem to be in the brick itself.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:37 PM
Joined Jul 2009
175 Posts
I used one from a previous micro, but it was right in front of me. And it was with the stock battery. I'll contact them and see
Old Oct 12, 2011, 06:45 PM
United States, NY, CENTRAL VLY
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
If everything went dead right in front of you, it's a power problem. Those battery wires eventually work their way loose if there's any tension, and by the nature of flying and changing the battery, there's plenty of tension.

Open it up and bench test it, moving the wire with a fresh battery until you can duplicate it. You can certainly call them, but it'll be much faster to have a look yourself.
ausf is offline Find More Posts by ausf
Old Oct 12, 2011, 07:02 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,279 Posts
What TX are you using? Is this happening towards the end of the flight or are the signal losses scattered? Check where the RX antenna is, make sure it is not covered by the CF control rod. Also try to duplicate the signal loss on the ground, if you can do that, you would find the problem.
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:36 PM
Joined Jul 2009
175 Posts
I contacted them and they said basically after the first flight there's no warranty. But the guy was VERY nice and said since there's not much to do he'll send me another. He said they don't usually do that though. I got pretty lucky
it probably had something to do with a connection, I remember the battery hanging sometimes during flight and having to put it back
Old Oct 13, 2011, 03:38 AM
Sweden, Västra Götaland, Partille
Joined May 2009
493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pow-wow View Post
I contacted them and they said basically after the first flight there's no warranty. But the guy was VERY nice and said since there's not much to do he'll send me another. He said they don't usually do that though. I got pretty lucky
it probably had something to do with a connection, I remember the battery hanging sometimes during flight and having to put it back
Good luck for you!

The first "Mod" I did to my T-28 was to secure the battery with a piece of white Electrical tape, it keeps the battery in place and protects the batt on belly landing in moist grass. The tape I use has a weak "glue" and doesn´t leave a mark on the foam, it also covers the batt and makes the plane look nicer, so its a win-win mod.

I also use the same tape to mark my cells, the fully loaded gets taped over the connector, and once the tape is gone, I know that that battery is used.

Tommy
jimjim06 is offline Find More Posts by jimjim06
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:01 AM
United States, NY, CENTRAL VLY
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pow-wow View Post
That's why they are the best in the business.

Inspect and resolder your old brick, that thing is worth it's weight in gold. I keep moving them from plane to plane.

Don't toss anything from the old one when you part it out, even the plastic aileron crank stem is important and could come in handy.
ausf is offline Find More Posts by ausf
Old Oct 13, 2011, 01:25 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
That is usually a battery/connector/power wire solder joint problem.

It's pretty rare for this problem to be in the brick itself.
Yup, my Beast was having intermittent problems and I finally traced it to a cold solder joint at the battery connector. I've read comments from others who have had the same issue.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Oct 13, 2011, 03:57 PM
Joined Jul 2009
175 Posts
yes, I still have the brick and servos from a smashed citabria and p-51( that one might still be fixable) planning to use the RX and servos on a free flight glider I have
Old Oct 16, 2011, 02:20 PM
Joined Jul 2009
175 Posts
-update-
It actually seems to be my transmitter( its being weird with the new plane, and another guys micro T-28). IIRC its the one from the UM P-51, are there any known compatibility issues? the Vapor works fine with this radio, this is odd....